What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #540 on: March 16, 2010, 05:31:23 PM »
Just started "The Time Traveller's Wife"- quite an interesting read so far!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #541 on: April 09, 2010, 04:28:30 PM »
The Road
Cormac McCarthy.

In terms of what happens it's essentially the same as the movie (if you saw the movie first), but there's a qualitative difference, both more intimate and more epic and a bit less Viggo.  I keep trying to read Cormac McCarthy books, and this is the first I made it through.  McCarthy isn't purposely obscurantist I don't think, just really, really economical and when his references to higher things do come, they're often presented in but a single sentence, whereas some other things, the signs of the physical world for example, are relentlessly repeated.  I'm unsure what this means but he does it effectively.

I award this book the CP Thumbs Up Seal of Non-Rejection.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #542 on: April 09, 2010, 06:17:41 PM »
China Melville's "Un Lun Dun"...and a heap of other novels...I am, for strange reasons, on an Agatha Christie trip...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #543 on: April 09, 2010, 07:21:57 PM »
Loved Blood Meridian.  Every time I read McCarthy's stuff, I start sating things like "I reckon" and "Well, it will or it won't" and other such laconic nuggets, until my friends threaten to glass me.

Just finished The Soong Dynasty, which Pashley left me.  Utterly epic.  Except for Ching Ling, wife of Sun Yat Sen, that family does NOT come off well in this book.  I recommend it highly.

Now digging into Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie.  Bitchin' so far.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #544 on: September 16, 2010, 12:19:24 AM »
I have the new Pratchett book....I have the new Pratchett book...
I also have a copy of the...hmmm...literature produced by Borkya and her husband, which I am going to write a review of...and I mean a proper review...the kind of self-important, lengthy, snooty thing one would find in a 19th Century newspaper... agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Borkya

« Reply #545 on: September 16, 2010, 03:57:37 AM »
I have the new Pratchett book....I have the new Pratchett book...
I also have a copy of the...hmmm...literature produced by Borkya and her husband, which I am going to write a review of...and I mean a proper review...the kind of self-important, lengthy, snooty thing one would find in a 19th Century newspaper... agagagagag agagagagag

I heard about this tonight! I can't wait....

...I think....

« Reply #546 on: September 26, 2010, 04:09:01 AM »
the kind of self-important, lengthy, snooty thing one would find in a 19th Century newspaper

Is it your birthday already?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #547 on: September 26, 2010, 03:52:12 PM »
I'm working my way through Churchill's six-volume "The Second World War". Some of it is rather dry, but it is a unique & fascinating series. The whole thing is seen through his eyes and none of the other leaders wrote such a detailed memoir. Also, it is quite well written; one sees why he got a Nobel for literature.

Suzhou Bookworm has at least some of the volumes in hardcover. I'm buying the trade paperbacks. 70 rmb each in Shanghai, but printed right on the cover are UK prices -- 20 or 25 pounds apiece. Interesting that they are so much cheaper in China.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #548 on: September 26, 2010, 05:46:53 PM »
I had a lot of time to read this summer. Some of the better reads I had were-

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald-no, I'd never read it before. Desrves its reputation as a classic.
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga-brilliant look at modern India told from the point of view of a servant who rises to the position of a prominent business man
Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell-I taught my literature students Outliers last semester, but haven't read any other Gladwell books. This was good stuff, and I told all my students I'm still in contact with to read this as well.
Freakanomincs by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner-Gladwell-esque book that uses theories of economics to track seemingly unrelated social trends
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt-Non-fiction novel that acts as a brilliant "city confidential" of Savanah, Georgia set against the backdrop of a high publicity murder trial
Practical Demon Keeping by Christopher Moore-Light, easy amusing read. Not as funny as Moore's other works, as he originally intended it to be a horror novel
Asian Godfathers by Joe Studwell-A complex and insightful look at how the economies of Southeast Asia have been controlled for the past 150 years by the same 50 families, and how the factors that allow this are responsible for the lack of growth in the region.

I'm currently working on The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter Thompson.

« Reply #549 on: November 04, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »
At least being confined to a hospital bed is a good way to get some reading done. Read “Perdido Street Station” by China Mieville, “Paradise Lost”, “Crime and Punishment”, “The Murder of Roger Ackroyd” and am halfway through “Against Nature” by Huysmans...the latter being that wicked book Lord Henry Wotton lends to the easily corrupted Dorian Gray...

« Reply #550 on: November 04, 2010, 10:55:32 PM »
I'm now reading John Grisham's 'The Broker' courtesy of Ruth  bfbfbfbfbf. Really good, I really enjoy reading about life in Italy, but unlike the other Grisham books, would make a pretty boring flim, imo. Good reading though.
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Borkya

« Reply #551 on: November 05, 2010, 03:14:22 AM »
Well, I'm a little afraid to mention this for outing myself as a super nerd, but I am re-reading all of the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time books in anticipation of the last one coming out next year. So far I'm on book 6 and there are going to be 15 in all. Each book is between 600-900 pages so it is taking me a little while to get through, but I plan on finishing book 14 right before book 15 comes out.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #552 on: November 06, 2010, 03:09:32 AM »
Just finished the very wonderful Lacuna by Margaret Attwood.Usually hate sci-fi but made an exception in her case. And now am reading Two Caravans by somebody Ukranian whose name escapes me.
Quite fun.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #553 on: November 10, 2010, 03:47:30 AM »
I finally picked up a copy of Laird Hunt's, my grad professor, second book, The Impossibly (which is being released in French this month). So far, a bit confusing. He really likes using experimental styles.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

NATO

« Reply #554 on: November 10, 2010, 03:58:39 AM »
Demons - by Dostoyevsky, whether it ever gets finished remains to be seen.