The cut of Chinese trousers for men. Warning: mentions groins

• 13 replies

Paul

Or pants, if you prefer.

Am I alone in being unable to find anything ready made that is comfortable groinwise? Is there something about Chinese tailoring?

Or maybe I should look at raising my budget higher than the 29 kuai cheap stuff.

xwarrior

Re: The cut of Chinese trousers for men. Warning: mentions groins
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 03:34:43 AM »
Way back I was told something like ... there are two kinds of basic cut for men's trousers:

1. HIGH RISE - short distance between crotch (where the seams join) and waistline

2. LOW RISE - distance between crotch and waistline to allow 'more room.'

The difference is why some trousers feel too baggy for me (low rise) and others ''fit' (high rise). Not because I am deficient in the family jewels department but because I am skinny ... (that's my story and I am sticking to it).

Back home you can try on both cuts and the difference is real noticeable.

The problem I have with jeans in China is that they seem to be cut half way between the two. Even if I pull them up as high as they will go (ie to the point of doing some damage to aforesaid family jewels) they will gradually edge down.
 asasasasas

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

BrandeX

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:05:27 AM »
I'll go with the not buying 29rmb pants for locals. Shop at a department store instead and you should have better luck.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
Just realized, aside from the suits I had made, I never bought pants in China. I did have problems with some t-shirts though--they were usually tight around the armpits.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 03:12:21 PM »
Unless I do another USA shopping run, I'm due for some new jeans soon.  Nice to know what I have to look forward to. aoaoaoaoao
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 04:14:01 PM »
I've both had trousers made and bought off the rack when my size (large for China) was available, without problems.

I paid in the 200 rmb range for both off-the-rack and tailored. Cheap shirts I can find, but not trousers or jackets in my size.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

xwarrior

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 05:13:01 PM »
I think you should be able to find trousers/pants that fit in China but before hunting around check out the rise you want.

Measure the rise of trousers in your wardrobe that feel comfortable. Take a ruler on your next shopping expedition and reject any trousers that do not match that measurement.

You could still ask the staff to take your inside leg measurement just for fun  ahahahahah   

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

BrandeX

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 06:25:29 PM »
Another thing that will help is to try them on before you buy them!

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 01:13:09 AM »
I bought sunnny boy some new jeans at one of those fancy department stores that all the Koreans like to shop at. It's called Jusco.

Do you have one in your neck of the woods?

He seemed happy with them, so I went back and bought another pair.

They were on sale. Usually Jusco's prices are ridiculous, but these were on sale for 50 RMB.
Sometimes you can find some deals there...

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 05:15:49 AM »
There are a bunch of Levi Stores around here. One place we checked actually had fake Levis but seriously reduced - no thanks.

I have bought a pair of black slacks, fits really well and even had cuffs put in
The other were just plain pants and looking good, cuffs as well.

BrandeX, you'd think that would be par for the course but not always   kkkkkkkkkk. I seen people hold them up to their waist, purchase then leave  kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Paul

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 02:48:35 AM »
Unfortunately, a trip to the nearest department store would require a long weekend.

My students will just have to get used to watching me manually re-adjust every few minutes to get a bit of comfort.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 12:07:08 PM »
You can substitute teach for a friend of mine, he tells me he has one kid that keeps reaching over and "shifts gears" for him.

On a serious note, he HAS mentioned this to the TA and school
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Paul

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 04:49:39 AM »
Ha ha ha!  I just realised I missed a few very funny posts while I was busy changing nappies (that's diapers to many of you).

Has the TA responded?

I try to be careful these days, after a student complained once in another school.
No, no, no, not about that!  A related matter though:  I'd lost a few pounds after a couple of months' training for a run and put on a pair of trousers that I hadn't worn for some time, without a belt.
I had to hitch them up lots of times during class (I always stand when I'm teaching, and often run around a bit).
One girl told me I was "so bad manners".  I guess I should have taught her better English.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »
Something like 90% of all cheap clothing sold in Russia is manufactured in China and I've discovered that summer britches (aka long shorts) manage to combine the crotch crushing effects of "high rise" with the concertina appearance of "low rise".  My wife threatens to divorce me if I ever wear my recently purchased Chinese britches again.

BTW, do clothes made to fit midgets also bear the size mark XXL in China?  If I purchase trousers, shorts or underpants made in almost any other country, I go for the "medium" measurement, but my XXL Chinese clothes cling to my 1.60 metre, 63 kilo frame as though glued on.