Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #975 on: January 01, 2009, 04:18:39 AM »
For some well done gung-ho action check out "The Unit"

Echoing what has already been said re: The Wire, Rome, Deadwood, Blackadder. I also didn't get into the UK version of the Office - but, surprisingly, the US version really dragged me in.

Another good UK drama - Life On Mars - about a 90's cop who gets taken back to the 70's. http://www.bbc.co.uk/lifeonmars/

And, if you can find them, the Hornblower and the Sharpe's Rifles series' are great entertainment.
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #976 on: January 01, 2009, 04:35:09 AM »
Dude, you just called my mother small minded.

Go fuck yourself. Is that forest clear enough for you?

Dude, lighten up. Enough with the personal attack. IS that clear enough for you?

I make a statement and you personally attack me. By the way, your mother was never mentioned once in the thread. You're over the line, hoss.

HBO productions are known for being mature. That means nudity, cursing and all of that mature, adult stuff. The world's not always Sherry Lewis and Lamb Chop.

Stil, you're normally a prankster, but man alive, you definitely need to lighten up about this. As Al Swearengin of Deadwood would say, "Don't be a cocksucker." Don't make me ask Wu the Chinaman and his heng dai to stroll on over. uuuuuuuuuu
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #977 on: January 01, 2009, 05:12:59 AM »
Now, now, gentlemen, be nice. If there is a problem, we solve it the traditional way: by getting drunk, wear a blindfold and throw darts at each other until Noles tells us to stop.

Deadwood is great. Rome is absolutely amazing. For those of you who liked that show, I might recommend looking for "I, Claudius". It's really good.

"Hot Fuzz" is a good movie too. I am still trying to find the latest Simon Pegg one "How to lose friends and alienate people".

As for British comedy, one never goes wrong with "Fawlty Towers".

I like "Hornblower" but I thought the Sharpe series suffered a lot from a low budget. Especially in the major battle scenes. "Sharpe's Waterloo" was not impressive at all. The battle of Waterloo derserved better than that, but that's just me being nerdy agagagagag

I think if people do not like to watch a show due to coarse language, it's their choice. There is nothing wrong with that. I don't listen to gangsta rap because, IMO, it's made by morons who should shut up, stop being silly and go back to school. Some might disagree but that's how I think of that particular genre. Same thing goes for teen comedies. Sexually frustrated teenagers and toilet humour is, to me, about as funny as being stabbed repeatedly in the face with an ice-pick.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #978 on: January 01, 2009, 08:28:35 AM »
Dude, you just called my mother small minded.

Go fuck yourself. Is that forest clear enough for you?

Dude, lighten up. Enough with the personal attack. IS that clear enough for you?

I make a statement and you personally attack me. By the way, your mother was never mentioned once in the thread. You're over the line, hoss.

HBO productions are known for being mature. That means nudity, cursing and all of that mature, adult stuff. The world's not always Sherry Lewis and Lamb Chop.

Stil, you're normally a prankster, but man alive, you definitely need to lighten up about this. As Al Swearengin of Deadwood would say, "Don't be a cocksucker." Don't make me ask Wu the Chinaman and his heng dai to stroll on over. uuuuuuuuuu

Stil sounds as if he would then DEFINITELY support those on the forum who abhor any swearing/blasphemy/scatology.  I'm not so sure this is true.

If you don't like it you don't need to stay more than 5 minutes into it. (My Lit professor said give any  book 25 pages - if you hated it after that then, don't read any further.  I have applied this to my whole life (except for my marriage! bibibibibi llllllllll))

We can respect those with different viewpoints from ourselves - mothers or not.  One of the the good things about adulthood is that somehow or another we hope to outgrow our parents.  This does not mean we don't respect them - but we DO place their views within a context.  Needs to happen here.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #979 on: January 01, 2009, 03:23:56 PM »
Stil sounds as if he would then DEFINITELY support those on the forum who abhor any swearing/blasphemy/scatology.  I'm not so sure this is true.

You obviously know nothing about me Lotus. What I like makes very little difference when it comes to supporting other peoples' choices.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #980 on: January 01, 2009, 07:23:20 PM »
 Lighten up kids...drinks on me. Seems to be nothing more than a misunderstanding that is best forgotten.

« Reply #981 on: January 02, 2009, 12:13:35 AM »
Totally agree Slim- the Top Gear episode was great.  The 3 hosts can be a bit irritating but they make me laugh and now I just want to jump on a motorcycle and hit the hills.  also Vietnam looks amazing.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.  W.C. Fields
Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it. Nietzsche

George

• My view of China
« Reply #982 on: January 02, 2009, 02:18:55 AM »
Just finished watching the first 60 minutes. Very good!!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #983 on: January 02, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »

You obviously know nothing about me Lotus. What I like makes very little difference when it comes to supporting other peoples' choices.

I'm not so sure this is true.

Reading the whole statement always makes sense.  agagagagag agagagagag

Although there are many things people do that I hate and therefore do not, will not, cannot support their choices, so I can't be as magnanimous as Stil.  I hate abuse of human beings, so I can't support the choice of those who abuse; I hate destruction and desecration of environment, valuable treasures etc, so I can't support the choices made by developers, industrial giants wanting to increase profits by not employing pollution controls etc.  Lots of choices I can't support - based on my own feelings. 

We can respect those with different viewpoints from ourselves.

And there are even exceptions to this statement of mine.

But for now - I'm still enjoying MI-5/Spooks, still and exceptionally good television series with good depth of character, interesting plots and not over acted (always a bonus!).

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 02:40:13 PM by Lotus Eater »

« Reply #984 on: January 02, 2009, 02:42:57 PM »
I also enjoyed Top Gear in Vietnam.  The preceeding one was good too, where they travelled from Miami to New Orleans.

Wish I'd known about the BBCi player when I was in China.  Or perhaps it's a relatively new thing?  ITV have one too, it's mostly rubbish but the real crime series is good, they covered the Canadian ESL Cafe paedophile a couple of months back.  It was the first I'd heard of it.  Also the Chinese cockle-pickers tragedy was on recently, that one should still be on the site.  I'll try and find a link.

Best film I've seen lately is Slumdog Millionaire.  Don't think it's out in the cinemas here yet but I'm sure there must be DVDs knocking about in China by now :)  It's already 5/4 favourite for Best Picture, and well-deserving imo.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #985 on: January 02, 2009, 07:34:40 PM »

Folks, this thread is for movies.... please play nice!  agagagagag

Arguing is better left for the pit where cursing/profanity has been discussed ad-nauseum. Let's not behave like 4 year olds!!!  kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk

have a happy new year
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #986 on: January 02, 2009, 10:34:48 PM »
What he said. asasasasas

Might add that if you don't work here, please leave the unsolicited jumping-into-the-middle-of-things to those of us who do. We all already have Moms.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #987 on: January 04, 2009, 05:18:01 AM »
Spaced was indeed ace.

I'd like to mention peep show here too, but also the very very underrated (i.e. 99% of british people haven't even heard of it) 15 Storeys high.

Conveniently, I uploaded the whole lot to youtube :-)

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=revengeofthedog&view=videos

It's a little dry and may seem a bit 'wtf?' to start with, but stick with it :)
It is too early to say.

synthette

« Reply #988 on: January 04, 2009, 05:05:18 PM »
Hi All,

not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but these movie and TV series sites are well worth checking out (I'm a huge 'Greys Anatomy' and 'Bones' fan). Check out "Sweeney Todd", "Boy A", and "Taking Lives"......as well as both "Hostel" movies, if you're into the gory stuff!

www.youku.com
www.movie2k.com
www.ch131.com

« Reply #989 on: January 04, 2009, 05:11:32 PM »
Sweeney Todd agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag That movie is so damn good.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.