Dr. Eye Translation software

• 0 replies
Dr. Eye Translation software
« on: April 30, 2008, 11:34:57 AM »
I recently purchased Dr. Eye version 8 Professional Translation software. As a software for machine-based translation, it has its obvious limits like any other similare software. I have played around with it a bit and did a Chinese-English translation of a Chinese text with this software and then with Google web translation.

The result is that Dr. Eye, despite its obvious limitations, did this job much better than the Google translation engine. The "translation" still needs a lot of editing but it is "good enough" for saving a lot of time and energy from doing all the typing work.

Dr. Eye's dictionary database can be updated regularly, and it may also do a reasonable job for FTs in China who want to find out what their Chinese contract version really says. Just be aware of the limitations of machine-based translation software.

I purchased it from a dealer in the US (Twinbridge) for 149 USD (incl. shipping). It can do more than just full text translation - it also has a software module allowing you to type Chinese in any kind of text processor system like MS Word. When running the software while being connected to the Internet, it will pop up translations of Chinese words and characters of a Chinese web page when you click it with a mouse. It also pronounces English and Chinese words, and of course, you can do translations both ways (Chinese-English and vice versa). BTW, it also does translations from Chinese to Japanese and vice versa.

GUI interface is in English and Chinese. A negative point may be that the printed software manual is in Chinese (traditional characters) only. It´s originally from Taiwan but also supports simplified characters. The website of the producer is at:

http://www.dreye.com ,

and as far as I can see they also have a company branch in Shanghai. Maybe, for some of you interested it is possible to obtain this software from a distributor in Mainland China for a much lowe price than the 149 USD I have paid for it.

Perhaps, this "review" can help some of you who are in need of it.
(I have also tested other similar software like TransWhizzard or Systran for Chinese, but their dictionary database is too limited, and the "professional" versions are much more expensive - over 400 USD and more).

HAVE A GOOD TIME!

Re: Dr. Eye Translation software
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 03:02:44 AM »
Cheers

*Blagging chancer here trots off to Demonoid*
It is too early to say.