What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

Borkya

Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #675 on: September 18, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »
I've finally jumped on the "Game of Thrones" bandwagon. I just finished season one of the HBO series, and not being able to wait for season 2 to find out what happens next I started on the books. Great stuff...not only does it have some of the most crackling dialogue in recent literary history (Jon Snow: I have no idea who my mother is. Tyrion Lannister:Some woman, no doubt. Most of them are. ahahahahah) but it's loaded with all the gratituitous sex, violence and girl-on-girl action that the Harry Potter series was sorely lacking.

I'm so tempted to start this series, and i even have it all loaded up on my calibre library, but I'm just a little worried. The series isn't over yet, and it took him what, 5 years(?) to write the most recent book. I hate starting series that could keep me in suspense for decades (I'm a robert jordan victim. It has been almost 20 years and I'm still waiting for it to finish.)

« Reply #676 on: September 18, 2011, 05:26:47 PM »
Err...Borkya, you do know that Robert Jordan passed away in 2007, right? There ain't going to be a finish.
I read all the R.R.Martin books, they are amazing. Yeah, it'll take him a while to finish the next one...
Just finished "Edward Trencom's Nose"...a novel about intrigue, murder, spies and cheese...amazingly funny novel, only problem with it is that, once you have finished reading it, you really want cheese, proper cheese.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Borkya

« Reply #677 on: September 18, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »
Err...Borkya, you do know that Robert Jordan passed away in 2007, right? There ain't going to be a finish.

Yeah, but he's also a crazy popular writer with every book being a NYT bestseller, so they ain't gonna give up that gravy train. They V.C. Andrew'd him!

A new writer was hired a few years ago to finish it (based on Jordans extensive notes.) He's written two books so far, and the last one should be out in 2012. So someday....someday I hope I will finally be put out of my misery.

I feel like RR Martin could also kick the bucket any day now. But I think they would hire out the rest of the books just to make the money too. 

« Reply #678 on: September 18, 2011, 10:51:35 PM »
Hey Borkya, it doesn't matter. There have been many books written after the author has died......by other people. I just wish that I could find a series that really motivated me to read like........wait for it..........Harry Potter!  bfbfbfbfbf Yeah, it is for kids but has a lot of suspense. So there! I did not care for the last book, though!

« Reply #679 on: September 19, 2011, 02:36:51 AM »
Mac Attack, have you read Terry Pratchett. His Discworld series is pretty good. Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" series is spiffy too. And if you like a good alternative history/noir send-up, Malcolm Pryce's "Aberystywyth" series is cool too. If you liked Harry Potter, I do think Derek Landy would be right up your alley agagagagag agagagagag I liked Potter too, despite it having the dumbest, weakest, most useless protagonist in the history of literature.  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #680 on: September 19, 2011, 01:34:04 PM »
a Robert Jordan victim

They V.C. Andrew'd him!
Nice turn of phrase, B.
I suspect that soon you'll be saying "They Escaped Lunatic'd him"

EtR: a weaker, more useless protatgonist than Rincewind? (R isn't dumb)

« Reply #681 on: September 19, 2011, 02:54:24 PM »
Yes, Harry Potter is more useless than Rincewind. I never liked Harry Potter, the character I mean, he is such a useless, snivelling nincompoop. Give me well-rounded, entertaining, delightfully cowardly chararcter like Rincewind any day agagagagag agagagagag

« Reply #682 on: September 22, 2011, 04:37:25 AM »
Yes, R is certainly a fun character, and although he is cast as the fall guy, he does have an endearing (or is that enduring?) quality. Who else could survive to inherit the chair of egregious professor of cruel and unusual geography? R is a character made to be, not well-rounded, but well-ground under the heels of a capricious fate. Yet he somehow survives.
Harry Pigu OTOH is a darling who is born to great things, but he somehow comes across as, how shall I say it? Looking for a facewash in yellow snow.

<Damn it! I just aksed to have some business cards made. I should have remembered to have "Egregious Professor of C&E Geography" printed on my cards!>

« Reply #683 on: September 22, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »
Harry Potter is not born to great things, his protagonist-status comes from two things: a monstrous cliche and Voldemort having not fully considered his back-up plan. The cliche being that Lilly Potter defeats the most powerful curse of all with the power of love... aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa and Voldemort accidentally makes him a Horcrux...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #684 on: September 23, 2011, 05:41:34 PM »
And now I place the harshest prophecy regarding the fate of ETR. It is worse than anything he could ever have imagined.

Eric, your grandchild will be a literary teacher like yourself, only specializing in works from the late 20th and early 21st century.  Your final moments will be spend having an apoplectic seizure when you find the syllabus for your grandchild's upcoming class entitled "An In-depth Study of the High Literary Merits of the Harry Potter Series".

At least this will spare ETR from living long enough to see one of his great-grandchildren being the screenwriter for a very creative Hollywood reimagining called "Harry Potter and the Golden Fleece of Odin on Gilligan's Island".
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Borkya

« Reply #685 on: September 23, 2011, 07:15:36 PM »
At least this will spare ETR from living long enough to see one of his great-grandchildren being the screenwriter for a very creative Hollywood reimagining called "Harry Potter and the Golden Fleece of Odin on Gilligan's Island".

I am totally writing this book right now. (Then I'll sell the rights to his great-grandchildren and make a bundle.)

In other, on topic news, I've just about finished A Wrinkle in Time. Classic!

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #686 on: September 23, 2011, 07:45:11 PM »
Journey to the West. That fukin monkey needs to be spanked.  afafafafaf Ya I said it.  uuuuuuuuuu

« Reply #687 on: September 23, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »
Splutter...gasp...nononono...actually, I think I would read something entitled "Harry Potter and the Golden Fleece of Odin on Gilligan's Island"...I would not like it, that goes without saying.

I just finished "Bloodsucking Fiends", "Bite Me", "You Suck", "Fluke", "Fool", "Practical Demon-Keeping", "The Lust-Lizard of Melancholy Cove" and "The Island of the Love-Sequined Nun"...Christopher Moore is kind of addictive...I don't know if the word "Fucksocks" is in the OED but it really should be.

Hahaha...sell the rights to my great-granchildren...if they are all going to be academics, they won't have a dime agagagagag agagagagag

« Reply #688 on: September 24, 2011, 12:49:11 AM »
actually its fuckstockings. mehh. I wonder if that's like a contraceptive for the anatomically confused.
Was thinking of COR's comment from another thread:
When the pharmacist asked how they used them, the men replied they used them the same way he had shown them when they bought them. They would even show him. They then rolled it onto their thumbs.
[/size]

« Reply #689 on: September 24, 2011, 01:45:52 AM »
Hi welcome to my first post.So I remembered my log-in details!!Currently reading Jules Verne's "Captain Hatteras",V S  Naipaul's "Magic Seeds" & Yuyin Li's "Gold Boy,Emerald Girl".Like to have several on the go at once.That's a clean upstanding first post or what?Cheers fellow bookophiles.