Looking for info on living in Harbin.

• 21 replies

Vegemite

Re: Looking for info on living in Harbin.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 05:13:51 PM »
It's COOOOOOLD there, dude. Nothing between you and Siberia except some lines on a map.

And myself and Kcannuck...

And, yes, it's cold up north but the buildings are all designed for it...and the radiators are turned on earlier in the season than they are in other parts of China. And off later - they just got turned off up here this weekend.

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 07:03:45 PM »
I find Harbin very well equipped. You don't go without much when you have the likes of Walmart and Carrefore around.

I would suggest for your wife, bring a stock pile of underware, (depending on her size). The Chinese girls are small (all over) and the underware is made to fit them. So if you're more of a fuller figure it will be hard to buy what you need.

Shoes really aren't much of a problem. Just like at home, different brands have different sizings.... At home in Aust, I'm a 9. Here I own everything from 39's to 44's. (Be prepared for sparkles... Apparently the more it sparkles the better in China)

Tailors can make just about anything for you too. So if you can't buy what you want, head to the tailor. Cheap, quick and it will fit properly.

Make up - remnanats of the 80's. Lots of bright colours, glitter and foudations with white bases. Fine if you have pale skin. If not, and you're a make up person, bring a supply.
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 01:10:20 AM »
Ah, but dongbei girls aren't known as the most beautiful girls in China for nothing! It doesn't matter how many layers there are you will be captivated... watching the layers come off is a special kind of torture with a happy ending!

they have indeed some of the prettier ladies in China. Strange thing though is that the dongbei ladies are everywhere... from your local massage parlor to the KTV complex... I've never even been to dongbei but I feel like I should know it by now..
 bfbfbfbfbf
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 10:09:25 PM »
Thanks again folks for all the great info. It sounds like I can get rid of alot of my stuff before I leave. I'll be happy not to have to bring a bunch of stuff with me.
 I do have another question about the area though.....
I like to fish. Saltwater and fresh. Is there any good fishing around Harbin ?
Thanks everyone and have a great day !

phets72

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 10:16:44 PM »
I taught with LT and spent alot of good times in Harbin.  Yes, it does get cold and I can't stand the cold, but well I coped and had a wonderful time there.

phets72

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 10:18:21 PM »
I think you can fish there, but I dont know if you'd want to.  ND would know better than most.  I have seen some of the men ice fishing from the city as you enter going over the bridge (name eludes me).

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 05:48:40 PM »
There's folks who fish everywhere there's a river.  should make you some local friends too. jjjjjjjjjj
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com