What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

Newbs

Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2007, 01:56:46 PM »
Noodles, stop me if I'm telling you the bloody obvious but Spike's war trilogy eventually became 6, or maybe 7, volumes.  In order, they are
"Adolf Hitler, my part in his downfall"
"Rommel?  Gunner who?"
"Monty, his part in my victory"
"Mussolini, his part in my downfall"
"Where have all the bullets gone?" and
"Goodbye soldier"

There may have been a 7th volume, but I've only got 6.

"Rivertown"  good read. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2007, 02:13:48 PM »
Hey Newbs, Yeah i've read the others that's why i got these two. Although not read where have all the bullets gone.

For the life of me i can't remember his books about the Irish guy/family living in London. Also great fun and i'd love to read again.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2007, 11:15:43 PM »
Books on Laws of Attraction, the Secret, multiple magazines on Interior Design and many many more things. I am multi-taskingreading!!!

woza

« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2007, 11:57:23 PM »
I have this new contract starting, very important, no textbook, so I have been reading a lot about curriculum planning from the internet.  It has really centred me, on how to go about doing this.  I have downloaded a lot about this global company as well.
Haven't actually read a book for a while, novels bore me now, whereas I used to love them.

Acjade

« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2007, 12:16:23 AM »
Two good books available in Foreign Language Bookstores are:

TEACHER'S HANDBOOK: Contextualized Language Instruction
Original Book ISBN 0-8384-1465-6

DESIGNING LANGUAGE COURSES: A Guide for Teachers.
Original book ISBN 0-8384.7909-%

Both books by Heinle and Heinle

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2007, 12:27:47 PM »
Two good books available in Foreign Language Bookstores are:

TEACHER'S HANDBOOK: Contextualized Language Instruction
Original Book ISBN 0-8384-1465-6

DESIGNING LANGUAGE COURSES: A Guide for Teachers.
Original book ISBN 0-8384.7909-%

Both books by Heinle and Heinle

Jade, This would be good info over in the "Teachers Tips" thread. IN fact, may need a "Curriculum/Course Development" thread all it's own.

And a tad off topic.....(it's about writin' a reader okay?)
Oh, does anybody remember when in saloon one there was an attempt to write a saloon course book? Now, I know Raoul has the market on the concierge, room service, wait staff, cabbie, pink hair-dresser training manuals/supplements but is there a group here working on a basic primer. (I know there's a joke to follow this with too but my thoughts fail me)

anya

« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2007, 07:19:23 PM »
The Zahir, by Coehlo. i stole it from a hostel in Shanghai, and so far it's good :)
"I want justice," I shouted.
"You'll get the law," he replied. "We gave up on justice long ago. The best we can do is law." -p. 207

« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2007, 07:48:13 PM »
The complete works of Orhan Pamuk. It's for work, but they are actually really good.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2007, 09:07:35 PM »
The Zahir, by Coehlo. i stole it from a hostel in Shanghai, and so far it's good :)

that book is amazing... I read it twice this year and will probably do it again soon! just love it... no one writes obsession and passion like Coelho does
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2007, 02:47:46 AM »
How come this thread falls away so fast and the movie thread stays up there? aoaoaoaoao

My books from Amazon arrived with 2 books by Eric Frank Russell in them - and not just books - compendia! The first is short stories, the 2nd 5 novels.

Nice for this weather.

Acjade

« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2007, 02:56:19 AM »
William Faulkner: A Light In August.

Re-reading The Secret Garden and The Three Musketeers.

woza

« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2007, 05:57:01 AM »
AJ thanks for that.  Teleplayer they are books.  Don't be so anal.  The OP asked what books are you reading, I am actually researching books to buy on the internet on this subject, and maybe I will read them.  Am I being too broad?
I am currently reading Cat in The Hat to my grandson.  I am not enjoying it at all.
Why is this book so popular?

« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2007, 08:23:32 AM »
A Canticle for Leibowitz, by Walter M. Miller Jr.

"There were spaceships again that century, and the ships were manned by fuzzy impossibilities that walked on two legs and sprouted tufts of hair in unlikely anatomical regions.  They were a garrulous kind.  They belonged to a race quite capable of admiring its own image in a mirror, and equally capable of cutting its own throat before the altar of some tribal god, such as the deity of Daily Shaving.  It was a species that often considered itself to be, basically, a race of divinely inspired toolmakers; any intelligent entity from Arcturus would instantly have perceived them to be, basically, a race of impassioned after-dinner speechmakers."

Speaks for itself.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2007, 01:47:43 PM »
Woza, get a hold of "the political Dr Seuss" if you can, a good doco on the man. The point is that unlike most kids writers, he is using concepts (like equality and other good things for people to learn) as mythopoetic ideals for the kids to absorb.

Combining that with reading "The Key" mentioned earlier, the long term effect of such writings in the population can be seen.

I too am reading some of his books, but I am enjoying them. Wife seeing them for the first time, heh. She wants to see how they turn out.

Nearly finished century rain by Alastair Reynolds. Good ultra-cyberpunk sf.

Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2007, 08:35:21 PM »
Dr. Seuss is great. A friend just brought a bunch of his stuff from Canada. The kid loves Hop on Pop. I personally can't get enough of Green Eggs and Ham.