What's using my data connection?

• 4 replies
What's using my data connection?
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:51:13 PM »
so normally I know what's on my phone, and when I don't I get paranoid. I happened to look in Data Usage (which in Android Lollipop is accessed via: Menu > Settings > Data Usage) and discovered a bunch of apps I know using data as I expect them to, but there's also a thing called:

Now, all the other apps have their app names, but this process is called just "10067" and since it's using the data connection in the background quite a lot (to the tune of 7.33MB on wifi, and 0 in the foreground), I want to know what the hell it is. It does not show up in app lists (Menu > Settings > Apps > All), it doesn't appear in the Titanium Backup list of all installed apps, and BetterBatteryStats presently shows nothing with that Uid running (though there are a lot of similar Uid process numbers, like 100xx etc, for legitimate, named processes)

I *think* it's related to WeChat. But it could be anything. For that matter, I updated the entire OS just yesterday (using a flashable zip from a normally trustworthy dev), and I'm not actually in the habit of looking in Data Usage so maybe it's been there for a long time, maybe a short time.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS?!?!?!?

Meanwhile, WeChat is frozen for the time being. I will see if 10067 continues active or not. All tips welcomed.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: What's using my data connection?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 10:19:28 PM »
If I may indulge in some paranoid thinking for a moment...

Recalling just now that I did have a new SIM card, ostensibly 4G capable, foist on me by China Mobile a few weeks ago... does anyone with a China Mobile 4G SIM card see some numbered but not named "app" in their Data Usage statistics doing background but not foreground data transfers?

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:17:20 AM »
So, Android offers coarse-grained data usage records, and I discovered just now I can look back at past periods. The period for May 5 - Jun 2 says 10067 used 2.72MB of wifi data in the background. So, it's not WeChat, because I didn't have it back then, and it's not the result of any recent update, because that's three months ago. And therefore also not a result of the 4G SIM replacement.

What I want to know is, is it uploads or downloads? Because if it's uploads, I am freaking right out.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:57:29 AM »
Well, concerned phone users, since discovering this unknown data user, its data use has steadily declined. That's to say, every time I look at the data use recorded by the Android Lollipop system, the number for 10067 is smaller than before. Unfortunately, Lollipop only offers coarse-grained measurements - a per-app cumulative total for the past 28 days, and the decrease in size is not conclusively a halt in data usage. It may just be using less today than it used 28 days ago to the second. I speculate however that this process is related to the nebulous entity "Android OS" and that since upgrading from Android 5.1.1 LMY48B to Android 5.1.1 LMY48I, this 10067 thing has stopped and/or is now being recorded under "Android OS" as perhaps it should be.

I'm glad you asked.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 04:12:43 PM »
Hi Calach,

I'm a tech newb compared to you but I came across this problem on androidcentral's forums. The "numbered" apps using data isn't too big of a deal; they occur on all android phones at some point. I don't have the link with me but if you search that number on AC's forums you will find answers.

Hope that helps.