How would China parse the Zombie Apocalypse?

• 32 replies
Re: How would China parse the Zombie Apocalypse?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 09:25:05 PM »
That is very cool. Are there really that many burials where you are? I've never seen a coffin for sale in my time here, and assumed that unless you're in the countryside pretty much everyone is cremated. My wife's family had to pay a hefty bribe to be able to bury her grandfather (on ancestral land) rather than have him cremated, but I hadn't thought to ask about the coffin.

I have no idea how many burials happen here. Riding around over the years I've often seen graves, or those pointy headstone things that mark a site. They appear in odd spots, like on small hills beside roads. Presumably they were there before the roads became roads. But I've never seen any big ole cemetery, nor even enough burial sites to justify a coffin industry. The dudes who seem to make the coffins have tiny shops beside this one road, maybe two or three coffins on display, maybe room at the back for a few more. Perhaps they have grandma in there and aren't coffin-makers at all. It's a small street in a large village/suburb-like area well outside the city center, but it gets a lot of traffic passing through and counts as the main street for the local area. In another five to ten years it'll have been overrun by all the suburban development that's going on out there, but, say, ten or fifteen years ago it would have been fairly isolated. I dunno. I just notice the coffins every time I ride past.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 03:06:20 AM »
Lao She's Cat Country got translated & published a year or so ago. It's supposed to be one of the first Chinese Sci-Fi novels, I think, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I wasn't able to get through it. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow on the plane.

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »
Speaking of Chinese scfi...

Writing China: Liu Cixin, ‘The Three-Body Problem’

Chinese science-fiction writer Liu Cixin has won widespread acclaim for his imaginative work “The Three-Body Problem.” The trilogy tells the story of a civilization in another star system that is facing extinction and chooses to invade the Earth in order to save itself. The first book in the series will next week be published in English for the first time by Tor Books in the U.S.

This weekend Mr. Liu will be one of the star attractions at a major science-fiction conference in Beijing, where China’s Nebula Awards for science fiction will be handed out. Mr. Liu won that prize in 2010.

China Real Time recently caught up with the author, who is also a full-time power plant engineer, to discuss bringing his book to an English audience, his latest work and the current state of science-fiction writing in China...
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0