What Teaching Certificates Qualify? (Beyond CELTA?)

• 2 replies

Ivyman

What Teaching Certificates Qualify? (Beyond CELTA?)
« on: January 29, 2023, 01:05:41 AM »
Hi Everyone,

We know that in years past, any piece of paper would qualify as a teaching license.

I even helped a friend, from Mexico, fill in a cheap TEFL course.

Now, that has all changed.

1. Is there a government list of which teaching licenses they accept?

2. Of course, I always champion the CELTA. It is the only one that has worked, everywhere in the world, as a basic qualification.

I wish all teaching licenses, etc. were like an international driver's license: having high standards, working everywhere, and not needing renewal.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: What Teaching Certificates Qualify? (Beyond CELTA?)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 07:39:04 PM »
It would probably be worth having a long chat with the Education Bureau to find out exactly what does and does not qualify for teaching jobs at various levels right now.

Since CELTA is sort of the gold standard, it's most likely at the top of the list.  I'm not exactly sure how other EFL certs would rank or even how a regular teaching certificate would count right now.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: What Teaching Certificates Qualify? (Beyond CELTA?)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 03:44:30 PM »
There's no way there will be an official list.
I agree that people should do the CELTA since it's officially respected and the course is actually great. The TOEIC is the other one that seems to be accepted everywhere.
Regarding the unofficial ones, I get the impression that the danger is the online element. online stuff still doesn't seem to have the same weight, but I always thought that it was for immigration and just had to be something official looking since immigration don't read up on if the course is any good