Favourite TV drama of all time?

• 53 replies

Dex

Favourite TV drama of all time?
« on: March 08, 2010, 07:30:22 PM »
Hi

Went to Vietnam last month (nowhere as good as China, he'hum!). I managed to pick up the (fake) box set of Oz - HBO TV prison drama made about a decade ago. Amazing, superb!!!

Wondered what salooner's fave non-Chinese TV drama/programme might be. Answers please!

ababababab

PS. If anyone has a Chinese TV drama that is their 'favourite' - I'll be flabbergasted!
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: Favourite TV drama of all time?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:29:47 PM »
all those ones by david simon (?) the wire, homicide and generation kill are just amazing

the early series of sopranos up till it gets waaaay dark

my favourite british series off the top of my head is probably cracker, they only made about 12 but they were all amazing

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:56:09 PM »
McLeod's Daughters- so incredible! About 2 sisters running a huge sheep/ cattle station in South Australia- just bought the first series and it's FINNNALLLY arrived, dying to show it in my Culture class!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 11:54:34 PM »
are we allowing sitcoms?

if so: arrested development (very underrated, but I've watched all 3 series 3 times and it never fails to make me laugh)

"wo ju" or "dwelling narrowness" seems to be the most important Chinese TV series of ... well, maybe ever!

it's a very realistic tale of the struggles of young graduates in Beijing. It was considerably "harmonized" due to some very upfront criticisms of you-know-what. Highly recommended if you can find a set with subtitles.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Monkey King

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:35:57 AM »
Seconding Sopranos and The Wire.

Mad Men (I wanna live in the late fifties where a man can drink and smoke at work and just generally be a sexist un-PC asshole and get away with it.)

Californication (Agent Mulder is a pretty cool dude!)

Nip Tuck (Trashy, but was fun to watch with the ex, haven't seen it since season 2 tho)

Deadwood (Absolutely brilliant, but they leave you hanging as they never made the final season!!!  asasasasas)

Wow, I watch a lot of TV....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:45:11 AM by MK »

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 02:00:45 AM »
seconding Deadwood - that show has the weirdest script I ever heard. Yokel-Shakespearean.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Borkya

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 02:02:53 AM »
I would second arrested development!

And, if we're allowed to go back in time I'd say Parker Lewis Can't Lose. Totally 90's style, ferris bueller rip off, but for some reason I latched onto it as a kid and can still recite most of the catch phrases 15 years later!

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 02:29:01 AM »
Californication is great. Weeds too, also on Showtime, although it has slipped a bit in recent seasons.

Most of the HBO series are good. Back in the day I loved Six Feet Under. These days I'm enjoying Big Love.

I like House too, when it is on. It seems to go on Hiatus an awful lot, doesn't it? Friday Night Lights, about small town Texas high school football, is another favorite show of mine -- it is amazingly well and gets a lot of critical acclaim, but the ratings have never been good enough to keep it from the brink of extinction. There are also a few family dramas like Brothers and Sisters that I watch, although Brothers and Sisters is not nearly as good as it once was.

As for ones to use in class ... my students loooooove Gossip Girl, this show about rich Manhattan teenagers. Maybe it is because they feel like they're watching their American counterparts!  ahahahahah

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 02:51:50 AM »
Favourite TV drama...Doctor Who...
I like House, but mainly because he reminds me of my dad....he's a doctor with severe patience issues when it comes to pseudo-sick people...don't even say "obesity epedemic" to him or he'll beat you with a medical dictionary and ask you if you are really so vapid as to believe that over-eating is contagious...true story...except for the beating part...

I love Deadwood...never have I come across such a delightful mixture of eloquence and brutal swearing before...

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 02:53:58 AM »
I liked OZ in the beginning, but then the story lines became just a little hard to beleive.

Weeds!
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 02:56:14 AM »
I second the Dr. Who part <3

At the moment I am LOVING True Blood season 2.

Am waiting to see if there will be a new season of WEEDS, though I think that the earlier seasons were better than the newer one.

Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 03:07:16 AM »
The Wire (a cut above)
The West Wing
Deadwood
Rome
Firefly
Magnum PI
Miami Vice
Hill Street Blues
St. Elsewhere

I've been watching Law & Order for most of my adult life. It's more like family.

There's also must see crap  like Manimal and Knight Rider

simba

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 04:23:53 AM »
The Sopranos without a doubt.
British TV- It's not really a drama but I have to mention Only Fools and Horses, classic!

Dex

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 06:31:54 AM »
aha... I see simba is dropping comedies into the equation; and why not? Some have been long running and captivating. Only Fools and Horses rocks! We need a comedy thread going!

Others mentioned some great ones, like Dr Who (pity the old versions are soooo naff); the Bill (I'll ever forget the name Garfield); Spooks - totally awesome.

I haven't seen House but keep meaning to - for we Brits, it's just wierd seeing Hugh Laurie in such a role! Will check it out.

Wish I could see Family Guy all over again!

Stewie: "Did you hear that Meg? Guys can marry other guys now. So...this is awkward, but I mean, if they can do that, that is pretty much it for you, isn't it? I mean you as well pack it in. Game over."
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 04:11:58 PM »
for comedy series trailer park boys deserves a mention

and i've just been watching father ted on youku. it's still just brilliant