Game Consoles

• 31 replies

George

• My view of China
Game Consoles
« on: January 13, 2008, 12:20:34 AM »
...to look at a game console. ahahahahah Sorry to all you who thought I was going to go away!!
So what have we got? PS3...Wii...X-box...Any others? None of them are compatible with each other, of course. I'm interested in driving games, kill-em-dead games, golf, etc. Those in the know may now provide advice and opinions on what is best, the best games, the most versatile set-up.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:25:19 PM by Raoul Duke »
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: I think the time has come.....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 12:21:50 AM »
Some folks here have gotten Wiis. I'm not a big gamer myself, but these things sound pretty amazing!
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 12:22:40 AM »
Yes, I'll be checking things out in DongGuan.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 12:24:57 AM »
My electronic games extend to Snake on my mobile phone, hearts, solitaire and Scrabulous on the computer.

Not good at this. pppppppppp

George

• My view of China
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 12:34:58 AM »
Ahem!! 
Those in the know may now provide advice and opinions on what is best
offtopic. asasasasas bibibibibi llllllllll cbcbcbcbcb

George

• My view of China
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 12:41:34 AM »
I forgot PC games. Are they on the same level, technically speaking, as console games?

icebear

• ????
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 12:53:42 AM »
I'm not sure about the situation in DongGuan, but another hour or so into downtown Shenzhen and you can pick up any console/game without trouble. You'll want one which is modded to ensure you can play cheap, widely available copied games - its probably impossible to come across a genuine game here, just like DVDs. Altogether a Xbox360 with two controllers and a fan add on cost me around 2600 in Beiijng - prices should be similar in Guangdong. More for the PS3, less for the Wii.

As far as choices go for what the best one to buy is, its pretty subjective. Graphics will be better on a PS3 or 360, while gameplay elements are innovative on the Wii. Game choices between the PS3 and 360 are pretty similar, with a few exclusives, while the Wii has lots of exclusives and also misses a lot of the headline, eye candy games which are on the other two systems. For shooters or driving games I'd recommend the 360 or PS3. The Wii is much more geared towards group play, casual gamers (like 'your mom' type of casual), while the others are better for individual play.

To get an idea of what games selections are like on each, I'd suggest checking out the three systems respective sections on this website http://www.gamespy.com/ . Check out the reviews, sorted by score and just look at the 5-star or editor's choice ones. Should give you a flavor of what the best of the best are on each system.

Finally, keep in mind that a system you buy in China will be unable to play online, as modding the system to play copied games invalidates your online connection. Good to consider if you're thinking of going that route, or returning home one day with it.

Re: PC games - more technically advanced, but more expensive in the long run to keep up with. A modern console should last... 5+ years before the next generation fully replaces it. With PC games you'll be upgrading your computer continually to keep up. At least in my experience, which is why I haven't played PC games in a long time.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 01:08:12 AM »
Thanks, Ice. I'll look at that website.

old34

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 03:46:06 PM »
I'm a Mii (that's Wii Hua for a Wii owner).

I like the realism of using a wireless control and performing virtually (eg. you actually swing the remote as a racket, bat, golf club in those games). I picked up a 5 RMB copy of Guitar Hero 3 recently and am on the lookout for a Wii Guitar - actually a guitar shaped piece of plastic that the Wii remote snaps into so you can play air guitar along with the groups in the game.

I realize the graphics aren't as sharp and realistic as in the X-Box or PS3, but the sense of action is much more realistic. And it's good exercise, especially the boxing game that comes with. I also believe it can hone your real life skills. I got my Wii last spring. I play Tiger Woods golf about 3 times a week - actually standing there and hitting like the real thing. Chipping and putting, too. This summer and fall I played (real) golf 4 times and shot mid to low 90s - haven't broken 100 in 10 years.

Another benefit, one I mentioned in an earlier post - the console is tiny, about 2/3 the size of a cigar box and setup is fast. I bought a small Wii bag that everything packs into in less than a minute so you can carry it around wih you - take it to a party, to the local bar, to your classroom (if it has a TV), traveling...

Cost-wise, I got mine (Japanese version) for 2000. The bag set me back another 50. I also bought a "Sports Pack" for about 80 which includes about 6 or 7 different plastic pieces that the Wii remote snaps into so it feels more realistic (eg. baseball bat, tennis racket, steering wheel). I've also seen Wii rifles (a plastic rifle the Wii snaps into) if you like the shoot-em-ups.

There's a new Wii Fit board out now that you stand on. You can do yoga, balance exercises, be a football goalie, surf (the water type), ski, etc. standing on it. It's 8-900 RMB at the mo' so I think I'll continue working on my putting and hitting behind the runner.

If you do test out a Wii, don't just use the cartoony Sports Games  disk which comes with it. Check it out with a couple of real games like Tiger Woods, Need for Speed, Call of Duty, as well. 

Well, that's my take as a Wii fanboy.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »
I just bought a wii a few weeks back and i think it's great. As ice said the graphics are not up there with the ps3 but it's comparible to the ps2 but the game play is a lot of fun. Games like bowling and tennis are great as well as golf, but i warn you know after a few hours of playing you will ache the next day.

The console itself was a little over 2000 in Shenzhen but i bought heaps loads of other stuff, extra controllers (who wants to play alone) about 13 games, in total i paid 2500.
Then went back a few days later and bought the wii fit for my missus. Which is a nifty little extra that you can use for exercising and yoga and other stuff to do as the name suggests, keep you fit.

Hhhmm i posted just at the same time as old - his review sounds a lot better than mine.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 03:49:39 PM by Noodles »
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

gonzo

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 04:13:07 PM »
My 8 year old's got a Wii. Fewer games available and they're more expensive than the others, though in China that may not be an issue. Wii sports is great.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

old34

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 04:21:28 PM »
Ney noodles, have you seen the Wii guitar in Shenzhen? My local drug dealer Wii dealer tells me they only be had in Shenzhen right now.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

old34

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 04:42:35 PM »
Three big things to be careful of if you buy the Wii:

1. It will almost certainly be the Japanese version. Whatever the salesman tells you, NO you cannot change the language on the Japanese version. But it will play English games. You just need to download the English manual from the internets, look at the pictures, and match it up to set up the system the first time. Total time - 10 minutes or less.

2. Being the Japanese version, its power supply is 110 in case the salesman forgets to mention it. China is on 220. BUY AN ADAPTOR AND ALWAYS USE IT. Don't plug the Wii into any socket without using the adaptor. When I bought mine in the spring and had to get a generic, lunky adaptor. I got the salesman to throw it in free. Recently, my local dealer told me there is now a 110/220 power cord specifically for the Wii. About 90 RMB so I got that. Makes it easier to pack everything up. Before, everything packed up nicely and then I had this lunky adaptor to carry with it, too. So get the 110/220 adaptor (or check the one that comes in the box to make sure it's 110/220).

3. Your Wii will undoubtedly be "chipped" with a Wiikey so you can play games from all regions. When you set up the Wii, one of the things it can do is connect wirelessly to any available Wifi. You have to set it up. I haven't done it because (a) I don't have Wifi and (b) even if I did, it would connect to the Nintendo-Wii japanese site. One of the things it does when it connects, as I understand it, is to download and update the Wii innards. I have heard, but don't know as fact, that an update may "brick" a Wiikey'ed machine. So be careful about updating.

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 01:45:11 AM »
I Love my Wii!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My top 5 favourite games in no particular order are:
  • Tiger Woods : PGA Tour 08
  • Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games
  • Dancing with the Stars
  • Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • TMNT Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Playing golf with Tiger is good, i only just bought it today and while i suck at it i can see where i can improve and it is much better golf than the one on the wii sports pack.

The Olympic Games are fun, the events are set in the Bei Jing locations which is cool. The event aren't overly hard but there are many different characters that you can choose so you can go for speed or skill it's your choice.

Dancing with the Stars is just fun and i build up a sweat playing it.

Zelda has always been a solid game for nintendo and i really enjoy this single person role play though i do tend to get frustrated with it at times.

TMNT crime fighting turtles, what more could you want.

I also bought the winter sports and CSI today but they dont work so i'll change them tomorrow, at 5 rmb a game it's easy to buy games even the stuff that you normally wouldn't buy at home.

P.S the guitar for guitar hero 3 is available at my local drug wii dealers store :)
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

old34

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 02:01:14 AM »
I Love my Wii!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S the guitar for guitar hero 3 is available at my local drug wii dealers store :)

Bu hui ba! The actual Wii Guitar or just the game? Or a Guitar Hero guitar for PSP or XBox?

I'm told they can't be found anywhere but in Shenzhen and I have 3 Wii dealers looking for me (i.e. if they find it, they have customer for life + a tip).

Did you see it with your own eyes? Any idea on price?

I'm on the afternoon train to Suzhou next Friday if there's an actual, real, Wii guitar to be had there.

Just picked up Zelda last week. It's not bad. (Never did Zelda before.) If you like Zelda, you might like The Sims-Castaways. No horses to ride (at least not yet) but you maneuver around a deserted island trying to survive.

As for Tiger Woods, I just won the Cinquo de Mayo tournament and qualified for Q School on My Tour. Bought some new clubs with the winnings.

Anyway, next time I'm in Suzhou, I'll bring my sticks (controllers) and we can have a tourney. Have you guys tried the Wii at the Shamrock yet, say late afternoon, early evening before the crowd gets there, the pool sticks are still on the wall, and the DJ pumps up the jam?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 02:36:31 AM by old34 »