Any Opinions of TKT Test? Not Necessary, But Good Organization?

• 3 replies

Ivyman

Hello Everyone,

This summer, I have been lazing around the apartment and catching up on reading.

One such one is a TKT book by Cambridge.

1. Does anyone have opinions of the TKT book, and the test itself?

2. In my opinion, it is a great book study of what teaching English really is.

Again, in my own subjective life, I have been an above average student, but a poor doer.

For example, I have gotten A grades in around 30 college level English courses, and have been a volunteer writer for several big newspapers, but cannot teach an ESL class well.

In my own case, TKT provides a basic framework for what we should be doing. The fact that it is testible means it is provable.

Now, enough of me talking about TKT, and actually reading the book and taking the tests.

3. Practically, I think CELTA is the absolute minimum any ESL teacher should have. But, TKT is definitely a framework.

I wish I had some sort of course in college such as "Teaching English for potential teachers," and the TKT book was the course.

I know there is "Math for Elementary School Teachers." I just took a course on "Chemistry and Physics for Elementary School Teachers." Even though I assumed I knew much as native ESL teachers and good English students, I classically made an "ass out of you and me."

4. Any thoughts or experiences about TKT?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Any Opinions of TKT Test? Not Necessary, But Good Organization?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 03:03:01 PM »
I'd never heard of it before.

I recommend checking with any schools in your area to see how they view this.  Maybe it meets some important requirements to be qualified.  Maybe it's just a "nice to have" item to pad an application.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Ivyman

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 01:12:53 AM »
1. Check out the Cambridge:

Level 3 is TKT
Level 5 is CELTA
Level 7 is DELTA

2. You are still correct. What is defined as a "nice to have" versus "need to have" is essential. I will see how my individual place looks at it.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 04:39:13 AM »
When I worked for EF University program they paid for us to do the TKT test, it was mostly obvious stuff, it's been a while since I did any theory stuff but I think that the Harmer book is kind of the Bible for ESL teachers.
I completely agree that the CELTA should be a requirement, if I ran a school I would subsidise my teachers to do CELTA, I mean, it's true that  you can do well without it, it is just the basics, but just the framework of how to make a lesson plan, it's mad for someone like me who has been quite nomadic, like I've worked with some people who are seriously good with ideas and delivery and everything, but just from having done a proper course they are just lacking in fundamentals.