Teach in Africa

• 8 replies
Teach in Africa
« on: March 13, 2016, 02:54:59 PM »
Would you? Where would you? Would China's increasing involvement in the region make a difference?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Tree

• This personal text is false.
Re: Teach in Africa
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 04:57:04 PM »
I'd love to. Thing is though that they speak English to a decent level already, or French. Mostly French.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 02:00:01 AM »
I would never teach in Africa.
It is either too corrupt, too violent, or too poor.

Oh, and thanks to all the recent militarism and boko haram etc, it is too xenophobic.

At least in China the supreme leader keeps 'sort of' tabs on those things.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 04:52:25 AM »
depends on the country, really..
Morocco has some decent options, especially in Rabat with the American Cultural Center.
Algeria is pushing forward with English and so are some of the other French speaking countries.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 05:36:55 AM »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 10:02:53 PM by Isidnar »

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 05:20:34 PM »
There are enough flies in China.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 10:26:42 PM »
Can't remember why I made this topic. I do remember I was not thinking ESL. But a whim based on how unknown Africa is to me, and how it'd seem like missing out to never have been there in the end. A lot of years ago, my sister spent two months travelling by truck from Kenya to Zimbabwe and said it changed her perspective on a lot of things, travel included. So I looked at a map just now and found I recognise most of the names in terms of wars and other violence.

On the other hand, it does seem like missing out to never go there.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 07:43:19 PM »
Sounds like fun, but Stripy Emperor forbids me from taking extended overseas trips.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 07:22:06 AM »
Morocco has some decent options, especially in Rabat with the American Cultural Center.

I'd give a pass to Morocco.

Apparently, it is extremely difficult to take any earnings you managed to save out of the country.

nah.... much easier than taking them out of China. Especially because any decent teaching position there comes with proper contract meaning your salary is usually net and the company/school has already paid taxes. so as a foreigner, you can take it all.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com