What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #510 on: February 05, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »
I know you hate movies, Red, but you might screen Brazil.  Perfect fit with 1984, Brave New World and Farenheit 451 (um, which I've never read).
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #511 on: February 05, 2010, 06:18:04 PM »
I love Brazil, Con agagagagag agagagagag It's so delightfully weird.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #512 on: February 05, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »
I just finished reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.It's really a very interesting read. It's about the intangible factors that make people succesful. It uses such diverse examples as Bill Gates and The Beatles. Among the more interesting things detailed in the book are that you have virtually no chance of making the NHL if you are born in the second half of the year. 40 per cent of NHL players were born between January and March. The reason? The eligibilty cutoff for age-class hockey is January 1. Therefore, a boy who turns 10 on Jan 2 could be playing alongside a boy who doesn't turn 10 until Dec 27. The bigger, more mature, more experienced boy will be perceived as more talented and will get more playing time, better coaching and will develop faster. Disturbingly, the same is true in education.

It also tells us why the most succesful corperate lawyers are Jews born in the mid 1930s (because they were shut out of the elite law firms and had to go into business for themselves handling the type of work other firms wouldn't touch-hostile takeovers. However, in the 1970s this became the bread and butter of corperate law, and they were the only ones with the experience in these matters), why Korean and Columbian planes crash more than American ones (because the culture of respect for authority prevents co-pilots from pointing out pilot errors) and why Asian kids are better at math than Western kids (because the language of numbers is more logical in Asian languages and cultures rooted in rice farming have a stronger work ethic than those rooted in wheat farming). Seriously, it's fascinating stuff.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #513 on: February 05, 2010, 07:58:03 PM »
Sort of on the Outliers topic - did it mention anything about Germany?  I have German friends who believe that since the German language has adopted words etc from other languages (especially English) that the precision engineering etc has declined, as these languages don't give the same structure to thinking.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #514 on: February 05, 2010, 09:36:31 PM »
Sort of on the Outliers topic - did it mention anything about Germany?  I have German friends who believe that since the German language has adopted words etc from other languages (especially English) that the precision engineering etc has declined, as these languages don't give the same structure to thinking.

A German talking about purity eh? That's not an outlier.

A-Train

« Reply #515 on: February 06, 2010, 04:38:09 AM »
I just finished reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.

I heard him interviewed on National Public Radio and he did sound very intresting, yet down to earth.  He stressed the value of plain hard work and repetition; citing the Beatles experience in Hamburg where they played 10-12 hours each day and were virtually secluded with each other in that foreign city.  It brought them together as a group and honed their skills without distraction.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #516 on: February 06, 2010, 06:23:12 AM »
I enjoyed Outliers.  It was more than about putting in the time, about 10,000 hours.  It also talked about being in the right place and the right time (Bill Gates), having the right birthdate (hockey players), and so on. 

Right now I am reading some pleasant trash - "Chasing Eden" by S.L. Linnea. Also on the go, some heavy reading - "Jung Uncorked: Book Two - Rare Vintages from the Cellar of Analytic Phschology" by Daryl Sharp.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #517 on: February 12, 2010, 04:13:01 AM »
Alexander McCall Smith - The right attitude to rain.   Interesting, unusual, no sleuths, no murders, just slow development of relationships through the eyes of a highly literate moral philosopher.

« Reply #518 on: February 15, 2010, 03:56:59 PM »
re reading Jane Eyre...for Uni but I had forgotten most of the book  bibibibibi
Attitude counts for EVERYTHING

« Reply #519 on: February 15, 2010, 06:49:23 PM »
I have discovered a good way to go mildly insane...read Nineteen Eighty-Four, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, Animal Farm, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, The Time Machine and Erewhon back to back... agagagagag agagagagag.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

VIVI

« Reply #520 on: February 19, 2010, 12:19:28 AM »
 but hardly got the meaning  ananananan

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #521 on: March 08, 2010, 01:25:04 AM »
"A Loyal Character Dancer" by Qiu Xiaolong.  Nice little Chinese detective mystery.  I think Lisa See is probably stronger as a detective writer, but this one is interesting for the Shanghai view and triad discussion.

« Reply #522 on: March 08, 2010, 03:54:30 AM »
What Am I reading??

I just finished STEVE FORBES "How Capitalism will save us."
Amazing book and really easy to read and understand.  They had the complaints followed by an answer and then an explanation.  Learned TONS.

Then to read more about China I pulled my "History of Imperial China" off the shelf and decided to wade through that.  Fascinating stuff.  Never had heard of the RED EYEBROWS and how they terrorized people back in the day.  Got some good ideas for our site too.

Also trying to slog through ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand.  Tough but looks like so far an interesting read.

Who is John Galt?
Don't spoil it for me!
One and only Chinese/English Comic strip on the web.  See my profile for the website!

old34

« Reply #523 on: March 08, 2010, 04:29:13 AM »
What Am I reading??

I just finished STEVE FORBES "How Capitalism will save us."
Amazing book and really easy to read and understand.  They had the complaints followed by an answer and then an explanation.  Learned TONS.

Then to read more about China I pulled my "History of Imperial China" off the shelf and decided to wade through that.  Fascinating stuff.  Never had heard of the RED EYEBROWS and how they terrorized people back in the day.  Got some good ideas for our site too.

Also trying to slog through ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand.  Tough but looks like so far an interesting read.

Who is John Galt?
Don't spoil it for me!

John Galt was the Sire to Ayn Rand's Dam. The resulting Foal was Steve Forbes. Hope that helps!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #524 on: March 08, 2010, 04:32:23 AM »
 bkbkbkbkbk bkbkbkbkbk 

And apt.