"Blacklist" of Nigerians in China?

• 37 replies

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
Re: "Blacklist" of Nigerians in China?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 12:55:14 AM »
@ A-Train: There are times when believing lies and retelling them is the easiest way to get through the day. Maybe the woman had the same curiosity as you and she was told the lie, she sensed it was such, but she also knows there's no point in questioning further. Perhaps her explanation to you was part of her rationalization to herself so she could just put it out of her mind and move along with things in her control.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 06:34:33 PM »
I've heard a few Chinese people make specifically anti-Nigerian statements.  I personally doubt that there could be an official "no visas for Nigerians" edict from the national or provincial level, but I could easily envision someone at a lower level claiming there was one to justify their own personal prejudiced decisions.

Oddly enough, all the Nigerians I've met in person have been great people (including my cardiologist in the USA).  For some reason, most of the Nigerians I meet online want me to help them move millions of dollars out of the country. mmmmmmmmmm
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »
I dated an increadibly beautiful Nigerian woman from London.  akakakakak akakakakak akakakakak

We never discussed banking
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
The Africans I've met in Guangzhou are really cool and friendly. I like them (more than some other regionals I've encountered).

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 12:08:40 AM »
 offtopic Let's see if we can at least keep the Bar Room on topic, eh? The topic of this thread is employment policy of residents from Nigeria in China, not reminiscing about previous paramours.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 12:18:35 AM »
Dammit!  Just when I was going to ask DD for all the details. asasasasas

In any event, I am curious if anyone has any more data of any other institution, at any level, doing any sort of blacklisting based solely on nationality.
EscapedLunatic.com

Monkey King

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 08:07:14 PM »
I heard that Jiangsu will only allow unis to hire their English teachers from a specific list (the 'big 7' plus a few other mainly Commonwealth countries), which effectively 'blacklists' all other countries not on the 'allowed' list.

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 09:35:45 PM »
The last time I was in China (Nanjing) I was friendly with some black guys from Cameroon, they were PhD students at a local university, but they also needed an income and were looking for teaching work. They just couldn't find any teaching, where as for us 'Europeans' there was, as always, a glut of schools looking for teachers.  It is basically in my view embedded institutional racism rather than any government blacklist. Even the schools that looked the other way for people with tourist visas and no work permits wouldn't take them.
Dr. Rob Burton

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »
I heard that Jiangsu will only allow unis to hire their English teachers from a specific list (the 'big 7' plus a few other mainly Commonwealth countries), which effectively 'blacklists' all other countries not on the 'allowed' list.

I've heard this too, most likely from the same sources as you MK. What I've heard is basically that non-native speakers can't get visas as English teachers in Jiangsu. This is all that has stopped even more teachers in my place from jumping ship to yours, MK! (Highly qualified Bulgarians/Poles/Zimbabweans/Turks etc etc) 
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 11:24:07 PM »
Another point is that many of these guys are multilingual  unlike me being a monolingual Brit. They might have their own language, other local dialects, maybe french due to past colonialism, good university standard english and so on.
Dr. Rob Burton

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 01:34:59 AM »
Another point is that many of these guys are multilingual  unlike me being a monolingual Brit. They might have their own language, other local dialects, maybe french due to past colonialism, good university standard english and so on.

So on indeed - it's been a long time since I have sat in a language classroom and the experience of being a language learner is valuable in itself.  The "native speaker" obsession in China is a big problem, compounded by a weak heritage of study in Linguistics (with a capital "L").  Hell, even popular foreign language study inside China is less than 150 years old - back in the Qing dynasty it was all "compadores".

A-Train

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 01:18:12 AM »
An update on this one... I learned today that there was a protest staged by a group of Nigerians in Guangzhou against the required police registration in China.  After that incident, I'm told that universities were "asked" to NOT hire any Nigerians.  I'm sure there's more to the story as all foreigners are required to register, but that's what I heard today from someone pretty high up and should know.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Monkey King

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 02:26:30 AM »
...there was a protest staged by a group of Nigerians in Guangzhou against the required police registration in China

Are you or your source referring to this incident?  Because if so it was a bit more complicated than complaining about 'police registration'.

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 03:18:59 PM »
Is that current? I thought I read the article was dated July 2009
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »
Wow.  How stupid would someone have to be to overstay a visa, get into an illegal business, and then leap out a window when the police show up, resulting in severe injuries (and maybe death, depending on who you believe)?

If he really died and didn't have any children, he'd make a good Darwin Award nominee. ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com