Restaurants in China - more than food

• 16 replies

xwarrior

Restaurants in China - more than food
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:59:47 PM »
Across the road from my college in Baoji (Shaanxi) is the village of Dan Jia Cun. I eat most of my meals there and these photos are of one of many small restaurants.

This is a rural community so the menu is pretty basic. The standard meal of the area is Chao Mian - there seems to be infinite variations of this but the most popular comes with a fried egg on top. Costs RMB5 for a large heaped plate. No charge for a large pot of piping hot tea and a small bowl of rice.
The most expensive meal is 'Lamb/mutton' for RMB10

At least once a week I have jiaozi. These are the best I have had in China - silky pastry and filled with heaps of 'stuff.' I stagger through a plate of 40 for RMB5.

I am the only foreigner in the area. It took a year for the staff to overcome their shyness (in the beginning it was more fear!) but now I feel like I am part of the family.

The cooks come from Xi'an. They work a 5hr shift. For this shift their day actually starts at 4pm when they come in and sit down for a quiet baiju or beer while they read the paper and chat for an hour. They work from 5pm to 10pm.
I am the one sitting on the very far right.   xxxxxxxxxx

All of this great food is produced in this kitchen. Your bedroom is most probably bigger than this working area!

I could not believe that they are cooking on a coal range.

Food preparation areas are rather basic but a 'chopper' has a 100 uses.

The restaurant is owned by a family. The 'boss' employs, among others, his 23yr old son (Manager) and his girlfriend (she could not afford to carry on with nurse training), a 15 yr old niece (whose father died leaving the family impoverished), a young boy with a deformed leg who is learning the chef business, and assorted 'others.'

A small restaurant is one place you can get to see a family in action in China. It is a generational thing!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:09:44 PM by xwarrior »
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Re: Restaurants in China - more than food
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »
:) Great photos. Thumbs up to hole in the wall places and peasant food. This just confirms my theory that food in the countryside is much better than food in the city.

NATO

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 06:29:55 PM »
Fantastic photo's. Thanks for the background story behind the owners; these are the people that keep this country running.

chinalin

• The Great wall in winter.
    • Lin's China Travels
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 10:37:25 PM »
Awesome pics and stories.  Great reporting.

Chinalin
Zhaoqing, Guangdong.

bxbxbxbxbx

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 11:34:16 PM »
Such a cool story about the restaurant. That food does look really good. I think it's awesome that you developed such a great rapport with the staff and management.

Paul

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:54:52 PM »
Pure China photos, and lovely!

You can eat 40 dumplings?  Wow!  Respect!

AMonk

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 12:39:45 AM »
W akakakakak W  Fantastic photos bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf Thank you for sharing bjbjbjbjbj
Moderation....in most things...

Monkey King

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 01:31:48 AM »
Great photos, and everything you want from a restaurant - cheap food that comes with quality, quantity and friendly service (rare in Shanghai, and I'm hungry now!)

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 02:04:13 AM »
I love these collections you post up x

do you have a place online for them? I would love to make a tumblr for them or something

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »
Thanks for the great photos xwarrior. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 03:20:38 AM »
Love these photos, well done!

Family run restaurants are great especially if you become known to them. It’s like having a second family.

There was a family run restaurant in Vietnam that I will always remember.
I ate there every night that I was in town. The menu was in English and Vietnamese but I wasn’t allowed to order anything until I’d at least attempted to say it in Vietnamese first….v.funny!

The whole family made an appearance: Momma, the two daughters, the two tearaway sons (“Hey! You want to try Opium?”…”Thanks but no”).

Grandma who was 90 odd!, they’d bought milk from Oz especially to help her bones, but she bloody hated it, funny watching her being made to drink it. The faces she pulled!

The younger daughter who got 2 hours free help with her English reading from me, one of the reasons that I’m now taking the path that I’m on.("One secret...many secretS!" that words ending in a consonant pronunciation problem)

Momma’s tirade against a well known travel guide….”F**king Lonely Planet!, my food is good, my beer is cheap, but the people don’t come!!....That café over there is in the book but they aren’t as good as us!...F**king Lonely Planet!!!”
I said “I come here every night!”
She responded with “I know, you are a good boy!” (Pinches my cheek)

I was really sad to go when I moved on, but as I had to walk to the bus past their café they all came out to wave me off and wish me luck……Awwww! What wonderful people!
Arse end of nowhere...across from the renegade province.

"Liberty is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear" - George Orwell

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 04:42:33 PM »
Well done! agagagagag
But yer makin' me cry....God, but I miss real Chinese food... ananananan
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 03:20:18 AM »
Great photos and captions! I'm in Beijing and am quite jealous of those low prices for food!

George

• My view of China
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 06:29:08 AM »
Lovely stuff, X. agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 03:17:01 PM »
Great pics X!   bfbfbfbfbf

I can't wait to get to China (next year) and try the local cuisine!

All the best,

Sam
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."  (Oscar Wilde)