Re-register after traveling abroad?

• 15 replies
« on: January 29, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
I don't understand understand- you mean you overstayed in China 3 days after your visa expired, then got a new one in Hong Kong?

I do have another Guangdong visa related question for all- I have just been told that even if you're coming and going on the SAME visa, you still need to re-register at your local PSB every time you leave the country! Is this true? I have been living in places along the PRD for almost 4 years now and this is the first I've heard of it. I did go back to Oz for Christmas and never went to reregister, obviously on the same visa, and I'm actually out of the country again now.
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »
In response to Becs, This has been on the books forever but as usual with most things in China only enforced sporadically and on the whims of the oficial you talk too. Recently though Shanghai really started enforcing this in the past few years and it has been spreading. I never used to re-register because all the info is the same and I never considered that I had let my residence because my belongings were all there in my apartment, but I had received a warning (non official) so I make sure to reregister as I travel in and out of country all the time.
Technically, if they truly start to enforce their rules, anytime you register in one place, such as a hotel in a different city, when you return you are supposed to re-register at the local police station, but I have never heard of this being a problem yet as this would mean massie amounts of work for the local officials  bibibibibi

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:24:47 PM »
It is supposed to be when you come back from overseas, so anytime that you leave the country.  It has been routine here in Harbin for at least 18 months.... within 24 hours after returning to the city must go to the police station and reregister... OR be fined.  It was apparently a change around that time... Friends of mine (who did not work for a school but had business visas) were caught by it when they went to renew their residency permits because they had been overseas in the year they had the permit but had not reregistered when they came back into the country.... (Because they had never had to in all the years they had been in the country)  That was the first we knew about it  At my university we have standard warnings now about needing to reregister when you come back from overseas...
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Re: Re-register after traveling abroad?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 11:29:10 PM »
I've split the topic guys. Although the discussion on re-registering is useful, it is confusing that this discussion is taking place on a thread about something else entirely. Remember this section is on-topic. :)

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
And yes, we've been told here in Beijing that technically you're supposed to re-register every time you leave the country.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 12:58:51 AM »
Thanks for splitting this up. It is useful information and can save a lot of hassle for some people. Especially those who rely on their FAO to do this type of thing for them. My warning came in Wuhan when I was there and moved off campus to a rental apartment. When I went to register was asked why I never registered before. I had registered when I first arrived at the school, but in the 4 years I was there I travelled a lot and never re-registered. Now when I go in to the station to register, the ladies scroll through there computer and see all the places I have been and enter in my new places that i Have recently travelled to, just another way of keeping track of us barbarians. ahahahahah

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 01:51:02 AM »
AS is right; this one has been on the books forever. I found out about it 10 years ago. The local PSB lady was understanding and reduced the fine to something manageable. Flash forward to this winter, and our FAO made a point of informing all the foreigners about this before any of us left for the holiday.

Monkey King

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 02:08:24 AM »
Yeah we got reminded about this after somebody at my school was fined (a few thousand I think!) last autumn.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »
Grrr, grumble grumble....thanks everyone. What a stupid law! Like I said, I came and went from Shenzhen to Hong Kong every 1-2 months last academic year and not once did I reregister. The only time I did was when I renewed the visa, because I know I had to do it then, and if you changed residences. Totally stupid! I suppose I'll think about fronting up next week when I get back from Taiwan/ HK....
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Paul

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 04:00:22 AM »
I wouldn't get too worried about it.  I'm always being asked to re-register but it never amounts to a problem.  I have two apartments in different provinces and live in both, and also go to HK or Korea from time to time.  These regulations weren't made for the modern age - and I've always found that the local PSB people are reasonable about it.  Technically, you're supposed to register anew every time you go elsewhere for the night, but they know that's impractical.

Just smile - that's the best policy  bjbjbjbjbj

A-Train

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 06:35:48 AM »
There's a police station on my walk to work so I just register every day on my way to and back from the uni.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 05:17:25 AM »
It seems pretty lax in Guangzhou. The police station isn't even open on weekends, so the 24 hour rule is moot. I've been weeks late and no problem, but a buddy got fined 50 RMB at the same place. I'm taller, so...  ababababab

George

• My view of China
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
My last school in Jinan registered me as living at the school. I didn't register when I moved into a flat, or when I travelled OS and back. I walked past a Police Station everyday, close to my flat and we nodded and smiled at each other.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 12:53:13 PM »
As with most legalities in The Middle Kingdom, this requirement must vary by province. I live in Henan (pray for me  ahahahahah), left and returned to China three times in my first year here and never re-registered with the PSB.... no problems.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

A-Train

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »
As with most legalities in The Middle Kingdom, this requirement must vary by province. I live in Henan (pray for me  ahahahahah), left and returned to China three times in my first year here and never re-registered with the PSB.... no problems.

That's kinda like saying "It's legal if no one catches you".  Did you have any run-ins with the PSB during that interim? If not, I wouldn't bet the farm that your province does not require re-registering.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck