Mobile Data Plans (3G/4G) - what's available?

• 1 replies
Mobile Data Plans (3G/4G) - what's available?
« on: March 29, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »
Right now, because the only thing I know about my current data plan is it burns through phone credit wa-a-ay too fast, I almost never use my carrier data connection. The number is old, I bought it just for calls, and these days I do all my data through my home wifi connection. When out and about I just don't do data (except for once or twice a year when I get lost on back roads and have to GPS a way home). I'm thinking however I might look into a 3G plan, maybe 4G, for my next phone. So, what's out there, whatcha got, what's good? I checked the other day and discovered on wifi I get through about 2GB of data a month. That's news reading and web surfing, mostly, plus the occasional file download or Youku video.

The students around here all seem to use 3G, but now that I think about it, I don't know what provider. I'm presently with China Mobile.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: Mobile Data Plans (3G/4G) - what's available?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 05:58:52 PM »
A brief web search suggests that the three main telcos--China Mobile, China Telecom, China Unicom--all presently have TD-LTE licenses (China proprietary 4G, needs a China-specific phone), and China Mobile in particular is likely to stick with this standard. China Unicom and China Telecom *may* in the future get FDD-LTE licenses (a more global standard 4G, non-China phones can be used). For 3G, China Mobile offers the China-specific TD-SCDMA standard, China Telecom does CDMA2000/EVDO, and China Unicom has WCDMA. This last, the WCDMA standard used at China Unicom, generally works with phones bought from outside of China. And anecdotally, the China Unicom service is the fastest as well.

As I recall, we've had the standards discussion a few times before. But does anyone know prices, plan sizes, features, discounts, other stuff? Isn't China Unicom kind of crappy for voice?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0