Do NOT work for the Gallop International English School in Xi'an, Shaanxi!

• 55 replies
Re: Do NOT work for the Gallop International English School in Xi'an, Shaanxi!
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »
As regards the 'mum' username, I don't recall there being anything in the post that stated that the person was a guy, but it really did seem like it was a male writing. Perhaps it was really a computer called MUM (Manufactured User Memberships).

This thread makes me think of the old maxim regarding Politics. It's not the wrongdoing that brings people down, it's the cover-up.

I find it kind of frightening how powerful this forum is, but obviously not as frightening as Gallop are continuing to find it, given how much the Google search engine loves these threads. I don't know how Google Pagerank works, but I can't imagine Gallop reviving this thread once a year with their fake posters is helping their cause.

Maybe soon all that will remian of the school will be a chapter in a book giving the worst PR damage limitation attempts in history.

I'm not sure I'd have written a review of my old school on the site if I'd realised that it would be viewed over 4,000 times. I know that maybe 200 members of the saloon look at a thread each time that someone posts, but these school reviews crop up 1st and 2nd in Google and Yahoo searches respectively.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2011, 03:36:34 AM »
JLMr. B, I saw the real name. It was indisputably male. bjbjbjbjbj

Be glad you posted your review, bad or good. If you're posting the truth, a lot of views is a GOOD thing. A service to others. bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2011, 12:12:33 AM »
Just in the spirit of accuracy, he did say in his last post that he was a guy and his username was referring to "mums the word" rather than anyone's actual mum.

old34

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2011, 02:22:44 AM »
Just in the spirit of accuracy, he did say in his last post that he was a guy and his username was referring to "mums the word" rather than anyone's actual mum.

Yes, I saw that, too. He said he had joined many month's ago but didn't want to post anything about the school until his contract was finished. Thus his choice of Mum as a name (as in "mum's the word").
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2011, 10:18:13 PM »
Saw that, but also saw no reason to believe it any more than anything else he had to say.
I prefer to think he's a transvestite. uuuuuuuuuu
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 12:01:09 AM »
Yeah I know, and just to be clear, I wasn't defending the guy or anything like that, just clarifying because others seemed to think he was trying to pass himself off as a girl which, numerous though they may be, was actually not one of his "crimes."

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »
Understood completely. agagagagag
I'll probably prune this thread back a bit soon. The focus ought to be on that awful school, not some guy.

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »
If I ever visit XiAn I'm gonna visit this place and take some pics right after I see those other famous attractions. Now if I could only remember their names.

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2011, 05:37:40 AM »
psd4f: having visited Xi'an, I wouldn't put this place very high on my list of sights to see. But if you've seen 'em all and you have a rainy afternoon to spare, go ahead.
RD: don't you dare prune this thread. some of the most entertaining reading available online in China. And a pointed warning to anyone who believes for a moment everyting he/she reads on the internet.
The internet is like politics, in that most people fall into one of two categories: people who want to believe what they are told, and will believe anything, no matter how ludicrous, if it is just said with sufficient emotional force; and people who will say anything with sufficient emotional force if it just brings them followers.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2012, 06:31:06 PM »
Sheesh, I'm STILL getting Gallop shills trying to worm their way in here.
Those guys must have a really steep learning curve...what part of "It's not happening" do they not understand? mmmmmmmmmm

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »

psd4f: having visited Xi'an, I wouldn't put this place very high on my list of sights to see. But if you've seen 'em all and you have a rainy afternoon to spare, go ahead.
RD: don't you dare prune this thread. some of the most entertaining reading available online in China. And a pointed warning to anyone who believes for a moment everyting he/she reads on the internet.
The internet is like politics, in that most people fall into one of two categories: people who want to believe what they are told, and will believe anything, no matter how ludicrous, if it is just said with sufficient emotional force; and people who will say anything with sufficient emotional force if it just brings them followers.

I don't believe a word of this.