Jesus Camp

• 33 replies

Mimi

Jesus Camp
« on: May 19, 2007, 07:38:57 PM »
Has anyone seen it?  A really startling documentary. 

The administrators of the camp actually stated that they hoped these children would sacrifice themselves in the fashion of children from Palestine and Pakistan, since that really shows devotion to "God"

Most importantly, they are teaching these children at a very young age to remain completely inflexible on the issues of abortion and gay marriage.  Of course, there is no talk of murder and rape, as those issues don't get republicans elected.

It is also talks about global warming and environmental issues as being inconsequential, as they believe their God gave us this earth to use only for our benefit and we can't possibly destroy it before the apocalypse. 

To those of you from America who wish to return, what do you think?  Do you think this is okay, do you want your children to go to school with children who attend such camps?  Do you think there is a line between raising your children with free will and indoctrinating them with hatespeech, violence, and ignorance?

AMonk

Re: Jesus Camp
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 01:00:58 AM »
This sounds like more than just a fundamentalist-Christian organisation.  It sounds more like an Aryan Nation group "doing their thing" to "protect" (white) people from all the "bad influences" that abound in the USA today....blacks, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Liberals.......etc.
Moderation....in most things...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 01:39:55 AM »
 aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa
have a look at this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CgvgjfwyPs
There are other samples there too.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

George

• My view of China
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 01:41:55 AM »
And here's what Crippler has to say about it......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F8z80pD5JE&NR=1

ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
I'm not laughing at the message...just the resemblance!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 01:52:00 AM by George »

George

• My view of China
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 01:50:40 AM »
Where do these people come from? I know we got them in Australia too, but how do they get to be so fucking gullible!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru7Ds2FZpVk&mode=related&search=

BamBam

• The Learning Tunnel
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 01:54:44 AM »
Yeah, I saw it a while back.  It's Christian fundamentalism at its worst.  I feel sorry for the children and hopefully when they mature, they will start thinking for themselves.  I choose to believe that this kind of thinking is in the very small minority, but even if it is small, it seems to have a loud voice in American politics, as evidenced in the current president and his beliefs and policies.  As an American, I believe that both the extreme right and the extreme left have far too much political influence.  The vast middle, the rational thinking Americans, do not have a voice in the system. 

But back to the documentary, Jesus Camp may seem shocking to some, but organizations like it are all over America.  Free speach you know?  Their only real affect is on the unfortunate brainwashed children that are sent there by their parents.  The film itself can only hurt their cause.  Beliefs like theirs are best kept secret.
Those that think they can, and those that think they can\'t are both right.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 02:06:01 AM »
Unfortunately I think it is just the tip of the iceberg.  Home schooled students are also on the far right. They are being sent to special Universities to be trained for Government work and political aids.  Heinlein will be right if things keep the same. asasasasas
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 05:15:24 AM »
We have far fewer of the christian loons in the UK, barring the odd nutter standing in high streets ranting. Phew!

Unfortunately, we have far too many islamonut loons instead.  asasasasas
It is too early to say.

Newbs

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
Did you guys get the news over there that Jerry Falwell died?  In the standard 15 second grab on the news there was much play of his blaming feminists, gays etc for 9/11 and for alleging that the purple sponge was gay. bibibibibi

BamBam

• The Learning Tunnel
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 02:13:41 PM »
Jerry Faldwell died?  I get all those spokespeople for the Christian right mixed up, but I seem to recall him warning that Jesus's return was imminent, and that it was gonna happen in our lifetime.  I guess he didn't mean his own lifetime.
Those that think they can, and those that think they can\'t are both right.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 04:11:27 PM »
That education system is in place in many areas.  But, you would have to make it compulsory to attend the school thus taking away freedom of choice. 

I am afraid of fundamentalism of any kind be it religious or political or ...  As for all of us here, we are obviously able to make choices with open eyes or else we wouldn't be here.  Think of all the others who have trouble leaving their hometown, even to travel to another such town in a neighbouring state or province - fear of otherness.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

Mimi

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 08:34:04 PM »
Newbs - many fundamentalists take their children out of school and teach them at home, which is legal.  Honestly, considering the kind of backwards education I recieved in a small town which in no way prepared me for university (because very real and important topics weren't "appropriate"), I support homeschooling.  But... it is very controversial.  Maybe the world has outgrown Christianity, maybe Christianity has outgrown the world, but they definitely don't seem to fit together.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 04:43:31 AM »
Maybe the world has outgrown Christianity, maybe Christianity has outgrown the world, but they definitely don't seem to fit together.
Which I kinda gathered was the whole idea...

Perhaps my favorite film is Being There...the Peter Sellars classic. My interpretation of the film is that OK, various religions tell us to reject the world and have total faith. What would it be like if such a guy actually showed upaoaoaoaoao

I support the right to homeschool, but I think some standards should be imposed. I don't think many parents are qualified to teach. I see some appeal in homeschooling...but I also think, for better or worse, it can be a real damper to developing social skills.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 08:27:28 AM »
I agree. I have given some thought to home schooling and the lack of social development has been my biggest concern. I think home schooling is OK so long as the teachers are capable(sadly a lot of public school teachers in the West are not) and there is another social outlet. Soccer...baseball...chess club...dancing...anything that lets you interact with others your own age.

As far as religion goes...I am a devout atheist. However I intend to educate my son about all religious faiths and their beliefs. Religion is an important part of world culture.  If he chooses to embrace one...so be it. I won't be real happy about it but I feel I should give him the choice to decide what to believe rather than cramming my beliefs down his throat. This is a concept these "Jesus Camp" types don't seem to understand.Frankly I believed in a second coming I'd bet Jesus would sue these guys for using his name.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 07:43:19 PM »
Home schooling - I have seen it work a number of ways.  Some excel and go on to hit impressive scores at universities.  Many are just normal kids living with not so normal parents who want something different for their kids, usually escape from a system that they found to be painful (socially) as a youth.  Some want to take their children out of the heathen public school system as it encourages too much "think for yourself" rather than follow the righeous path.  Others want to take their children out of the line of fire in terms of bullying.  Some good reasons, some very pathetic reasons.

However, homeschooling is more about programming the youth to see it "my way" (parents' fundamentalist belief system).  The learning is more "rote" than not.  The teaching is for the most part very weak if present at all.  Let's face it - kids home with mom doing school work, housework, church work - rather than playing and learning with other kids.  The public school systems all suck in various creative ways (yes, I am a retired school administrator) but they still are the best we have yet devised as a human species that is VERY messy and for the most part, irrational in a logical sort of way.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)