Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2007, 02:32:55 AM »
Just finished watching an interesting Mongolian movie - produced by a Guangdong company.  But it was good - Tuya's Wedding.

« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2007, 03:15:39 AM »
Ignored the torrential rain yesterday by watching the Firefly show. Why oh why was that ever cancelled?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2007, 03:20:10 AM »
Ignored the torrential rain yesterday by watching the Firefly show. Why oh why was that ever cancelled?

Do you know what the American network did to it?

« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2007, 03:21:12 AM »
They swatted it?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2007, 03:26:13 AM »
They never aired the pilot. They started with ep. 3 then missed 7 and 8. The others were often out of order. They moved it around to different days and time-slots EVERY week. It never had a chance.

« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2007, 03:32:33 AM »
 asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas that is just stupid!!!  llllllllll llllllllll of all the...Hollywood produces on pile of stinking  bqbqbqbqbq tv shows constantly and the few ones that are actually good gets the axe.

moon over parma

« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2007, 04:17:52 AM »
I'm waiting for some video to finish encoding for work. After that,  I've got a DVD of the Sergio Martino police procedural SILENT ACTION waiting for me.

Vegemite

« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2007, 04:45:38 AM »
Daughter and I watched Fido last night - a real good laugh. Don't get put of by it being a 'zombie' movie...'tis very cute and a real parody.

« Reply #158 on: June 28, 2007, 05:04:32 AM »

Word.  Fantastic programme.  Good medecine for anyone fed up with how bad the star wars prequels were.  Close in spirit to the original star wars films.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2007, 06:00:48 AM »

I'm with you on this one. I thought it was a great show.... did you see the movie Serenity? I liked that as well.
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2007, 06:23:25 AM »
I did indeed. Several times. It was amazing. Now, riddle me this: how did they manage to cancel Firefly so quickly and let that godawful Hercules show starring Kevin Sorbo run on and on and on?

Vegemite

« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2007, 06:30:01 AM »
'Cos Hercules was filmed in NZ so they could do it cheaply.

Firefly sounds good...I'll try to watch a few episodes before I leave China.

« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2007, 06:33:28 AM »
Very cheaply. The special effect were worse than the ones in the old Star Trek series.

moon over parma

« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2007, 03:45:40 PM »
I did indeed. Several times. It was amazing. Now, riddle me this: how did they manage to cancel Firefly so quickly and let that godawful Hercules show starring Kevin Sorbo run on and on and on?

The big reasons:different times (as in eras), different companies, different producers and different network set ups.

HERC was syndicated. It was not part of one, lone network. It was cheaper to produce (as mentioned previously by Vegemite) and it wasn't up against prime time competition. It mostly aired on weekends and at times when it was the premium choice as oposed to infomercials, news shows and reruns. It also ran at times where kids (i. e. big advertising demographic) coudl watch it. Its ratings were not as important as much as its advertising power. If it could get top dollar for ads that reached a certain demographic it could go on forever (see: BAYWATCH). It also had more than a half-season to it. It started as a handful of telefilms, actually nad their popularit yprompted productio nof the series, fi I recall (I wasn't a fan and am going on memory form industry trades of the nineties).

Most TV shows in America require at lest 2 seasons before they can be sydnicated successfully (i. e. turn a profit) in the rerun market. HERC had that.

Most American shows with more than one season to them are also easily marketed to international broadcasters as part of a package deal.

HERCULES needed stations to carry it, and could easily air on any local station that ponied up for its rights. FIREFLY was doomed to FOX and its affiliates. So, if FOX hated it, it was gone. If a local station hated HERC, another one would option its rights and it coudl live on via another channel.

FIREFLY was atatched to one network (FOX, in America). It was an experiment and didn't have a full season commitment to begin with. Personally, I loathed the show, but I respect that people liked it (bad Chinese and all). Unfortunately for the show - FOX put it in a shitty timeslot and advertisers were not willing to pay top dollar for spots on an unproven product (had it made it to season 2 the dollars brought in from sponsors would have gone up in price and benefitted the show and the network). Then, FOX ran it out of order, didn't promote it well, and the reality was that most Americans who participate in the ratings records didn't care for it enough to watch it. It had a loyal, cult following, but the fans are a minority (especially when compared to HERCULES, which spawned XENA, its own short-lived animated series, and a YOUNG HERCULES spin off and another show - whose name escapes me, but it failed ).

Many of FIREFLY's biggest fans discovered via the itnernet and DVDs, after the fact it was cancelled.

FIREFLY had a big budget that also lent itself to cancellation. If you can't get top dollar for commercial spots and your show burns through money faster than Paris Hilton and a bottle of Tequila: extinction is certain.

Then its theatrical film, SERENITY bombed massively at the box office. The fans clearly didn't number large enough to keep it alive as a film franchise after its series cancellation.

HERCULES also predats the TIVo/DVR revolution. An increasing number of Americans are no longer following traditonal viewing habits and are recording their programs to watch at a later time, while enjoy another at the same time. Most DVRs can record two programs at a time, and if you watch one show, you can possibly record two otehrs at the same time. Television ratings didn't include DVR'd programs at the time of FIREFLY's existence, and I think a lot of FIREFLY FANS watched it via recording. VCRs wer enot exactly the same as DVR's since yo ucoudl only record one program at one time slot, and most people only used them to catch up with programs whiel away, as opposed to recording programs on other channels while they were watching another (some did, but I can't think of many people I know who would record one thing and watch another in the days of BETA and VHS).

HERCULES was also produced in an era when first-run, syndicated programs were raking in money (again, see BAYWATCH as an example). It lasted long enough to have an international following and several years of reruns. FIREFLY never made it long enough to have a second season, let alone enough epiosdes for a long syndicated life.

Had FIREFLY aired at a time when sci-fi happy preteens were able to watch it, and had good promotion and a solid time slot - it probably would have lasted a full season, if not longer.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 03:57:48 PM by moon over parma »

« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2007, 09:15:19 PM »
Well, MOP, that is all well and good, but I was more wondering how a crappy, stupid show like Hercules and Xena and Young Hercules could ever attract a fan base. In Hercules, all the other characters have their Greek names, Ares, Zeus etc, whereas Heracles has become the Roman Hercules. And suddenly Hercules uses martial arts!
Now, I know this was supposed to be silly entertainment pandering to the lowest common denominator which, I guess, would be people on crack.
Firefly had a good story, good acting, good writing and good special effects. Having watched enough tv shows to last a life time, I think it is fair to say that most of the shows aired are fairly predictable, same old story rehashed, crappy writing most of the times and wooden acting.
Question is: had the network aired the Firefly episodes in the right order, at the right time of day, would it still be running? or, as is my theory, are the majority of the television audience so used to not having to think about the shows they are watching that a sci-fi western with a somewhat convoluted storyline would simply be too much? Note that I am not being pompous nor belittling anyone who watches crappy show, since I am both a fan on MacGyver and the old Star Trek show, both of which could be argued to be a bit on the iffy side, but that it merely seems to me that the success of television shows seem to be increase as the quality decreases.