• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
ANZAC Bikkies...
« on: April 24, 2007, 07:30:54 AM »
<More rework. Salvaged from an older thread, now expunged...>

those do sound good  bfbfbfbfbf

have any photos?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 01:51:07 AM by Raoul Duke »
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

phets72

ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 11:08:26 PM »
Today I have been doing alot of baking - shepherds pie, lemon and walnut muffins and anzac biscuits.  If I see anymore food, I'll be the size of a house or at least a small cottage.

Vegemite

ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 03:46:32 PM »
Anzac biscuits are a down-under delight, lots of raisins, sultanas, oats and coconut in a thin, round, chewy biscuit. No eggs and butter.

ANZAC stands for Australian New Zealand Army Core and the biscuits were supposedly made for the soldiers.

ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 07:43:10 PM »
I feel ripped off... ours never had raisins or saltanas... just rolled oats, golden syrup, brown sugar and butter. Still incredibly tasty though.  ;D
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

George

• My view of China
ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 08:28:50 PM »
ours never had raisins or saltanas
That's the civilian version.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

phets72

ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 08:51:14 PM »
The biscuits Vege refers to are actually the ones eaten by the ANZACS.  Here in Oz, and the ones I made, don't have sultanas and raisins and the like.

We didn't have plain rolled oats only these ones that are banana flavoured and the bikkies have turned out really yummy! 

cheexyblonde

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 12:38:58 AM »
The plain rolled oat ones are better, especially hot out of the oven, still soggy and bendy.

Yumm.

I can make them in my DEVICE. I can get the ingredients. I should make some.

MMMmmmmm I'll do it over Mayday.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Vegemite

ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 04:39:59 AM »
I feel ripped off... ours never had raisins or saltanas... just rolled oats, golden syrup, brown sugar and butter. Still incredibly tasty though.  ;D

Well, ours never had butter... bfbfbfbfbf ...so fair's fair.

Mr Nobody

ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 05:53:46 PM »
http://www.aussieslang.com/features/anzac-biscuits.asp

http://www.abc.net.au/tasmania/stories/s1087121.htm
The pic doesn't look right. Should looks sort of thinner at the edges and less regular. I think not enough oats and golden syrup and too much flour and maybe not enough butter in proportion, by the look of it.

http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/anzac/biscuit/recipe.htm This looks too coconutty.

Here is three from the web. I will get my mum's recipe I think. These don't look right but I can't put my finger on what is wrong. She isn't answering her messenger at the moment.

phets72

ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 10:20:25 PM »
ANZAC BISCUITS

FLOURED OR GREASED TIN
2 CUPS OF ROLLED OATS
1/2 CUP OF SUGAR
3/4 CUP OF FLOUR
1 TABLESPOON OF GOLDEN SYRUP
1 TEASPOON OF BICARBONATE OF SODA
2 TABLESPOONS OF BOILING WATER
1/2 CUP OF BUTTER, MELTED (BUT NOT BOILING)

Mix oats, sugar and flour.  Mix golden syrup, soda and boiling water.  While frothing add melted butter and pure into dry ingredients.  Mix thoroughly.

Drop in spoonfuls onto tray and allowing room to spead.  Bake - 15-18 minutes, in fan forced oven (in china hahahahha) for 15 at around 160-180.  Remember they are still cooking when you are taking them out of the oven and cooling.  Then are better under cooked slightly than overcooked.

The benefits though of overcooked ones, is they are great missiles for naughty students.  Only joking.

Bakers comments: I made some for anzac day and they turned out extrememly well, so well my taste testers (puppies) loved them as well so they have become known as Ebbydaisies in their honour.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:30:16 PM by phets72 »

ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 10:26:23 PM »
Soft ones are best.... I'm not a fan of the crunchy ones kkkkkkkkkk
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Mr Nobody

ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 10:30:50 PM »
That looks much better. Proportions look good. Butter is absolutely correct, not chemically modified vegetable oil, suitable only for refilling sumps or greasing rails. I mean, margarine.

Leave LOTS of room on the tray, more than you think. They spread a lot. Although, it is ok to let them run into each other a bit. They break off fine, and the edges don't crisp.

Slightly underdone is how I always do it, too. Just getting brown on the bottom. Then hot out of the oven, all droopy and soft, mouth scalding and an icy glass of milk.

Sigh.

ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 06:30:36 PM »
It is similar but I definitely don't recommend substituting. The flavour of the syrup is really evident in the biscuits. Honey just doesn't work.

I've had them with nuts before. They're ok. But just not traditional. I'd probably steer clear of the vegies though (that's just a personal choice).

George

• My view of China
ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 10:12:37 PM »
golden syrup?  is that similar to honey? 
Similar only in colour and texture. It is partially refined sugar cane juice.....a couple steps up from molasses.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

AMonk

ANZAC Bikkies...
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 10:31:11 PM »
Golden syrup is made from sugar beets.  Yes, you could use honey (or Karo or light molasses) for a substitute...though the taste would be a bit different from the original.
Moderation....in most things...