Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1335 on: August 22, 2010, 06:41:37 PM »
I just sat through Leap Year followed by P.S I love You. Two romantic comedy/dramas set to the stunning backdrop of Ireland. It is probably the number one country that I want to visit, and I find it astounding that I have yet to do so given its proximity to me compared to say China.

Anyhow, both beautiful films in their own ways, and it is a shame that directors/writers feel the need to make their American characters act so ignorant to other culture. Besides that, if you're not looking for anything with depth, but would like to enjoy some seriously stunning scenery, both films get the James Winterton seal of recommendation.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1336 on: August 23, 2010, 04:00:53 AM »

Anyhow, both beautiful films in their own ways, and it is a shame that directors/writers feel the need to make their American characters act so ignorant to other culture.

If they didn't do that then the characters wouldn't be realistic.

A-Train

« Reply #1337 on: August 25, 2010, 06:24:07 AM »
"Girl With The Dragon Tatoo" anyone?  Thought it was definately worth it.  She's a great character and I always like dark films that are smartly made.  It probably tries to cover too much territory so as not to dissapoint the readers of the book, but no complaints here.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1338 on: August 26, 2010, 03:40:39 PM »
Went to see the Expendables today. I was astounded that such bad scripting could be allowed in a blockbuster film, but the experience was enjoyable enough even though Mickey Rourke was almost criminally underused. It was pretty funny that he was still wearing his Iron Man 2 attire too :D

A-Train

« Reply #1339 on: August 27, 2010, 05:10:50 AM »
I was astounded that such bad scripting could be allowed in a blockbuster film,

I'd be astounded if it were any other way.  These movies are best watched with the sound off. 
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1340 on: August 27, 2010, 04:46:02 PM »
I was astounded that such bad scripting could be allowed in a blockbuster film,

I'd be astounded if it were any other way.  These movies are best watched with the sound off. 

Co-written by Stallone.  Why would anyone expect good dialog.  mmmmmmmmmm
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1341 on: September 16, 2010, 01:05:56 AM »
The kind of film that I wish I had made about China.

http://www.zeitgeistfilms.com/lasttrainhome/

Borkya

« Reply #1342 on: September 16, 2010, 04:05:50 AM »
Sounds good slims. Found a good download if it yet?

« Reply #1343 on: September 16, 2010, 04:26:19 AM »
Sounds good slims. Found a good download if it yet?

Unfortunately, no.  It was screened here in the UK last night on More 4.  The DVD is being released soon - so one or two very dedicated followers of China on film may upload it - and it will also be available to watch online...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/last-train-home

...but I have no idea how one can circumnavigate the territory control that websites like these put in place.

« Reply #1344 on: September 18, 2010, 06:20:44 PM »
Right now, I thank the gods for the (Chinese?) person who so kindly put 'Juniour Masterchef Australia' on Tudou. Started a couple of weeks ago in Oz. For those not in the know, it's another reality program about ordinary people competing to cook amazing food and be judged by Michelin star chefs- so now these are 10-11 year old kids  aoaoaoaoao! It's taken Australia by storm- when I was home at summer I constantly heard arguments along the line of the differences between a dressing and an aioli  mmmmmmmmmm.

OMG they're incredible! Also turns out that one of the top 20 finalists is actually my stepsister's cousin, who's 12. Go Ainsleigh!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1345 on: October 07, 2010, 03:34:18 AM »
The new HBO series Boardwalk Empire

Atlantic City during prohibition staring Steve Buscemi as a crooked politician that controls the city along with his brother the Chief of Police. He has to deal with the Feds and other mobsters like Lucky Luciano and Al Capone.

Really good stuff. It has more a movie look and fell than a tv series.

fox

« Reply #1346 on: October 08, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »

nice recommend slim. watched it last night with some friends, a window into the struggles of so many here.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

« Reply #1347 on: October 31, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »
I'd like to invite you to spend an evening with Stephen Fry...

http://play.sydneyoperahouse.com/index.php/Talks/stephen-fry-sydney-opera-house.html

If you're stuck in the middle of nowhere - not having had a decent conversation in English for more than a month - then this is for you.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:17:02 PM by Slim Pickens »

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #1348 on: November 20, 2010, 11:05:25 PM »
Thanks for the tip on Boardwalk, Slim. HBO never disapoints.

I just started watching The Walking Dead, a brand new series on Fox of all places. It's about the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse, which begs the question "Where has this show been all my life?"

Seriously, if the first episode is any indication, it's quite good. It was created by Frank Darabont of Shawshank Redemption fame, so there is a stamp of quality on it. They have currently aired three episodes.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #1349 on: November 29, 2010, 01:13:46 AM »
Gotta give big props to The Social Network, a movie about the creation of Facebook. Really well done-directed by David Fincher I believe.