Poll

Which Browser AND which Operating System do you regularly use? Choose ONE browser and ONE system.

IE (any version)
Firefox
Safari
Opera
Chrome
Other browser
Windows
Mac
Linux
Commodore 64

Internet Browsers

• 21 replies
Re: Internet Browsers
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 10:09:37 AM »
Windows user tip:

You only need to use Firefox.

Install the plugin ietab : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

and you can use all sites, such as banks with activex programs, or Windows update, inside Firefox

Yeah, it's called IE Tab and I use it all the time. Sometimes it hangs FF when trying to use the Windows update site though.
blblblblbl
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. - Jack Handey

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 12:11:50 PM »
I need to be logged into multiple Gmail and Elite Universe (Gmail for work) accounts at the same time, so always have FireFox as my primary, IE as my 2ndary, Chrome as tertiery, and occasionally have to open Opera when things get completely out of hand.

Mostly use Vista now, but still have XP and 2000 on a couple of other computers.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 01:09:20 PM »
A few times now I've visited proper international commercial sites which tell me the site can only be browsed using IE. Given that in web-design terms, it's harder to get a site to work properly on IE than any of the other browsers (it's full of bugs and its own strange logic), I do find that very surpising.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 01:55:46 PM »
It's simple really; Micro$oft refuses to adhere to W3C standards.
blblblblbl
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. - Jack Handey

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »
For my next computer (only a dream at this current impoverished moment) I'm strongly considering having Linux, Firefox, and Open Office...a totally Microsoft-free existence. bfbfbfbfbf

Living in China and trying to avoid MS's pitfalls with my grey-market software (the only kind it was really feasible for me to have) did NOT endear Microsoft to me. asasasasas
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

BrandeX

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 07:55:20 PM »
Try it using your current computer. If you burn a copy of Ubuntu, you can even install it from within within Windows, and it only requires a few gigs of space - or more if you'd like. If there is any troubles, you can go to Add/Remove in Windows and uninstall it.

old34

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »
Downloaded and installed Apple's new Safari 5 browser. This thing absolutely FLIES.

Also, the new Reader feature is brilliant. Say you go to a New York Times article. Safari figures out it's an article and a small "READER" button appears. Click it, and Safari strips out everything but the article (ads, graphics, pics, etc.) and you can read the article full screen.

Plus, from there you can print the article directly without all the junk or email the article directly. What happens with the latter is it sends the text + a link to your email program which opens a new message ready for sending. But forget that. Say I want to post a copy of an article here. Just copy the email message, which is just the text of the article plus a link, and paste it into your RSC message.

Safari is available for both Macs and PCs and according to Apple's hype, in addition to the noticeably faster speed, they added some stuff to take advantage of Windows and make it even faster on Windows.

Worth a look-see.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.