Photeaus From Home

• 22 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Photeaus From Home
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:42:55 PM »
...my Mom and her husband Ken's newly-completed home, anyway.

I could go on and on about how totally amazing this place is, and the terrible, terrible conditions I must endure here, but I think I'll eschew the house pics for the places where I'm spending the most time when I'm not sleeping or eating.

And I'm doing plenty of each of those things. agagagagag

Here's their upper deck, overall and a detail...

And part of the view from the decks...the water here is maybe 8 meters away...
Ooops, no, less...but only because this was taken while the lake was way, way up...

The neighborhood...

The view out toward the main lake (we're on a small cove)

Mom and Ken's boats and dock...

Suddenly, the calm of the wind and waves was shattered, as the quiet waters exploded into life and the mighty call went up: MAAAARRRRR-LLIIINNNNNNN!
Well, more like a channel catfish, actually, and too small to mess with keeping. But still...

The wildlife out here is amazing. I've seen several species of deer, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, ospreys, herons (white and blue), hummingbirds, orioles, bluebirds, purple finches, enormous lake turtles, and much more.

Oh, and since many of you have never seen one, or haven't seen one in a while, THIS is a hamburger. bfbfbfbfbf
(Those aren't potato chips (or "potato crisps", for those who cling to various archaic regional dialects pppppppppp ). Those are thinly-sliced potatoes fried with onions and jalapeno peppers.)

Off to eat and sleep now. More if there are any...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:16:50 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
Re: Photeaus From Home
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 10:55:31 PM »
Not a real  hamburger! There's no egg, bacon, tomato, onion, lettuce or beetroot on it! ..and it hasn't got a lid! bibibibibi
Nice spot for a holiday, Laoban, even if the fish are miniscule!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

AMonk

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:06:33 PM »
Veerry Nice, Jefe!  agagagagag

And it looks like you're losing a leetle more weight, too. bfbfbfbfbf
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:09:43 PM »
Looks like your momma do be rich folk!  agagagagag agagagagag 

Lucky you having to force yourself to visit there  bfbfbfbfbf agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Schnerby

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 02:39:44 AM »
It's a tough life aint it?
 agagagagag

Sorry, that hamburger has no beetroot. How can you enjoy it without beetroot?

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 02:43:57 AM »
And you're coming back to China??

Ruth

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 02:48:15 AM »
What the heck is beetroot and why on earth would you want to put egg on a hamburger?  You Aussies just have it wrong.

Lovely home your mother has, Raoul.  Glad you are enjoying your vacation.

Is that a grill in the center of the table in the second photeau? 
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 03:43:20 AM »
Dumbstruck by burger ignorance. No words. Will try to reply tomorrow...

but,

Raoul, sad as it may be by Aussie standards, that's a damn fine lookin' burger after being 3 years in China.

Nice digs too!
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »
Beetroot? BEETROOT?!? And...eggs? What the hell is WRONG with you people? ararararar
But there is a lid. It's under the bottom bun at the moment, pending the application of cheese and sauce...

I'm not losing weight. Not at the moment. I'm eating everything in sight. And my sister and her husband are Hostess (ie Twinkies, Ding Dongs, etc.) freaks.
I'll lose weight again when I'm back in China.

Oh, Mom just handed me ice cream. Thanks, Mom. akakakakak

That thing isn't a grill. It's a fireplace for chilly evenings.

They aren't rich, but Ken was pretty successful. They pretty much plowed everything into this home.

Beetroots. Bejeezus... kkkkkkkkkk
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 04:28:14 PM »
You CANNOT have a decent hamburger without beetroot.  It drips down your arm, soaks into the bun, adds a tantalising tang to the taste. 

Add a fried egg, some bacon and cheese, fried onions, your hamburger patty, lettuce and tomato and top with tomato sauce (if you have to), BBQ sauce (better option) or for real aficionados - mango sauce!  Nothing better!

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »
No...beets on a burger is deranged. Offensive to the Higher Powers.
You realize that this is why the rains stopped, right? bibibibibi

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 06:00:17 PM »
To take something as pure and innocent as a hamburger and pervert it all to hell with beets and egg and such should considered terrorism. Bloody Australians! and if you bomb the crap out of them, that vegemite spore will eat up the nuclear power and destroy the world. At least they are as far away from civilisation as possible.

Schnerby

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
At least they are as far away from civilisation as possible.

To protect us from those who would try to take away the noble standing of our beetroot!  yyyyyyyyyy

The pics here look alot like parts of the Murray River before the drought.

Ruth

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 09:25:09 PM »
Stil, you got it right when you said at least they are as far away from civilization as possible. 

You Aussies can eat all the beetroot and eggs and mango sauce and whatever else you want to put in a bun.  Just don't call it a HAMBURGER.  Raoul has shown you what a hamburger looks like.  If you don't believe him, check out McD's, although the hamburger in Raoul's photeau is far superior to anything McD's can cook up.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 01:06:28 AM »
Mango sauce??? Beetroot??? Eggs??? I'm surprised you're not advocating replacing the meat with the Aussie equivalent, namely a huge spider beaten flat and grilled on both sides.
I'm sure there are international laws against doing nasty stuff to a poor, innocent burger.

Nice pics Jefe agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.