• 495 replies
Re: Smartphones
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2012, 03:43:13 AM »
get em all!
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2012, 11:42:51 PM »
for some reason i've been unable to root my Play... The only games I play are emulated playstation, snes, and GBA so I dunno about how to install cracked games, but I could tell you a shedload about emulation.

Monkey King

« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »
Tell me about emulation!  Mine came from Hong Kong via Taobao with loads of crap on it already, mostly cracked games.  One of the apps actually seems to be a Neo-Geo pocket emulator.

When I got connected to Wifi the cracked games connected and installed in seconds - must just be some ticky boxy thing they have to to do.

« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2012, 11:00:49 PM »
Well i have 3 emulators, psx (fpse) snes (snezoid) and gba (gboid)  The psx games I'm playing are final fantasy 9, tekken 3, crash bandicoot 2, worms and resident evil 3.  The snes and gba seem to be totally flawless too. Also very little in the way of setting up.

For all my resources including games i go to www.emuparadise.me,

It's strange, mine has a market app installed that lets me download games for free that cost money on the other markets, i downloaded the android version of worms (which is bitchin' by the way) Honestly, 1 month in and i still adore this phone, the only real negatives are that it collects fingerprrints like crazy (i have the black one) and that the analog pads are shit (i dont use them for anything so it dont matter)

I'll see if i can show some game screenshots to give you an idea of the emulation quality

(fyi those emulators are good for any multitouch android phone, but you have to have on screen buttons which sucks)

« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2012, 12:42:46 AM »
^ Can you do this emulation thing on touch screen phones?  mmmmmmmmmm

Also, you think Worms is good? I find it pretty annoying as you can't scroll across the screen to see the bigger picture, unless you use a weapon that has a cross hair.

Monkey King

« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2012, 02:00:59 AM »
THX for the emulator info and links, I'll look into it.  There is a bunch of weird stuff on my memory card that I think I wont need (32G and they filled it with games and apps) but I have to trawl through it properly.

Also, if I loved FFVII but hated VIII, will I ilke IX? (or any of the others?)

« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2012, 03:00:24 AM »
Regarding worms, I think the touchscreen controls are beyond annoying, which is why I downloaded the psx version, but i think that if the worms were tweaked so to speak, then it would be great fun, especially if they added network play.

Regarding ff games, i've played them all from 3-13 and loved them all.  8 is my favourite actually but I understand the hate towards it from most people.  You if you liked 7, you'll likely like 9... also 1-6 are nes/snes games and as such are tiny files (like 1-3mb) so I think they're well worth getting. Incidentally, the gba versions of 4-6 are regarded as the best, and are worth getting if you want to play them mobile, rather than a big screen where the snes version is your best bet. Avoid the psx version as it has by far the longest load times even when emulated. funnily enough I couldn't sleep last night and I ranked the ff games from best to worst in my head (yes I am that sad) it goes 8>7>10>9>5>12>4>13>6.

These emulators do work without buttons (on screen buttons), but your phone must support multi touch (being able to sense multiple touches at the same time) and to be honest, I think that they are not playable in that way. (the gba maybe as it has a total of 8 buttons including the d-pad whereas the snes and psx have 12 and 14 respectively)

I only have a 16gb card on in my phone and psx games can be anything between 100-700 mb (ff games have multiple discs so ff9 actually edges on 2.1gb all together)also worth taking into consideration

« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »
Iphone, let me count the ways in which you piss me off...first, you are abhorribly expensive but that is not your fault, I guess. Second, you come with a slot for a SIM card that is too small for a normal one...there are more reasons, but the latter one is the primary one. Went to store yesterday and bought an iPhone for the gf as a surprise...she thought I would not buy until next month. Then, when I came home, after showing her how much I had missed her in Denmark  bhbhbhbhbh bhbhbhbhbh bhbhbhbhbh bhbhbhbhbh bhbhbhbhbh I then presented her with the iPhone and there was great joy and jubilation and merriment...until SIM card time...why the expletive expletive expletive expletive has Apple, a company a bunch of run by insert reference to their maternal progenitors having repeated intercouse of a sexual nature with various pox-ridden members of the animal kingdom, decided to make the SIM card smaller? Apparently, all one has to do is go to the store and have them surgically alter the SIM card but, by the tail of Ratatosk, it is soooooo goddamn stupid. I would hate Apple...but their products are so nice and shiny and...and...desirable...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Monkey King

« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »
I shun Apple products in a kind of reverse snobbery.  I also can't stand it when people refer to all MP3/4 players as 'I-Pods' or assume that everyone downloads all their stuff through 'I-Tunes'. Grrr

Quote from: jameswinterton
emulators
This is crazy good, I now have over one thousand (!) NES + SNES games on my phone and it's hardly made a dent in my memory card.  Got the GBA and PSX emulators too. 

I don't know where to start and I have hardly begun with the other apps particularly the Chinese language learning stuff which was my original purpose in upgrading....this phone could seriously dent my productivity!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:12:20 PM by MK »

« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2012, 01:20:56 AM »
So I'm thinking the HTC One S looks good. However, it, and the other Ones, use only microSIMs. Googling around a bit it seems China Mobile sells such things these days. But not everywhere?

Any microSIM experiences out there?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2012, 01:31:17 AM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:40:42 AM by Isidnar »

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2012, 01:47:19 AM »
The micro sim is the same as regular sim cut down. Any of the mobile carriers will cut down the sim card for you. Most of the phone accessories places sell card punches. They look like a hole punch for paper but cut a regular sim down to a micro sim. I do it with scissors. Its not difficult  I'm one of those people you think are idiots for using iPhones. Apple has been using micro sims for a couple of years.

I don't doubt most people would be willing to carry out your request Isidnar. I do like the irony of a philosophy major complaining about nerds and ridiculous dialects.

old34

« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2012, 01:50:16 AM »
This is, after all, the Tech Talk forum.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2012, 01:58:09 AM »
I don't think you're an idiot for using an iphone, Stil....

You're a member of a cult. I can respect that.

« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2012, 02:06:15 AM »
My own mother uses an iphone. My sister introduced her to it. I wasn't there when it happened.