Best Bikes to Buy in China?

• 4 replies

Ivyman

Best Bikes to Buy in China?
« on: November 11, 2019, 01:44:21 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I moved to a small city outside of Beijing.  What should I use for transportation?

1.  Among the options I see are:

a.  Regular, pedal bike (such as with a basket on the front)

b.  Sports bike, such as the same racing bike Tour De France people use, just not as expensive.

c.  Cheap electronic moped

d.  Expensive electronic moped

e.  Cheap motorbike

f.  Expensive motorbike

2.  I am willing to buy new or used.

3.  Any suggestions on what has worked, and what is worth it?

4.  Any particular vendors we like?

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: Best Bikes to Buy in China?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 06:11:32 AM »
personally I always buy a Giant bike for a couple of thousand. I have bought cheap bikes but you have a nice one and it's just no trouble. They last me a year at least so it's kind of cheap

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 08:00:28 PM »
Does your city have large clusters of rental bikes?  If so, give those a try before buying one.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 09:55:09 PM »
Mid-range electric scooter. That's what most people would end up getting. There was a fad briefly for electric bikes kitted out like sports motorcycles that you could lean forward on and pretend to be racing, but the majority get and use the more traditional shape that make you sit bolt upright. Don't know how much they cost.

If anyone's getting a pedal bicycle, they probably opt for an entry level mtb style bike from Giant or Merida at a price of 2-to-4 thousand rmb. By and large they're rugged, robust, functional machine that will last years. (My current Merida is going on ten years old and still fully functional.) There are higher end bikes available, but just as in the western world, they're for people who shave their legs and are priced accordingly. Lower end bikes also exist, obviously, but you're flirting with the crappy component end of the market then and their longevity is questionable. That said, I did once buy a simple single speed bike with a wide seat and a basket at the front and used it to commute between apartment and workplace. It required some attention but it worked well enough for about six months anyway.

As for motorcycles... they're kind of disappearing, aren't they? They require licenses and are significantly more regulated than both pedal and e-bikes. People still ride them, I guess. Mostly as moto-taxis.

when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 06:16:11 PM »
I got an 2nd hand E-Bike the first day I arrived in China.   After a couple months I had gone everywhere I could within its available radius.

Right now I am using a 2nd hand Honda motor scooter I've bought for 800 (helmet included). It goes when I want it to go, and stops when I want it to stop.

I met someone else with the same bike who said it was 10k, new. 

The new bikes are fun, but its like free food... it just tastes better.

I'd recommend the cheapest used motorbike you can get that still works. Make sure the guy fixes all the little quirks before you take it. (check the lights, brakes, oil, mirrors, etc.)