What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 10:05:35 PM »
Well, I do not know the english title for the books of Robert Asprin. But if it is about Skeeve, Aahz and friend - the we talk about the same  agagagagag

Regarding movies or series from Dragonlance, I did nt hear about it, yet. I saw the two Dungeons&Dragons movies and for me, as a D&D player, they were total  bqbqbqbqbq
Hopefully the producers for the Dragonlance stuff do a better job, otherwise  cbcbcbcbcb
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 10:18:48 PM »
Indeed, we are on the same page regarding the Myth books and the D&D movies. I had no idea they made a second one. Why oh why would they do that? From what I can tell, they stick to the Dragonlance story and they have some pretty nifty actors to do the voices. Think Kiefer Sutherland is doing Raistlin.

And now I have to read some rather boring stuff, the annotated and commented edition of the Danish Constitution and Criminal Code...just to make my boss happy...sigh!
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 01:50:57 AM »
What is also very good stuff is the "Belgariath Saga" from David Eddings.
Seems like I am reading Fantasy stuff only  bfbfbfbfbf

But sometimes, I also read books about China.
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 04:18:17 AM »
I am currently being held captive by a large tome dealing with WWI. It's quite fascinating. My history teachers neglected to tell me much about this little skirmish, they were too preoccupied with telling me about the horrors of WWII. I seem to recall them telling me that WWI began because Franz Ferdinand was assassinated. That is just so completely wrong! I think I need to track down all my old teachers and  cbcbcbcbcb 'em good!
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

AMonk

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 04:46:25 AM »
I am currently being held captive by a large tome dealing with WWI......I seem to recall them telling me that WWI began because Franz Ferdinand was assassinated. That is just so completely wrong!

No, FF was not (just) killed by an assassin....he was done to death by Vanity.  He was such a prissy clothes-horse, that he insisted on being sewn into his suits! each day, and then he refused to give his doctors permission to cut them (even to sve his own life)!....and no one really mourned his dying...it was simply a good excuse to start a rumble - which then became widespread.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 06:22:34 AM »
Dragonlance is being made into an animated movie and it is already to the point that the composer is working on the score.

http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/

The things we touch have no permanence.

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 05:42:02 PM »
my first day in my town was spent in buying books!!!!!!!!

i bought the "the zahir" and jodi piccoult's "perfect match"..and some books from the book sale shops!!!!
if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 06:36:12 PM »
my first day in my town was spent in buying books!!!!!!!!

i bought the "the zahir" and jodi piccoult's "perfect match"..and some books from the book sale shops!!!!

the Zahir is amazing.... easily one of my favorite books from the last decade! No one seems to understand and portray Obsession & Passion like Paolo
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 08:15:59 PM »
You mean the Myth books? Yep, read them all. Devoured all the Dragonlance books when I was 15. I hear they are making that series into an animated series or movies. Should be interestin.

Yeah, I LOVED the Dragonlance books, or the Chronicles and Legends at any rate.  Raistlin and Cameron, what a fascinating pair of twins.  I liked the third book in Legends where the world is all messed up in the future.

Currently reading the first book of His Dark Materials, Northern Lights.  It's pretty cool.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 08:20:22 PM »
Oh my god, I'm glad someone else mentioned how bad the Dungeons and Dragon film was.  That truly was utterly shocking, up there (or down there) with Lost in Space and Spawn in my worst ever films list. 

IIRC LOTR came out about six months later, talk about ridiculous to the sublime.  Anyone who slags off Jackson's opus should be forced to watch that D&D crap.
It is too early to say.

moon over parma

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2007, 08:33:19 PM »
Anyone who slags off Jackson's opus should be forced to watch that D&D crap.

Or, just as bad - for slagging they should be forced to watch Jackson's version of KING KONG as punishment. Poor guy rushed in too quick with KONG. He spent a lot of aesthetic equity bringing the RINGS films to life.

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2007, 08:51:24 PM »
The really weird thing is that, albeit LOTR is the Godfather of Fantasy, it really takes a lot of effort to make D&D suck. Having read FR, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, David Eddings (his Sparhawk books are some of the best fantasy ever written, in my humble opinion)and a whole host of other authors, I am amazed that Hollywood could make such a complete mess of the genre. It did not help that one of those annoying Wayans brothers, the Whalin chap and the Master of Over-acting, Jeremy Irons himself was in it. I don't know what happened to Mr.Irons, he was always a rather good actor and was splendid in "Elizabeth I". As for interesting early fantasy, I can highly recommend the tales of Lord Dunsany, they are quite enjoyable.

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 12:29:22 AM »
McCaffrey is my favourite.  That new Dragon book sounds interesting.  I must look for it when I get to Canada.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 04:13:44 AM »
Anyone who slags off Jackson's opus should be forced to watch that D&D crap.

Or, just as bad - for slagging they should be forced to watch Jackson's version of KING KONG as punishment. Poor guy rushed in too quick with KONG. He spent a lot of aesthetic equity bringing the RINGS films to life.

I quite liked King Kong, but agreed, but it to say it wasn't a patch on LOTR would be an insult to patches.
It is too early to say.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 05:32:40 AM »
Just reluctantly finished a re-reading of Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. God, what I'd give to be able to write like that. And/or to have his access to truly interesting drugs.  uuuuuuuuuu
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)