applying for jobs again

• 28 replies

kitano

• Children of the Atom
applying for jobs again
« on: April 13, 2011, 05:27:16 AM »
bah

it's so daunting i don't want to start. now i could get in touch with my old employers, but i dunno if i could be bothered with them again. so i get these endless lists of jobs that all sound kind of rubbish, you really can't get anything from these ads at all since they are all done by format

grrrr

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Re: applying for jobs again
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:16:25 PM »
Can you narrow it down a bit? University or kindergarten? Big city or small? High pay or short hours? Are you interested in an adventure in Chinese back-of-beyond-istan? Are mountains, or the sea, or good nightclubs an essential feature for where you want to live?

What about your qualifications? Job search is very different for an MA with 20 years experience vs. a high school dropout with three years in China. Most of us are somewhere between those extremes, but where?
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Tuco

• Let me go and I'll pardon you.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 02:55:15 PM »
yea I know the feeling. I am in the middle of this search. Trying to find work that pays decently but most do not. In Beijing, the city has just too many newbies so the schools usually don't want to look at me because of what i am asking.  Also, some places figure that since I am not fresh off the plane, they cannot pull the old scams with me again while others just do not want someone with many years experience....go figure.

I haven't looked much outside of my own locale but started to check things out.
seems there are just too many jobs floating around.

which are good and legit seems to be more of the worry for me. I am really careful about most places. Hence, the initial contact has some loophole for me to know if this place is to be weeded out or not.  companies need to qualify as well.

yea, which? Uni? kids? VIP? it helps to know which you go into.

I've done adult business classes for about 5 years and got some good VIP classes now. Unfortunately, I just dropped the bomb on them that this is going to be my final year in Beijing. But, they were most understanding as many Chinese people agree that Beijing is not a good city for living. For work. its great, but im tired of the pollution and population issue.

City has changed.

good luck
When you have shoot, shoot, don't talk.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 03:11:07 AM »
I'm thinking about Hangzhou, somewhere around Jiangsu or Zheijang, I don't think I would teach kids again

I think the problem is that I'm not so sure what I want, my last job was teaching business but it gets kind of boring

It's just how daunting it is to start, endless adverts from the same template....I need to get my work hat on it....

xwarrior

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 04:06:26 AM »
Good luck kitano. Stay strong ... when in doubt think of all those girls waiting for your return.

When the going gets tough ... the tough get smart and get a girl to send off all the applications.

I have been through the routine many times. Not an easy time - only thing is to grind it out.

Tuco is walking down the same path and really sums up the situation. Experience of teaching in China is something of a handicap - it is not because I am picky, more a case of being able to see the traps in so many offers.

Hope you guys get a job soon because I am throwing myself to the wolves again sometime in the near future - procrastination seems so much easier than application.

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Monkey King

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »
Got any cash behind you? It's not often advised, but since you've been in China before, I've heard three month business visas are once again relatively obtainable.   How about just showing up in Hangzhou / Suzhou wherever and hitting the streets?

Mimi

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 01:11:51 AM »
I'm with you.  I'm seriously considering staying at my school.  But, they're negotiating pretty hard and I'm just not sure I want to spend my last year in China in Nanjing.  But, looking for a new job just sucks.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 04:58:32 AM »
done nothing again today haha

I don't really have the cash to just turn up, every time i have a break i believe that i'll get a house and everything sorted first as it's such a massive advantage applying for jobs if you are there as opposed to email, but i never do....

Mimi

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 05:38:59 PM »
Basic advertised offers just keep getting worse and worse.  Evidence:

1. A college in Inner Mongolia is offering 6000 for TWENTY teaching hours, and you get half pay during the winter holidays AND only 6000RMB for airfare.  That doesn't even cover some one-way tickets, depending on airline. 

2. A college in Changsha offering 4000RMB for 18 hours.  You get 5000 if you have a PhD.  bibibibibi

3. A training school in Zhejiang offering less than I make for 14 hours at a college for 25 hours teaching kids. 

Are people taking these jobs???  I wouldn't mind getting low pay at a university if it was only for 12 hours, but sheesh.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 06:16:18 PM »
I've been looking too, just in case my school doesn't want me again, and the ads are SHOCKING at the moment. Isn't now the time when they advertise?

fox

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 06:25:46 PM »
my school is hiring. pm me if interested.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

jpd01

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 07:13:24 PM »
Now is the time that a lot of schools will consider whether their fts will stay or go but I think most of the decent schools won't ever bother with putting up an add. They just either ask their current fts if they know anyone or look at the inquiries that have come direct to them through their websites.
I don't think the quality (ie nice environment) Universities ever really need to put up an add on a job searching website as good word of mouth usually has their positions filled up pretty quick.
Try spamming a bunch of University websites and see what you come up with. That's how I got my current gig.   
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »
Try spamming a bunch of University websites and see what you come up with. That's how I got my current gig.   

Absolutely, but I don;t think it's faor to call it spamming. Send all your information to the Universities that you're interested in. My University, which is a very good place to work and in a good location, doesn't get a lot of applications.

The important thing is to send everything; copies of qualifications and passport, release letter etc. Tbh I don't know the definitive list, but I think that if you don't send everything, you'll be ignored.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 08:36:04 PM »
that's what I did, Mr Benn but half of the emails on the websites bounce.The faxes don't work and it is getting really annoying. If anyone out there is leaving a NICE uni job in a NICE town please let me know..
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Borkya

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 11:11:21 PM »

I agree, that's how I did it too (Although I wouldn't consider it spamming either.) I think that is the best way to get a job because you get to pick the place first, and then the school in the place you want to be.

My school didn't advertise at the time and I'm very happy here, so I know being proactive was the best thing for me.

If your having e-mail and fax troubles Piglet, just keep at it!