Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Damballah

• Living in a self-delusional world!
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1320 on: July 09, 2010, 04:07:32 AM »
Farewell (L'affaire Farewell) - based on the true story of a KGB operative who changed sides in the 80s. 

One of the parts I found interesting was Ronald Reagan telling his advisors and Mitterand that he would not permit the French Government to give ministerial posts to elected communist representatives. :)

Well acted, good cinematography.
"At your worst, at your best...who cares? They really aren't that much different anyway, and neither are particularly missed or wanted here anyway." - Marilyn Manson

« Reply #1321 on: July 09, 2010, 04:36:28 AM »
How to train your dragon:  Excellent movie. Vikings with weird accents,dragons, unlikely romance, top spiffy flick.

The A-Team: Stupid is a kind way of describing this movie.

The Wolfman: I liked the original..this remake...well, there are now three movies on my lists of flicks that really must have been made because all the people involved were on some very, very special drugs...The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Van Helsing and The Wolfman...

The Amazing Buck Howard: Interesting flick, worth watching, mostly for the superb performance by John Malkovich.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Invictus

• "文武双全"
    • My Band @ MySpace
« Reply #1322 on: July 09, 2010, 03:53:17 PM »
I enjoyed The Hurt Locker - the sniper sequence has to be one of the most thrilling scenes I've seen in a long time.

I liked it but it would've been better were it shot as a real movie. This whole spilling over of the reality show fad to films (i.e. District 9) is irksome. I'll be glad when it's run its course.

Unfortunately, The Hurt Locker comes nowhere near Bigelow's previous stellar efforts such as Strange Days and Point Break.
“就算杀了一个我,还有千千万万个我。“

« Reply #1323 on: July 09, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »
Unfortunately, The Hurt Locker comes nowhere near Bigelow's previous stellar efforts such as Strange Days and Point Break.

For me it is Near Dark (1987) that stands out as her greatest achievement, since then every other vampire film has paled in comparison.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1324 on: July 09, 2010, 06:20:23 PM »
I'm plotting to tie up 4 or 5 Chinese friends so they can't run away screaming and show them Event Horizon.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Damballah

• Living in a self-delusional world!
« Reply #1325 on: July 16, 2010, 02:02:27 AM »
Saw "The Hedgehog' today.  Lovely movie, well acted, from a fabulous book.
"At your worst, at your best...who cares? They really aren't that much different anyway, and neither are particularly missed or wanted here anyway." - Marilyn Manson

« Reply #1326 on: July 21, 2010, 01:52:04 AM »
Have been rewatching Breaking Bad.  I rushed through it the first time and felt an interest in looking over it a second time, so downloaded some hi def copies.  It's a very cool show.

Anyway, I don't know what started it but a few weeks back I decided to rewatch some classics.  I started with Phantasm, aka Never Dead, from 1979.  There were three sequels.  I watched them too.  I became compelled.  I was attempting to find out what was the message, what was the rationale?  A mythology develops when movies move into sequel land.

I moved on to Hellraiser.  This is even more piquant since Pinhead is such a chatty character, always explaining stuff, the mythology should be easy to follow.  There are eight Hellraiser movies.  The first two are very good for the genre.  The rest, not so much.

Next, some old favs, Satisfaction from 1988 and featuring a hot, young Justine Bateman, and then Shopping, a tad more contemporary, squeaking into the world in 1994 and featuring Jude Law and Sadie Frost and a very dated soundtrack.  That's what's good about Satisfaction, the soundtrack survives the years.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1327 on: August 13, 2010, 08:58:15 PM »
Just watched "The Expendables" and I recommend it. Just don't bring a date...a guy in the cinema did and the girl was to my left...she kept making silly comments like "who is he?" (apparently the young lady did not recognize Stallone) and "Oh my, that must really hurt"....yes, when Dolph Lundgren kicks you in the head it probably hurts...but watch the movie... agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1328 on: August 13, 2010, 11:02:37 PM »
Inception has been chosen as one of the foreign films to play in cinemas in China.

Leo is quite popular here. I guess it's from playing Jack in Titanic.

Perhaps there's another reason.

« Reply #1329 on: August 14, 2010, 08:39:36 AM »
 bkbkbkbkbk axaxaxaxax bkbkbkbkbk
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #1330 on: August 21, 2010, 12:16:12 AM »
 ahahahahah
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1331 on: August 21, 2010, 03:53:37 PM »
Did anyone catch Aftershock?  They were kind enough to include dual subtitles at the theatre I saw it at.
EscapedLunatic.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1332 on: August 21, 2010, 06:01:04 PM »
Yeah I saw it. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

More predictable than a Hollywood blockbuster. My date was actually angry about wasting the price of the tickets on it.

I saw Salt last night. Same sort of huge plot-holed mindless action flick you would expect in a summer film except much, much better. It was a fun movie. Keeps you guessing a little and some serious action sequences that are not CGI dominated. Jolie is total bad-ass. She does some ridiculous super-hero type things without seeming to be invincible. Kind of like Bruce Willis in Die Hard. It doesn't drag, only about 90 minutes long.

Apparently the role was written for a guy. Tom Cruise turned it down because he felt the  Salt character was too much like Ethan Hunt from Mission Impossible. So they changed the name to Evelyn Salt and not much else.

There's a good copy floating around on kickasstorrents.com

fox

« Reply #1333 on: August 22, 2010, 12:21:33 AM »
saw the hedgehog on learning of it here.  loved that movie. quite liked 'Salt'  always nice to see Angelina Jolie
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1334 on: August 22, 2010, 04:40:31 PM »
Just saw The Expendables last night.  No need to waste time or money on plot and dialogue.  Just enjoy the massive violence.  Just seeing Schwarzenegger and Stallone sharing a scene (sadly, non-violent) was a bit of a treat.  Also, nice to see that Arnold is thinking about getting back into showbiz once he's done playing with California.

As for Aftershock, yeah it was cheesy and predictable, but it did look like they put some real effort into it.  Sort of a Chinese attempt at a James Cameron style film.
EscapedLunatic.com