Poll

Which Browser AND which Operating System do you regularly use? Choose ONE browser and ONE system.

IE (any version)
Firefox
Safari
Opera
Chrome
Other browser
Windows
Mac
Linux
Commodore 64

Internet Browsers

• 21 replies

old34

Internet Browsers
« on: August 14, 2009, 05:03:54 AM »
Which browser do you regularly use most often? Which operating system does your regular machine use?
Options 1-6 are for the browser; Options 7-10 are for your operating system. You can choose one from 1-6 AND one from 7-10.

I was having a discussion with some Chinese middle school teachers recently and most of them were clueless about any option other than Windows IE as a browser. They just use it because it's on their machines. As anyone knows who lives here, 99% of the Chinese 'puters we may be provided in our apartment or school office are running (pirated) WIndows with the original install of IE.

Most Chinese websites are built only with IE in mind. I have accounts at three different Chinese banks (not much in them, but two of the accounts I had to open so the schools could direct deposit my pay). All three banks have Internet banking, but you must access each of them only with IE as they require ActiveX. I asked someone from a certain bank's home office IT department why that was and they flat out told me it wasn't worth the time and effort to make their website accessible with other browsers as "everyone has IE on their computer". The other unsaid reason, I think, is that most Chinese "techies" only learned/know Windows-based technologies.

The results will be useful to me in a number of ways (none of which I will profit from) so please let them me know what browser and OS you're using.

P.S. Let's just stick to data collection on this thread. If you want to play fan boy/girl for your fav browser or OS, start a new thread please.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Schnerby

Re: Internet Browsers
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 05:32:17 AM »
Well, I guess this is relevant.

I have 2 computers. A laptop and a university-supplied PC. Both run Windows but I use Firefox for the internet.

My Windows on the big computer is in Chinese. I have Internet Explorer, but that is also in Chinese. The laptop is in English completely.

Surely the Chinese Internet Explorer would encourage foreigners to download a different browser program.

old34

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 05:40:21 AM »
Well, I guess this is relevant.

I have 2 computers. A laptop and a university-supplied PC. Both run Windows but I use Firefox for the internet.

My Windows on the big computer is in Chinese. I have Internet Explorer, but that is also in Chinese. The laptop is in English completely.

Surely the Chinese Internet Explorer would encourage foreigners to download a different browser program.

I stressed which computer and browser you "regularly use". If you have an office computer in Chinese which you use for the brief times you are in the office, say to check email, occasionally browse, MSN, QQ, play Hearts,etc., but save the heavy lifting for the computer/laptop back in your apartment, that's what I'm asking about.

Your last point is an interesting one. I think it would not be possible to download and install an English version of IE over the top of a Chinese language Windows system so you're right, there is a motivation to go for one of the other browsers in that situation. But really, even if you could (install IE), would you?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 05:46:40 AM by old34 »
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 05:49:06 AM »
I only use Firefox (unless I am updating Windows, of course), and Win XP Pro.

I used to be a huge Mac advocate as I was a computer repair guy for many years in design firms, but then Apple priced me right out of their market.

blblblblbl
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. - Jack Handey

old34

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 06:42:32 AM »
Pretty good response so far so quickly.

Let me reiterate the instructions though because we have 7 voters who have voted 8 times under browsers and only 5 for operating systems.

I set up the poll so that each person could cast two votes instead of the usual one. I guess I didn't make it clear. Please use ONE vote for Browsers (Choices 1-6) and ONE vote for Operating Systems (Choices 7-10).

George

• My view of China
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:05:45 AM »
So, I went back to vote a second time, and was told.....
"Either that poll doesn't exist, the poll has been locked, or you tried to vote twice."
I use Firefox and Windows all the time on both of my computers.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Japanda

• I'm not a panda I just hug a lot
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:28:20 AM »
I use Mac OSX and Safari. If something on Safari doesn't load, then I'll use Firefox.

I might be using Firefox in China, though, because it has a proxy app you can add to it.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 12:43:07 PM »
I only use Firefox. I'm at the new job now and only have MSIE, and the site looks like crap on it... aaaaaaaaaa

I also am a Windows user (but didn't note the double vote...). I like XP but my current home PC, unfortunately, is afflicted with Vista. aaaaaaaaaa
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »
I use Firefox, but have been dabbling with Chrome lately. Have Vista on the laptop and haven't had any problems with it. Just a little upset with Microsoft, asasasasas, for releasing Windows 7 so soon. They better offer free upgrades for us Vista folks, yeah right. asasasasas

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 01:18:10 PM »
I would use Chrome if it allowed selective cookie acceptance. As it is now you have to either accept all cookies or block all cookies. A major fault IMHO.
blblblblbl
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. - Jack Handey

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »
We've got a desktop, 2 laptops and an EeePc. Only Yolanda's laptop has Win Xp & IE (in Chinese), the rest run Linux Ubuntu & Firefox.
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

BrandeX

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 06:39:28 PM »
Windows user tip:

You only need to use Firefox.

Install the plugin ietab : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

and you can use all sites, such as banks with activex programs, or Windows update, inside Firefox

chinalin

• The Great wall in winter.
    • Lin's China Travels
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 12:56:22 AM »
Sorry.  I also missed the second part of the poll.  I use Firefox, and voted for that, but when I tried to go back and vote for Windows, I could not get back in. 

Lin
Zhaoqing, Guangdong.
(but currently, at 'home' in Albany, WA)

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 04:53:14 AM »
P.S. Let's just stick to data collection on this thread. If you want to play fan boy/girl for your fav browser or OS, start a new thread please.

There's at least one existing thread on OS choice:
http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=2460.0
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 05:12:21 AM »
I use IE because I'm lazy and like you said, lots of Chinese sites don't work on Firefox, and I use those quite a lot for various stuff like internet banking and internet shopping. I used to use Firefox exclusively but it got annoying running into sites that wouldn't work with it and having to switch to IE. If the add-on that Brandex linked works then I might go back to using Firefox only. 

I haven't tried out Chrome yet but have been meaning to. IE is really an inferior browser and it is a shame so many Chinese sites are IE dependent.