Could We Live in China Forever; Benefits?

• 0 replies

Ivyman

Could We Live in China Forever; Benefits?
« on: July 31, 2023, 07:03:49 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Since I married my Chinese wife about two years ago, things have gotten better.

1. After eight years of working in China, I finally have a legitimate employer who got me onto the social insurance.

It reminds me of South Korea: health insurance, pay into money for a retirement pension, a few other benefits.

2. The medical benefits have impressed me the most. A seven day hospitalization would cost $10,000 USD in the US. After the Chinese level bill ($3000 USD), and social insurance, the price was only about $300 USD.

That means, medical care costs 1/10th or less of the US cost. While US, etc. care is better, China seems the better deal.

3. Long-term, my wife wants kids, go to Chinese public school, etc.

4. How many of us long-term expatriates have done this? Do we have opinions?

Surely, immigrating to the five Nordic countries, Germany, Switzerland, etc. would be better. But, many of this just do not have this option. China might be a decent way, for us mid-level teachers, to live a middle class lifestyle.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Could We Live in China Forever; Benefits?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 03:30:26 PM »
I'm glad you're connected to the Chinese social insurance system,

Even though healthcare is relatively inexpensive and the healthcare social insurance gives discounts, it's not a bad idea to have health insurance in case of massive medical issues.

Social insurance for retirement here is ok, but it's not going to give you the same level of post-employment income as some of the more generous EU countries.  Like the US, you'll want to save up some money before retiring.  As you've probably noticed, the cost of living here is generally lower than the US, so you won't have to scrimp and save quite so much.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com