What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2007, 09:36:43 PM »
Woza, the Cat in the Hat loves to have fun, and though he means well, makes a terrible mess and nearly ruins everything.  But in the end he makes it good, Mom comes home without incident and everyone had a good time.  Curious George does that in every single one of his books.

That said, it's far from my favourite.  Green Eggs and Ham is arguably his true Seuss-terpiece, although Hop On Pop and Oh, the Things You Will Do are both candidates as well.

Oh, does anybody remember when in saloon one there was an attempt to write a saloon course book? Now, I know Raoul has the market on the concierge, room service, wait staff, cabbie, pink hair-dresser training manuals/supplements but is there a group here working on a basic primer. (I know there's a joke to follow this with too but my thoughts fail me)

Yes, in a way.  The English textbook primer dwindled out when we all figured out that each of us had a distinct book in mind: some wanted a book for adult professionals, some a grammar book, some an 'Apple-Banana' starter book. 

Tell you what, I'll start a thread Upstairs in the serious room...
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Mimi

« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2007, 06:05:41 PM »
I just read Rosemary's Baby

Blech.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »
I am re-reading the book I read last post, it was great.

I am also reading "the god delusion" by Dawkins (as a pdf which is not as happy, but at least I have it to read and didn't have to pay for it. I like real books, but feel guilty printing so many pages on a printer. Don't know why.), but its very very good so far.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2007, 08:12:09 PM »
To cheer myself up and because winter is coming, I ordered a pile of books from Amazon (it's amazing how much money you can save by having the social life of a skunk) and am going to settle down with a mug of coffee, followed be the adventures of Flashman shortly to be followed by the complete works of Jerome K Jerome, interspersed with the works of the one true master, P.G.Wodehouse.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2007, 08:28:11 PM »
Man its been years since I read PG Wodehouse.  He is so good and funny.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2007, 09:13:53 PM »
I can't decide which I like best: Jeeves&Wooster or the Blandings stories. I want to be Lord Emsworth when I grow old.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2007, 09:44:46 PM »
Jeeves.  Remember the old Wodehouse Playhouse - ABC TV back in the olden days?

« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2007, 09:53:54 PM »
"Rich Dad, Poor Dad". Interesting reading!!!

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2007, 10:00:13 PM »
Jeeves.  Remember the old Wodehouse Playhouse - ABC TV back in the olden days?

Alas, no, this did not get aired in Denmark. Have bought and watched, over and over and over and over etc the Jeeves&Wooster TV show.

Whoops...hi-jacking...better stop...If any of you are unfimiliar with George Macdonald Fraser, I recommend you pick up his Flashman series.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2007, 01:31:39 PM »
Munsch has a website where you can download MP3's of him reading his stories.  I presented the Paper Bag Princess to my college students last year, they loved it, though I had to do a lot of explaining...Robert really gets into his reading and sometimes zips through stuff.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2007, 04:34:27 AM »
Munch's awesome.  My kindies loved his stuff.  Part of it's the stories- genuinely funny.  And his illustrators embed little eye grabbers and puzzles to keep the book from getting stale.

I read about 60 pages into The Red Tent, but Bugalugs took it to ship back to Juanbimba.  llllllllll God, I hope Bookworm has it- it's amazing.

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2007, 06:09:20 AM »
Should have read faster. Totally enjoyed it, i read it twice. I'll be on the look out for it to add to my collection :)
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2007, 05:30:48 AM »
 It ends with a bitchin' car chase.

englishmoose.com

« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2007, 05:51:31 AM »
When the Going Gets Weird: the twisted life and times of hunter s. thompson, by Peter O. Whitmer - ISBN 1-56282-856-8
Raoul Duke please note!

Acjade

« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2007, 12:11:28 PM »
Oracle Bones by Peter Hessler.

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

Re-reading Treasure Island.