"Green Card" Update

• 89 replies
"Green Card" Update
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:40:15 PM »
Quote from: BBC
Media welcome China's plan to relax its immigration laws allowing foreigners to apply for longer residency rights.

According to local media reports, the Organizational Department of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China announced on Monday that it was planning to ease regulations on granting permanent residency to foreigners.

China's green-card policy was launched in 2004 with the aim of attracting foreign experts and people with huge investments by giving them permanent residency.

Some of the the current requirements state that foreigners have to be "elite talents" or should have invested at least $500,000 (£298,000) in China to be eligible for permanent residency, the Xinhua News agency says.

The Beijing News notes that China only gives out 248 green cards each year, which is "very small" when compared with 27 million foreigners who enter the country every year.

But China is now planning to change its 2004 green-card policy to attract foreign talent. However, authorities have not given any details of the expected changes in the immigration law.

The China Daily observes that the country is facing a talent "deficit" as "more experts are leaving than entering, prompting the relaxation of the policy".

Wang Zhenyao, the director of Centre for China and Globalization, suggests that the new plan should "cover a larger group of foreigners who have good education and stable jobs".

"Also, the government should use the green card to attract overseas Chinese back," he tells the daily.

An article in the Beijing News quips that with the current stringent requirement, "the world's wealthiest people such as Bill Gates may not even meet the criteria because he does not have individual direct investment in China".

Supporting the proposed change to attract talent, the paper adds that as China progresses, the country will not only need foreign investment but also "foreign brains".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-27676149
http://english.cntv.cn/2014/06/02/ARTI1401694641905153.shtml
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2014-06/03/content_17558013.htm

And

http://epaper.bjnews.com.cn/html/2014-06/03/content_515180.htm?div=-1

If you can read Mandarin.

Well now this is an interesting little development.  Since 2004 there have been an average of 248 people per year granted "Permanent Residence" in China.  That's something like 0.004% of the resident population of non-Chinese nationals.  Not alot at all.

This seems to be the realization of some of the hints made in the recent 2013 immigration regulation changes.  I am particularly keen on the notion of "stable employment" and the concept of "sponsorship" by a state sector organization mentioned in on of the other pieces. 

This would be something which I would be very interested in.

A more rational approach to long term residence, which isn't based around throwing half a million kuai into a joint melon growing venture in Gansu, would be a real boost to the standing of China as a professional environment.  Every year, China "leaks" thousands of good teachers who have come here, upskilled, and then toddled off because they have no future here.  Under the right circumstances, and with the right employers, this kind of legislation would help to retain existing skills and encourage people to make a serious investment in their careers within China, rather than treating it as a transient "stopping point".

Good news. 

Maybe.

YMMV.

[edit]

Obviously wailaw has something to say about this too: http://lawandborder.com/ccp-considers-easing-green-card-requirements/

Although it seems to have taken him by surprise a little.  Most of the news seems to have failed to connect the dots but if, like me, you are an assiduous reader of the websites of state organs then you'll have spotted ...

Xi JP attended a conference for Foreign Experts in May and said some nice things, including:

Quote from: CNDaily
He said China had long valued talent and it was now more urgent than ever to expand this input and include more experts from throughout the world.

The country needed to implement a more open talent policy, to bring in talent no matter where it came from, make the most use of it and trust it fully, he said.

[...]

Describing foreign experts as "private ambassadors" and members of the Chinese family, Xi called on them to communicate a "comprehensive, true and dynamic China" to the world.

And less than a month later the Central Committee releases a statement?  Seems to suggest that some attention is actually being paid to this issue and that change may therefore come.

I like the bit about "trusting it fully" as well - I think that's a suggestion that "what is written down should be what actually happens".
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:34:41 PM by bobrage »

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: "Green Card" Update
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:26:50 PM »
Not sure if my array of Lunatic Talents will help me out on this or not. ahahahahah  1 year, 9 months, and 27 days to go until I qualify for a greencard based on marriage.

If there is a way to qualify more quickly, I'll be happy to speed up my timetable.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

BrandeX

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 02:23:45 AM »
Just being married for 5 years isn't sufficient, or I'd have one already too.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 01:28:54 PM »
I asked Escaped Lunatic in that spousal visa thread what the requirements are for the 'green card' but I guess he didn't see it.

Can any of you elaborate further on what it takes please?

Is language ability needed? A certain amount of money? Anything else?

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 02:24:58 PM »
Invest half a million RMB in a joint or charitable venture (lower in the Western Development Region) or help a well connected Chinese guy make a similar amount of money. 

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »
Just being married for 5 years isn't sufficient, or I'd have one already too.

Have you applied and been turned down?

Technically, people who have been married 5 years are eligible. My feeling is that you may need to grease certain palms, or pull certain strings, however.

BrandeX

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:21:35 PM »
Yes, I don't own a home in my name so they essentially told me to get out and don't waste time applying last year. Also you need proof of sustainable long term income, as well as tax record for the past few years in China.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 10:38:23 PM »
Yes, I don't own a home in my name so they essentially told me to get out and don't waste time applying last year. Also you need proof of sustainable long term income, as well as tax record for the past few years in China.

Being married for 5 years is the minimum needed to apply (unless you get in under investment or some other program).  Of course, having other things (tax records, property, etc., etc.) is also useful if you want the application to be approved.  Unfortunately, exact approval requirements aren't published, so I've been checking out hukou point systems for clues.

Benefits - no annual medical probing or RP applications.  An easier time with a lot of other paperwork.  The ability to wait a year and then apply for something that drives my fellow westerners (Especially Americans) off the deep end if I dare to mention it.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 10:50:11 PM »
Unfortunately, exact approval requirements aren't published, so I've been checking out hukou point systems for clues.

http://www.shanghai.gov.cn/shanghai/node27118/node27866/node27987/index.html

The municipalities actually tell people stuff.  Not that's it's necessarily accurate or timely.

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 03:45:06 AM »
The ability to wait a year and then apply for something that drives my fellow westerners (Especially Americans) off the deep end if I dare to mention it.

I'm dumb enough to follow up on this. Feel free to PM if rather incendiary.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
The ability to wait a year and then apply for something that drives my fellow westerners (Especially Americans) off the deep end if I dare to mention it.

I'm dumb enough to follow up on this. Feel free to PM if rather incendiary.

Me too please EL.

No idea what you mean!

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »
He means permanent residency/citizenship which would mean giving up his US citizenship. It's true that a lot of people lose their mind over this being mentioned.

BrandeX

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 10:06:37 PM »

Being married for 5 years is the minimum needed to apply (unless you get in under investment or some other program).  Of course, having other things (tax records, property, etc., etc.) is also useful if you want the application to be approved.

To be more specific, I was not allowed to file an application at all, because they asked first if I owned a property in my name (besides being married) and as I don't they wouldn't give me any forms or w/e is used to apply for the card and asked me to leave.

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 12:46:00 AM »
He means permanent residency/citizenship which would mean giving up his US citizenship. It's true that a lot of people lose their mind over this being mentioned.

Yes. We've had this discussion before. It is not the green card that makes people react, but EL has mentioned repeatedly that he'd like to become a full on Chinese citizen, if possible. Understandably, most think this is a pretty stupid thing to do exactly what you'd expect from a lunatic.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 02:29:50 PM »
He who makes a Chinese citizen of himself removes the pain of being a man.
- Dr. Johnson

It's the only way you can feel no shame when your belly is hanging out.