Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #555 on: February 14, 2008, 03:41:53 PM »
Watched a mediocre thriller called Fracture which someone had recommended.

Now have downloaded a film called Gone Baby Gone which is Ben Affleck's directorial debut - but apparently we aren't to let that put us off, as allegedly his directing is considerably better than his acting! It's got rave reviews.
It is too early to say.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #556 on: February 14, 2008, 06:05:37 PM »
Saw Gone Baby Gone, interesting story line.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #557 on: February 14, 2008, 11:18:24 PM »
Saw Gone Baby Gone, interesting story line.

That only sounds like a mild thumbs up...
It is too early to say.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #558 on: February 15, 2008, 04:33:39 PM »
The plot twist was unexpected and it was more than watchable, maybe it was just the subject matter that disturbed me a little. 

« Reply #559 on: February 15, 2008, 05:53:45 PM »
Ah, see I like stuff which is a bit close to the bone.

I watched it last night, thought it was excellent.

It has been delayed release in the UK because of the similarities with Madeleine McCann.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #560 on: February 17, 2008, 04:43:50 PM »
Saw "Rendition" (2Hrs 20Mins) Synopsis was Strong torture themes and violence. I must admit to being hesitant about seeing this. It starred Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal. It was about unorthodox interrogation at a secret detention facility outside the U.S. I found the movie very interesting to the point that I didn't even notice that it was longer than usual movies.I thought it was a movie a guy would enjoy. Any guys seen it?

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #561 on: February 17, 2008, 05:55:09 PM »
Re:Rendition

There was an actual event in Canada a few years back and it continues to make news since the man who was tortured is suing the Canadian govt.  He was an engineer (landed Canadian citizen)  on his way back from a conference when he was picked up in the States.  They sent him to Syria where he was held and tortured for several months.  After much pressure from Canadians, our govt. got him back but it took a couple of years.  At first our govt. denied any knowledge but it turns out they 'suspected' him of something and knew the States were going to detain him.  He's been cleared of all charges.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #562 on: February 17, 2008, 06:00:31 PM »
The definitive "Elizabeth" work is Black Adder II. Working my way through it now.  bfbfbfbfbf Black Adder is easily the best of Rowan Atkinson's series.

And the most quotable.

You're in love with Jane Hathaway?
Yes, that's the girl.
Jane "Bury Me in a Y-Shaped Coffin" Hathaway?

To you, Baldric, the Renaissance was simply something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

God, I love nurses!  They're so disgustingly clinical.

Black Adder on Anglo-French relations...

"I thought the French were supposed to be our enemies. I mean, when we burned Joan of Arc were we just wasting our matches?"

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #563 on: February 18, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »
Black Adder is great.  I have the full set here. 

"Not that left Baldric, your other left".

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #564 on: February 18, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »
The Darjeeling Limited, a quirky little comedy about three brothers on a spiritual quest in India.  The American brothers are carrying a lot of extra baggage, loved it. 

« Reply #565 on: February 19, 2008, 11:26:27 PM »
I loved "Darjeeling Limited". Thought it was absolutely amazing.
Just purchased a new BBC series called "City of Vice" which revolves around Henry and Joseph Fielding, the chaps who organized the Bow Street Runners and tried to bring some law to 18th Cent England. Ian Macdiarmid plays Henry Fielding...there is something tremendously right about Emperor Palpatine giving a lengthy and persuasive argument for the need for public executions.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #566 on: February 21, 2008, 09:50:52 PM »
Sweeney Todd was terrific!  Depp and Carter were fabulous.  I bellowed with laughter at the "Have a Priest" number.

Also watched Charlie Wilson's War: great storytelling.  I always enjoy Tom Hanks and love Philip Hoffman.  Julia Roberts ACTING, not just being a Charismatic Movie Star, is a novelty; she's great in this, made herself less attractive. 

The best of the three was The Assassination of Jesse James By etc.  Every scene was so real!  You're weren't watching, you were THERE.  Then, 3/4 of the way through, it froze.  aoaoaoaoao llllllllll asasasasas bcbcbcbcbc
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #567 on: February 22, 2008, 03:55:57 AM »
Also watched Charlie Wilson's War: great storytelling.

I'm half way through the book now. Really good. bfbfbfbfbf

Wrong thread i know,  but seemed relevant
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #568 on: February 22, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »
Saw "Dan In Real Life"starring Steve Carrell, Juliette Binoche and Dane Cook. Briefly,a widower finds out that he fell in love with his brother's girlfriend.(chance meeting in a bookshop?)I got a few laughs anyway and the acting was good.Probably more for the ladies.
"Definitely Maybe" starring Ryan Reynalds, Rachel Weisz,Kevin Klein and Abigail Breslin. I enjoyed this because it wasn't too much of a "chick movie". The acting was good. The guy behind me laughed his head off and the couple a few seats up,had a passho (is that correct spelling?)session. aoaoaoaoao My 71 year old lady neighbour couldn't decide which show to watch. The story is about a guy explaining his past relationships to his 11yr old daughter. Again, any guys seen this one?

AMonk

« Reply #569 on: February 23, 2008, 12:11:09 AM »
This past week, Hubby and I watched all 3 of the Bourne films.  Not too bad IMHO.
Moderation....in most things...