What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #495 on: January 12, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »
"God's Chinese Son"...thanks, Pashley, I'll be looking for that. Sounds awesome. Came across the Tai Ping Rebellion in a Flashman book and would so like to read some more about them.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #496 on: January 12, 2010, 10:50:54 PM »
"God's Chinese Son"...thanks, Pashley, I'll be looking for that. Sounds awesome.

You can borrow mine. It was not as good as I expected, but worthwhile.

I'm in Fuzhou, will visit Shanghai/Suzhou and Guilin/Yangshuo areas during holiday. PM me for more detail.

Came across the Tai Ping Rebellion in a Flashman book and would so like to read some more about them.

Same place I first encountered them. Nanjing has an interesting Tai Ping Tien Guo museum.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #497 on: January 15, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »
Second bloodiest war EVER?  Golly, that's a big hole in my history reading.
oooooooooo  Off to Wikipedia!
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #498 on: January 15, 2010, 10:50:22 PM »
Con, just read "Flashman and the Dragon" instead, it'll be more fun and quite possibly more correct than Wikipedia agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #499 on: January 21, 2010, 04:49:41 PM »
Jules Hardy "Altered Land" - interesting novel about an adult who was the victim of an IRA bomb on his 13th birthday, ended up deaf.  Well written, and from his perspective and his mother's.

« Reply #500 on: January 22, 2010, 03:18:39 AM »
After 10 years of urging from my older brother, I started reading the first of King's Dark Tower novels on my flight to China a couple months ago.  Loved it.

Now, for whatever reason, every bookstore I've been to in Hangzhou that has English books has the series, but only 1, 3, 4, 5, etc...  No 2 to be found.

Beyond infuriating.

Schnerby

« Reply #501 on: January 22, 2010, 03:31:35 AM »
Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management.

Why? Because I should be packing.

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #502 on: January 28, 2010, 03:34:17 PM »
Yesterday I read a review on ChinaSMACK of the book Niubi!: The Real Chinese You Were Never Taught in School. Since I'm at home in the States now, I popped over to the local Borders and picked up a copy. 

The book is absolutely hilarious. Not only does it have a ton of slang, profane, and filthy expressions, but it also includes explanations of how many of the terms came to mean what they mean. It's interesting, funny, and informative. Highly recommended!

Here's a link to it on Amazon.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #503 on: January 28, 2010, 04:02:51 PM »
This is one Chinese book I don't need!  I have a great Chinese teacher who is more than happy to tell me what I need to say - and help me practice exactly the right intonation (as opposed to tones!) to make it sound right. uuuuuuuuuu

Right now my reading is... not of the 'can't put it down' variety.  Business Chinese and CS4 for Digital Photographers.  Useful, but not take to bed stuff.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #504 on: January 28, 2010, 06:12:18 PM »
I'm reading an interesting book called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Basically, it's about all the intangible x-factors that make a person succesful, and it's pretty thought provoking. He used numerous examples, including Bill Gates, the Beatles and Mozart. I have so far learned that unless you were born between January and March, you have no chance of making it in the NHL, why the most successful corperate lawyers in America are jews born between 1934 and 1935, and why you can have an IQ of over 200 and still spend your life working menial, low paying jobs.

« Reply #505 on: January 28, 2010, 07:27:53 PM »
I just finished Nineteen Eighty-Four...That book just get more and more creepy every time I read it. I think contrasting that book with Brave New World is going to be fun, as the two societies in the novels are so extremely different and yet riddled with similarities.
Time to get busy with Catch-22, followed by Ray Bradbury and Philip K. Dick...I am enjoying my vacation immensely agagagagag agagagagag

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #506 on: January 28, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »
I'm reading an interesting book called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Basically, it's about all the intangible x-factors that make a person succesful, and it's pretty thought provoking. He used numerous examples, including Bill Gates, the Beatles and Mozart. I have so far learned that unless you were born between January and March, you have no chance of making it in the NHL, why the most successful corperate lawyers in America are jews born between 1934 and 1935, and why you can have an IQ of over 200 and still spend your life working menial, low paying jobs.

Great book. All of Gladwell's writing is interesting.

A-Train

« Reply #507 on: January 29, 2010, 05:17:58 AM »
I just finished Nineteen Eighty-Four...That book just get more and more creepy every time I read it. I think contrasting that book with Brave New World is going to be fun, as the two societies in the novels are so extremely different and yet riddled with similarities.
Time to get busy with Catch-22, followed by Ray Bradbury and Philip K. Dick...I am enjoying my vacation immensely agagagagag agagagagag

Great choices!  Catch-22 is a classic.  Which Philip K. Dick" novel will you be reading?  I just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy which will gave me chills followed by nightmares.  Next up is "Let the Great World Spin".
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #508 on: January 29, 2010, 05:15:19 PM »
JD Salinger died  aoaoaoaoao

« Reply #509 on: January 30, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »
Great choices!  Catch-22 is a classic.  Which Philip K. Dick" novel will you be reading?  I just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy which will gave me chills followed by nightmares.  Next up is "Let the Great World Spin".
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep...I have been downloading almost all his works these days...Been toying with the idea of a sci-fi course in the Fall Term. Just watched the movie adaptation of A Scanner Darkly...good one, but I preferred the book.