Tv

• 460 replies
Re: Tv
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 06:52:08 PM »
For a surprisingly funny comedy that's about teaching let me heartily recommend "Seven Periods with Mr. Gormsby." It's a New Zealand show about six years old, I think, so it's not that easy to find. But there are so many "I can't believe they just made a joke about ________!" moments.

Other comedies that aren't banal. That's hard. Ummm...
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Californication
Weeds
Shameless US (I haven't watched Shameless UK yet, but it's the original with 8 seasons.)
another vote for The Trailer Park Boys.
Suburban Shootout (a little quirky I must say)

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 07:06:38 PM »
If you like Big Bang Theory, download Dharma & Greg…it's much better, IMHO.

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 07:35:31 PM »
I can't believe no one mentioned these gems:

Leverage - About con artists that help the little guy against big business.

Hustle - This is also about con artists that go after the rich and the wealthy. Plus it stars
         Robert Vaughn from the Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Opps, I am dating myself).

I also agree with what's already been mentioned, Of Course!

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 07:37:59 PM »
Also, try The Defenders about two trial lawyers in Las Vegas and Harry's Law about another lawyer in Boston. Harry's Law is made by the same guy who did Boston Legal.

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
I've run out of things to watch, I'm reduced to Bones and House.  They should hurry up and start making more Breaking Bad, Weeds and Walking Dead

Luther however was a briefly shining gem.  Only six episodes but by the last episode the show had become quite something... else.  Same with Sherlock.  Excellent stuff.  Both of them waft off into the crazy in a most compelling manner.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 08:05:01 PM »
Oh yeah I forgot about It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I haven't watched in a long time, but thats a must see if you haven't yet. Hilarious. That show Leverage, mentioned above, sounds pretty cool I'll probably check that out.

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 10:09:41 PM »
Just finished watching the first season of Forbrydelsen (aka The Killing), a Danish Crime series. No, really come back!

The BBC have been showing it, and English subtitles are easily available, although those available for the second series have a few deficiencies. They've made an American version, called 'The Killing' which will start in the next week or two if you really can't handle subtitles.

It's become a real cult hit in the UK, or lots of other countries.

The first series is 20 episodes long, so 19 hours investigating a crime. There are plenty of unbelievable twists and the odd thing that doesn't make sense, and it's a long, long journey, but it is worth it. I'm not the only person who thinks that it's the best TV show for absolutely ages.

If you like your crimes wrapped up in 44 minutes, this probably isn't your cup of tea. The American version will be 13 episodes long, so basically half the real length, and I don't know how much they've changed it. They claim that they may have changed 'whodunnit', but that might just be to stave off spoilers.

Seriously! Watch this show (preferably the original).

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 02:48:01 PM »
Ah post wiped by server problems this weekend.
Let me recommend a New Zealand Show about teaching, "Seven Periods with Mr. Gormsby." Funny stuff.
Also:
another vote for The Trailer Park Boys
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Bored to Death
Shameless US (In first season, but Shameless UK is in its 8th season.)
with caveats:
Weeds
Californication
The Big C
a quirky UK comedy, but at least it's not the same ole; Suburban Shootout
and... I think it qualifies as comedy: True Blood (Oh, Sookie!)

Monkey King

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 05:30:53 PM »
Friends are raving about 'Sons of Anarchy' (about a biker gang) it hasn't sucked me in yet though.

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »
Not sure if my recommendation was wiped out.

Imagine Criminal Minds, but 19 hours long and the best TV programme for years, great script, fantastic nuanced acting and moments that will keep you breathlessly awake marvelling that God, after all that ridiculous nonsense about The Bible and Koran, has finally decided to exercise his creative muscles.

(in Danish)

Ladies and Gentlemen - Forbrydelsen

Or, if you trust US remakes - 'The Killing, starting this weekend on the same channel as 'Breaking Bad' 'Mad Men' etc.

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »
Oh dear Lord, not Forbrydelsen...I am Danish and have watched it...Unless it is a US remake, stay clear of the show...crime shows set in Denmark are notoriously lame, unless you really like drab colours, mumbling and heavy-handed social realism....Forbrydelsen is like "Midsumer Murders" only not as funny or weird.  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »
How about the British show Coupling? It is no longer being aired but did have three seasons. They tried to do this in the US but it never took. I think it is because the British version was raunchier with more innuendos.

This show is about several couples and their relationships. Think of it as friends on steroids. It is definitely one of the funnier shows out there.

bhbhbhbhbh

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 11:35:27 PM »
How about the British show Coupling? It is no longer being aired but did have three seasons. They tried to do this in the US but it never took. I think it is because the British version was raunchier with more innuendos.

This show is about several couples and their relationships. Think of it as friends on steroids. It is definitely one of the funnier shows out there.

Actually there was a fouth season, but it (the fouth season) wasn't very good. I watched the US pilot, and I thought the problem was the acting, not the script. The UK series was somewhat predicated on the fact that the way that we see the universe, and by extension ourselves, is skewed, and the UK version had the benfit of likeable characters that you could laugh with, even as you were laughing at them.

Stephen Moffat who wrote it, produces and occasionally writes Doctor Who now. He wrote the US version as well. He must have felt like Gielgud who was discovered crying one night after a performance.

'Johnnie, why are you crying? You were wonderful.'

'I know I weas wonderful dammit. I just don't know how.'

If you like Coupling type sitcoms, may I suggest that you try 'Traffic Light.' It's not racy, but it is a bit cleverer than HIMYM (which I love btw). Coupling was one of a kind though, because it had elements of farce, and for that you need to watch 'Modern Family'.

jpd01

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 11:38:11 PM »
Yeah the forth season didn't have jeff in it anymore and it kind of lost its momentum
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

jpd01

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 11:28:01 PM »
So I just started watching a couple of new shows traffic light is great (can't remember which one of you recommended it to me but thanks)
Misfits, loving this one right now. I just watched season one and am now downloading season two. It's a show about some teenagers on community service when they get hit by lightning and develop powers. It's pretty cool, for example one of the girls power is that whenever she touches a guy he becomes powerfully horny and has to phuck immediately.
Season 5 of skins seems a bit light and nor really to my liking.
But I have to say I picked the US remake of skins and..... wow it is terrible bqbqbqbqbq bqbqbqbqbq bqbqbqbqbq, truly one of the worst things I have watched in a long time. The casting is terrible and bland and the pace is slow and all the interesting things in the first season of the British version have been edited out.
Matthew Perry has a new show called Mr Sunshine and it seems decent but I'm not yet sold on it as yet but it's pretty decent. I was pissed when his last show studio 60 on the sunset strip was cancelled as I really liked it but it seemed it was hyped up way to much and by the time it came out people's expectations were way to high.
If you haven't checked out being human yet then it's worth a watch, it's a British show about a vampire, a were wolf and a ghost living together and trying to be "normal" season 1 was pretty good and I've watched half of season 2.
Also just watched the latest season of the peep show, pretty good. I enjoy this show and I'm glad that they never try to sort out the two main characters life.
I think that's about all for now, I'm downloading some other stuff right now and I'll let you know if it pans out.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.