Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #810 on: September 19, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
Stickmen and Scarfies - both NZ movies.  Both good in different ways.  Stickmen is about guys playing in a pool competition.  Scarfies about 5 uni students sharing a flat in Dunedin  and when they move in they discover a great marijuana plantation in the basement.

Then the 'owner' of the plants comes back...

I'll check these out.  Down under has come up with some crackers over the past few years (Lantana, In My Father's Den, Rabbit Proof Fence, and we mustn't forget Black Sheep ;))
It is too early to say.

« Reply #811 on: September 20, 2008, 01:55:25 AM »
The Fall

Escher meets Koyaanisquati meets cowlick bangs.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #812 on: September 20, 2008, 04:11:21 AM »
Black Sheep's from New Zealand, not Australia. Is New Zealand "down under?" I thought it applied exclusively to Australia.

OZ is a brilliant series.  It has some episodes that fall short of greatness, but the sum is greater than its parts.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:44:16 AM by Spaghetti »
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #813 on: September 20, 2008, 04:48:13 AM »
I would love to find Rabbit Proof Fence here.  And you forgot Priscilla Queen of the Desert!

I did find 10 Canoes here, which I figured was pretty amazing - and it was enjoyable (once I worked out that there was an English version as well at the Yolngu language!)  ahahahahah

I'd also like to get One Night The Moon - Paul Kelly and Ruby Hunter with music played by Uncle Kev Carmody - a FANTASTIC Murri guitar player.

Whale Rider is good to show students - lots of really good issues to discuss.  I think Once Were Warriors is too much for them - but a very powerful movie as well.

Lots of good stuff from Oz and NZ.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 05:08:13 AM by Lotus Eater »

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #814 on: September 20, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »
I went on the monthly DVD spree. I picked up:
Brothers From The Walled City/ Men From The Gutter (Shaw Bros. productions)
Superbad
Salo, The 120 Days of Sodom
The Office complete run (U. K. version.)
Keep Cool (Zhang Yimou)
Hellboy II
Son of Rambow (SIC)
Red Cliff
Golden Balls
Mon Amour
Crooklyn

"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #815 on: September 20, 2008, 07:50:59 PM »
Black Sheep's from New Zealand, not Australia. Is New Zealand "down under?" I thought it applied exclusively to Australia.

OZ is a brilliant series.  It has some episodes that fall short of greatness, but the sum is greater than its parts.

I meant it to apply to both countries.  In My Father's Den is also from NZ.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #816 on: September 21, 2008, 01:27:17 PM »
Watched the final episode of Dr.Who Season 4. Best episode ever. Must trek to Hangzhou to buy more DVD's. Lin'an is not exactly a haven for movie enthusiasts.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #817 on: September 21, 2008, 07:27:32 PM »
Watched the final episode of Dr.Who Season 4. Best episode ever. Must trek to Hangzhou to buy more DVD's. Lin'an is not exactly a haven for movie enthusiasts.

So, Eric, did you start with the 2005 relaunch and work your way to season 4?  I was impressed with what Russell T. Davies did for the franchise. He brought back a maturity and credibility that had been whittled away, ever so slowly, starting with the middle of Colin Baker's turn, then went full on during Sylvester McCoy's run as the Doctor, and only multiplied when they attempted to bring the Doctor back with Rupert Murdoch's help, under the Paul McGann one-shot turn.

I'm looking forward to what Stephen Moffat will do with the show once he takes over. He's written the most consistently rich stories during the Doctor Who revival.
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #818 on: September 21, 2008, 08:35:52 PM »
Yep, I did. I am thoroughly impressed with the show. We never got Dr. Who in Denmark, so I have never seen the original series, which is sort of irritating as some characters and events from appear/are referred to in the new series.
I'm just curious as to who will take over from David Tennant. He is, IMHO, brilliant as the Doctor.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #819 on: September 21, 2008, 09:36:37 PM »
I think Tennant is sticking around. He, along with Davies, are producing a quartet of feature-length Doctor Who specials to air over the British bank holidays in 2009. While Davies is officially leaving, there hasn't been word on Tennant leaving. There are rumors, and while it's possible the Doctor can regenerate during these specials, there hasn't been substantial evidence that Tennant won't stick around for the 2010 series, which will be a full 12 to 14 episode arc.

Haruki Murakami

« Reply #820 on: September 21, 2008, 10:48:29 PM »
I read a rumour that some chap from a movie called "History Boys" was scheduled to take over in 2009. Can't remember his name though.

« Reply #821 on: September 22, 2008, 01:43:08 AM »
Filling in all the Buffy episodes I missed back in the day.  What a marvellous show.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #822 on: September 22, 2008, 02:06:42 AM »
I read a rumour that some chap from a movie called "History Boys" was scheduled to take over in 2009. Can't remember his name though.

That would be a disaster. Skewering increasingly younger with the Doctor. It would go against what Moffat has planned for the series. I think the rumor about the History Boys star was most likely some tabloid using Russell Davies gushing about his latest crush as meaning "he's going to be the new doctor." Davies is leaving and the BBC have gone to great lengths to give Tennant time off to do theatrical work, so my money is on Tennant coming for MOffat.
Haruki Murakami

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #823 on: September 23, 2008, 07:23:29 AM »
 Had a chance to take in a few summer blockbusters over the past week. The Dark Knight and the new X-Files movie. By and large reviews praised DK and slammed the X-Files. I actually found the opposite to be true.

Dark Knight...eh. The acting was really good (not just Heath Ledger, although he was great...and no I don't want to compare him Nicholson...apples and oranges) but the story kind of sucked. Some good action sequences, but all very contrived. It was OK, but I wasn't overly impressed.

The X-Files...I strongly suspect this movie was poorly recieved because it wasn't what fans of the TV show were expecting and it was pretty inacessable to non fans. I loved the TV show and had no expectations whatsoever, so I actually enjoyed it a great deal. Nice to see a happy ending for the main characters, something the series finale did not provide.

« Reply #824 on: September 23, 2008, 07:32:52 AM »
I thought the Dark Knight was the action film of the decade.

Not only is it that, but it's also halfway to being intelligent, by the standards of Hollywood.

Truly unmissable.
It is too early to say.