Marriage in China v Marriage back 'home'

• 24 replies
Re: Marriage in China v Marriage back 'home'
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 06:58:41 AM »
My family would have killed us if we didn't get married in the states.  Only my parents had met my wife... so we decided on getting a tourist visa for her... we went home to America, got married and then went back to China after 4 weeks.  Phew...a tiring trip.  Then a few years later we applied for her immigration visa... it all worked out... so that's how we did it.

She has a green card now and we're in the states... the wait was long but you have to be ready for that and not try to fit these processes into YOUR schedule.

I think we were lucky that she got a tourist visa... but she had been abroad before in Africa.  Anyway... hope this helps...
One and only Chinese/English Comic strip on the web.  See my profile for the website!

Dex

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 10:53:25 PM »
Mmmm... marrying on a regular tourist visa?!

I'm inclined to believe that in the UK, a marriage or fiance visa is designed for that, but at the same time, I can't really see how being on a tourist visa would stop a UK-based marriage proceding.

I can't really see the marriage clerk/priest asking to see her passport and visa before the actual kiss, can you?

Then again, there could be a jolly good reason as to why marriage/fiance visas exist!

Thanks again!!
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 07:24:32 PM »
In Australia, marrying on a tourist visa means that you are supposed to go BACK to your own country before you reapply for the right visa and/or permits. There are ways around it, but that's the point of it. They actually have sent people back, including pregnant women. One woman pointed out that that means the baby would be terminated in China, but the govt sent her back, and the baby was terminated.

There was an outcry, I understand. (Previous govt.)To me that's voluntary manslaughter of an Australian citizen, with the govt legally and directly responsible. SHould have sent her back after the birth.

Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 11:01:04 PM »
Egad, what province was that in.  aoaoaoaoao
Around here they just hit the family up with a fine (anywhere from annoying to HUGE, depending on the specific town) and sometimes deny the "extra" child free schooling.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

AMonk

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 12:15:32 AM »
Egad, what province was that in. 

Nobody was talking about...

In Australia,
Moderation....in most things...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 12:27:55 AM »
I think EL was asking which Province was she sent back to. Australian Governments are usually composed of arseholes!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 12:52:55 AM »
What George said.

EscapedLunatic.com

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 08:49:47 AM »
I have a vague memory that the one I was thinking about was sent to Guangdong. There was another, longer ago that was to Shanghai or somewhere similar.

I think 60% or so of women aged 18-25 or so going to Oz come from Guangdong and Guangxi. 60% of those fail to return.

I have enough problems keeping track of my own women rather than random bints who overstay their visas.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Dex

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 03:36:50 PM »
Probably Hunan too - our college is affiliated to a Melbourne college.
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 02:58:37 AM »
Odd.  All the "violators of population control" that I know are from those two provinces.  Must be that some towns are more extreme than others.  Penalties I'm aware of range from 5000 RMB up to about 120,000 RMB (10k per year for 12 years).
EscapedLunatic.com