Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #525 on: February 07, 2008, 04:03:42 AM »
There's a new duster out, the Assassination of Jesse James with Brad Pitt, I've downloaded it but not viewed it yet.

I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #526 on: February 07, 2008, 05:12:18 AM »
I found it greatly disappointing. Lots of scenic panorama, Brad Pitt lumbering around looking constipated, it's the only western I have ever dozed off to.  Quite, horribly boring. Never did care much for that trumped-up , pseudo-Robin Hood either.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Acjade

« Reply #527 on: February 07, 2008, 10:59:57 PM »
Not a Brad fan usually but I adored him in ... and the title now escapes me. bibibibibi His Irish accent was atrocious but his sentics were superb. Anyway tonight I going to re-watch Alexander the Great which co-stars Brad's side kick as Alexander's mother. But Oh Zeus didn't they explain to the woman we all associate Cleopatra with snakes and her with well....Brad Pit.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #528 on: February 07, 2008, 11:58:14 PM »
Legends of the Fall remains one of my fave movies, so many handsome men!  Not a Pitt fan either and was very disappointed in Alexander the Great.

Just watched The Golden Compass, a perfect way to spend a lazy afternoon.

Acjade

« Reply #529 on: February 08, 2008, 12:14:59 AM »
Oh, The Golden Compass. So want to see that.

« Reply #530 on: February 08, 2008, 01:46:48 AM »
In defence of Mr. Pitt...he is brilliant when acting a nutter...12 Monkeys and Snatch are two of my favourite movies, both thanks to Brad's performances.

I just finished watching 'Cloverfield'...it was ok, not nearly as good as the advertising campaign back home at Christmas time promised, but entertaining all the same.

There is a site called www.watchtvsitcoms.com where you can stream most movies that are out and about...I usually watch a part of a movie/tv show there and then buy or d/l it if I liked it. However, the guy who manages the site has just changed the movie hosting to Google, which we can't get here in China...very disappointing as this guy would make the keenest Chinese pirate blush with the amount of new movies he has online. Still good for tv shows.

« Reply #531 on: February 08, 2008, 01:46:55 AM »
It's good, but only if you have read the books.
It's been said before, by me, and I will say it again. Watch Sweeney Todd. No one hates musicals more than me and I loved this. It was unlike so many musicals, I would say 95 % of it was song. The thing I always hated about musicals is that I always find the song sequences annoying, like they might as well have added some more dialogue. In this case it worked.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #532 on: February 08, 2008, 09:19:02 AM »
How? Gene Kelly prancing about like he just took an overdose of happy pills, singing about singing in the rain? In the rain!!!!! Why would anyone sing in the rain. It's got something to do with love, doesn't it? Now, if he was shuffling around in muddy puddles, humming somtehing like "I'm bleeding in the rain, because Cupid kicked me in my teeth and I gave my heart to the pawnshop guy because I needed beer and I didn't think I'd need the thing anymore"...then I might give it a go.
Don't even get me started on Cats or Starlight Express or West Side Story...or Grease...not Grease...If I hear the soundtrack to that movie ever again, I'll stab myself in the face with a sword made out of sauerkraut.

« Reply #533 on: February 08, 2008, 02:29:46 PM »
Oh, be nice, eric!!! Those are masterpieces of earlier ages!!! Naive and silly but so nice.

Anyway, I want to see THE JUMPER. I am serious, folks, looks like Sci Fi and scary movies are the only decent ones recently. Well, that and I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK AND LARRY.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #534 on: February 08, 2008, 02:59:58 PM »
Elizabeth, the Golden Age was interesting but that's likely due to the fact that it's the only Elizabeth movie I've seen. 

« Reply #535 on: February 08, 2008, 09:49:02 PM »
Elizabeth, the Golden Age was interesting but that's likely due to the fact that it's the only Elizabeth movie I've seen. 

I strongly recommend you track down the other Elizabeth movie. It was made some years ago and was quite good. If you come across the series Elizabeth with Jeremy Irons in it, watch that. It'll remind you, as it did me, that Jeremy Irons can be a fantastic actor.

« Reply #536 on: February 08, 2008, 09:55:29 PM »
Just back from seeing "Fools Gold" Stars Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey.It took six months to shoot and was filmed on location in Northern Queensland,so some pretty scenery. The Film didn't do much for me, but as usual I found things to laugh at. Speaking of which, Eric,you do realise that I will now have to change the things I laugh at when I'm watching a Western?? If they actually hit anyone they shoot at now, I'll have to laugh!! But I digress. Saw a lot of Mr McConaughay's chest(for any of the ladies interested in that) There was also a young woman who managed to distract (with her body) some guys on a boat. I was disappointed, given that Donald Southerland was also playing a role in it. Only my opinion though;my female neighbour liked it, but I reckon she would watch two flies crawling up a wall and enjoy that!!!

Acjade

« Reply #537 on: February 08, 2008, 10:31:24 PM »
Matthew McConaughey is good to look at but I find his Southern drawl a little difficult to understand.

« Reply #538 on: February 08, 2008, 11:20:01 PM »
So does anyone know a way to beat google video's 'not available in China' feature?

And why has google collaborated with china in making the feature unavailable?  It's most unedifying.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #539 on: February 09, 2008, 04:13:14 AM »

I found this in response to being able to watch Google video in China...

http://www.isaacmao.com/meta/2006/07/how-to-view-google-video-locally-in.html

Not sure if it is at all helpful, I am yet to give it a go.