Zibo Experimental High School

• 6 replies

larksong

• I am an open book that no one knows how to read.
Zibo Experimental High School
« on: September 01, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »
This has been the job hunt from hell. Since April, I've signed two contracts to start this fall, which have been withdrawn for various reasons. I'm on number three, which I hope will be the charm. I'm committed to going to Zibo Experimental High School, but I'd like to get a sense of what I'm getting into. The pay is excellent, non-teaching duties are included in the count of weekly hours, and my dog is welcome in the accommodations. However, I know there's a lot more that could be hiding beneath the surface.

It's a GAC school, so the focus is on English language acquisition and readiness to study abroad in university.

Anyone know anything about the school, the city, or the GAC curriculum? I'd appreciate any tidbit, whether it's a warning or congratulations.

Thanks!

Lark

George

• My view of China
Re: Zibo Experimental High School
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:53:42 AM »
I don't know anything about the school, but Zibo is a good city. The Babe's hometown! I did teach in Zibo for a while, and enjoyed being there. I'm sure you would feel comfortable there. The food is good. Apparently the school is in the Zhangdian district, which is a good place to be. Big Walmart, and all kinds of "western" flavoured eating-places. The traffic is (or used to be) very well-mannered, unlike many other cities.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 07:35:44 PM »
Larksong- " I had an interview with Zibo Experimental School a few days ago where they told me that they want someone to start from January. I haven't been offered the job yet but would appreciate it if you could give me some lowdown on this school.

larksong

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 06:30:06 AM »
Originally, the school offered me a contract with an August 6 start date. I accepted a contract from a different school, but told the folks in Zibo that I would contact them if I found myself in need of a position. The other school withdrew their invitation because they said they received my paperwork too late. Just another bureaucrat aspiring to officious twithood. So, I got back in touch with Zibo, who offered me a contract immediately, this one for October 8.

To be honest, I don't know why my antenna's twitching about this school. It might be that I don't see how things fit together, since it doesn't seem that students follow a typical semester-system schedule. There's nothing wrong that I can put my finger on, but there's so much I don't know. I will gladly fill you in once I get there, but that's a month away.

Lark

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
Lark..you guys need to read thoroughly the posts about Zibo on the link below and also eslcafe.com and use google.com to search like mad for info or you could get burnt by your employer.

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/review/index.pl?noframes;read=29300

larksong

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:04:04 AM »
Lark..you guys need to read thoroughly the posts about Zibo on the link below and also eslcafe.com and use google.com to search like mad for info or you could get burnt by your employer.

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/review/index.pl?noframes;read=29300

That post has a link that is dead. The list below that link is of *all* GAC schools, and isn't saying that all of them are bad. It's also a post that is 2 1/2 years old. I *have* "searched like mad" for info, and I've come up empty except for the same post you gave us; that's why I came here to ask. If you can find another post anywhere, preferably within the last two years, I'd love to see it. Something has my spidey-senses tingling, and I don't know why.

Thanks for the help!

Lark

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 04:17:55 AM »
Spicy sense is from unfiled experience in our minds. You don't have to always know why. Over-riding feelings with logic can get you in trouble anywhere and TIFC.