doing laundry

• 11 replies

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
doing laundry
« on: August 11, 2007, 04:14:44 PM »
Stuck with a standard wachine machine that gives only adequate results. Unless I want to haul buckets of water I wash in cold and have been using Tide.  Has anyone discovered any superior local brands?  Any general laundry tips you've stumbled upon or had an ayi show you to improve laundry would be appreciated.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

George

• My view of China
Re: doing laundry
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 07:04:26 PM »
Stuck with a standard wachine machine that gives only adequate results. I wash in cold and have been using Tide.
Me too. No complaints!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 08:33:08 PM »
I always add bleach for colored clothes - sort of local Vanish. You can buy it just about anywhere in China. It is a pink bottle and it has a cat face on it. Very popular brand. I usually add 2 caps of that into the washing along with soap and a half a cap of softener (yes, together with soap). Then add softener at the last rinsing.

My ayis that I used to have always had to be taught how to wash. I had a couple of them mixing black and white as well as one of them washed my pure woolen sweater in that standard machine and it shrunk to the baby size  bibibibibi

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 09:39:10 PM »
I've used bleach on whites, a stronger concentration...the other stuff doesn't discolour your clothes?

AMonk

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 10:28:47 PM »
I don't know about Chinese bleach, but I would NEVER put Western bleach into a wash that wasn't all whites. aoaoaoaoao
Moderation....in most things...

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 10:50:17 PM »
me neither, that's why I asked, perhaps it's a very diluted solution, dunno I've never tried it.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 02:40:51 AM »
Even in North America we have bleach for the unbleachables.  It is another chemical I believe and works to brighten not whiten the clothes.  I believe the one Cheeky was talking about in the pink bottle is the one made for colored clothes.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 05:09:34 AM »
I said it was like VANISH - for colored clothes  ahahahahah It keeps colors bright and helps with cleaning spots.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 04:59:58 PM »
Thanks Missi - very good advice.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 02:36:53 PM »
thank you oh laundry mistress, I'm going to try the White Cat dish soap, already washing on gentle and keeping loads small, doesn't doesn't come clean otherwise.  Haven't used an outdoor clothesline since coming to China, I do miss that outdoor fresh dried scent.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 05:18:02 PM »
My ayi does my laundry.  bfbfbfbfbf

George

• My view of China
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 05:21:31 PM »
Mine too!! agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/