• 495 replies
Re: Smartphones
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2012, 02:07:41 AM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:41:13 AM by Isidnar »

« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2012, 02:18:54 AM »
In the interests of not getting too squirrelly:

Thanks Stil for the microSIM info.

Why micro SIM? Who knows. Is there actually a reason? It seems Nokia and Motorola have micro SIM phones as well. The HTC One V will use normal SIMs and apparently the reason is that's the version the pay-as-you-go market will buy and they'll want to keep their SIMs.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2012, 02:29:54 AM »
Nuts, my inner marketing genius just kicked in, a step or two too late: HTC and the other phone makers (but not Samsung?) are offering micro SIM phones to make it easier for iphone users to switch.
bibibibibi

Perhaps nothing says market leader like patent suits and other companies aiming for your customers.

old34

« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2012, 03:00:25 AM »
Most of the microSIM trend is based on the design factor. A smaller microSIM tray means more space for a bit larger battery. Battery life (thus size) is a main driver of design right now as 3G and LTE can sap battery life.  Millimeters count especially when coupled with the desire (no not THAT Desire) to make/keep the phones thin.

Despite Steve Jobs belief that the iPhone was/is the right size at 3.5 inches because that's about the average reach of using your thumb on it, I'm betting that the next iPhone will be a bit larger. Not to keep up with the Joneses (HTC, Samsung, etc., but because the extra space can allow them to implant a larger battery thus being able to brag about better battery life in a 3G-LTE World.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2012, 03:48:47 AM »
Sounds plausible.

Apropos of nothing, I note HTC is sticking an extra button on the One S in China, a dedicated Weibo button. I am suspicious.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2012, 05:52:34 AM »

I don't doubt most people would be willing to carry out your request Isidnar.

And a cult that seems to advocate murder at the slightest ribbing.

Oh no need to think of it as murder. Think of it more as a public service.

« Reply #171 on: May 03, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:41:49 AM by Isidnar »

« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2012, 01:49:18 PM »
Isidnar --> this is a tech help section of the saloon.  Your first post was not really applicable to the topic.  Even if you were joking it was still very off topic.  There are some sections of the saloon where we expect members to stay on topic.

Stil is talking 'tongue in cheek' to try tell you to chill a bit. Stil uses humour to rap other member's knuckles sometimes. 
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2012, 02:22:29 PM »
Yeah, ........... humour

oooooooooo

« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2012, 05:06:23 PM »
nerds? in the tech section? impossible!

anywho apparently sony wont be releasing ice cream sandwich for the xperia play...

ive been reading lot about rom flashing but dont really understand it.

on the emulator front Super Mario 64 runs really nicely with the mupen64plus ae emulator

also check out the gta 3 ten year edition, the touch controls are ok.

xwarrior

« Reply #175 on: June 12, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »
Apple to abandon Google Maps; replace Google with Baidu in China

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20120611000098&cid=1102

ahahahahah

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

piglet

• Piglet's House
Re: Smartphones- Apple or Samsung Galaxy II?
« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »
Ok I am back in the old country and thinking about buying a smartphone but I think I only want one of the two above mentioned. My son has the Samsung and said he may buy the III or the nexus so he could give me the II. But if not I may buy it anyway. He is a staunch Linux man so definitely does not belong to the Holy Church of Mac. I am not a techie but I do have an ipod which I love, and mainly bought to use Pleco on. So my question is which should I buy? Does Pleco work okay on Samsung or are there problems? I love the ipod as I said but I hate the Itunes thing as everyone does. How do I put music on the Samsung? is it easy? Do you have to be a geek to use it comfortably? All input greatly appreciated. ONly here for a few weeks and want to buy it before I come back to China.  bjbjbjbjbj
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Re: Smartphones- Apple or Samsung Galaxy II?
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2012, 10:58:55 PM »
Ok I am back in the old country and thinking about buying a smartphone but I think I only want one of the two above mentioned. My son has the Samsung and said he may buy the III or the nexus so he could give me the II. But if not I may buy it anyway. He is a staunch Linux man so definitely does not belong to the Holy Church of Mac. I am not a techie but I do have an ipod which I love, and mainly bought to use Pleco on. So my question is which should I buy? Does Pleco work okay on Samsung or are there problems? I love the ipod as I said but I hate the Itunes thing as everyone does. How do I put music on the Samsung? is it easy? Do you have to be a geek to use it comfortably? All input greatly appreciated. ONly here for a few weeks and want to buy it before I come back to China.  bjbjbjbjbj

pleco no problem

music no problem

no geek? no problem

can you use a mobile from the 'old country' in China? maybe a problem. do research.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #178 on: July 15, 2012, 06:12:59 AM »
sorry Fozz why would I have a problem with a Samsung Galaxy bought at home? I just change the simcard right? and then go to china mobile or whoever and get a chinese sim? OR am I confused?
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #179 on: July 15, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »
my chinese bought samsung phone worked fine when I brought it back to Ireland and swapped the sim card, but I've heard stories of people buying smartphones abroad then not being able to use them in China, something to do with mobile company restrictions and sim card size. this might only apply to apple.

I don't know enough about this, can somebody else chime in?
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪