IELTS examining

• 76 replies

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
Re: IELTS examining
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2009, 05:25:07 PM »
Being an IELTS examiner may or may not be good, but more importantly, you can charge shitloads for teaching a course for students on how to pass it. The truth is students generally don't want to KNOW anything, just pass the test.

So, I plan eventually do to one of these courses I can solely for the purpose of running classes in it.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 07:15:41 PM »
Conceivably a greater cash-making opportunity than being an examiner itself, but officially against the rules of certification, no?

And I kvote:

Important notes:

• To avoid potential conflicts of interest in mainland China, IELTS examiners are not permitted to be involved in any form of IELTS preparation course teaching or promotional activities
• As IELTS examining is a freelance opportunity, examiner applicants must ensure that they have a valid visa to work in mainland China.

I suppose if you got the cert and more or less immediately gave it up by going into prep course retailing...

Seems so obvious as a choice, I wonder what the IELTS people think.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

друг всего мира

• Видна из Кремля вся советская земля
    • Russian Club Shanghai
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2009, 11:54:18 PM »
In my days in another province, I knew a goodly number of IELTS examiners.  The ones that I knew were all British, 45 years of age or over; only one was truly a Cambridge University trained scholar; one was an ex-British Telephone lineman (believe it or not) who managed, somehow, someway, to crawl to the top of the heap in that city and become a DOS in a large private school (without a university degree).  In that province, it was an oh-so-clubby, so-chummy, so very British private club (the IELTS examiners).  It was very, very lucrative, lots of busy week-ends, etc.  Those few North Americans that I knew that worked as IELT's examiners in that province found the atmosphere stifling, overbearing and well, somewhat pompous (their words exactly not mine).  I was afforded the opportunity to be an IELTS examiner but politely declined. Personally, I don't do well in what-appear-to-me to be 19th century style English private clubs.  Lack of oxygen if you will.

Anyway, yes, it's lucrative, no, it's not for everyone, yes, it plays to politics a great deal and four, there are other opportunities far more socially amenable that are available to Americans.  To each his or her own, however.

Дурака учить - что мёртвого лечить.

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 12:49:42 PM »
I have the IELTS Teachers Guide, the Student Workbook and training CD's 1 & 2 if anyone is interested. 68 MB download; I could probably host it on one of my web servers if there's enough demand for it.
blblblblbl
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. - Jack Handey

chinalin

• The Great wall in winter.
    • Lin's China Travels
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 03:03:04 PM »
I would be very interested in the teacher's books, if it is at all possible, I have some students looking to sitting the Ielts test.

Lin
Zhaoqing Guangdong.
 bxbxbxbxbx

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 03:53:28 PM »
http://www.demotheme.net/ielts.rar
You'll need Winrar to extract it which you can get just about anywhere.

Please don't report that link outside of Raoul's though. There is also an installer in there to add a plug-in for WMP to play .ogg files.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:15:33 PM by ccvortex »
blblblblbl
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. - Jack Handey

AMonk

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »
Please don't report that link outside of Raoul's though. There is also an installer in there to add a plug-in for WMP to play .ogg files.

Send her a PM, and remove it from here. agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2009, 04:43:52 AM »
I figured more than one person will want it and I am far too lazy to send multiple PM's  :D
blblblblbl

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2009, 04:55:31 AM »
I want it, thanks. Already downloaded. Cheers.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2009, 06:26:42 AM »
No prob.
blblblblbl

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2009, 03:13:04 AM »
Conceivably a greater cash-making opportunity than being an examiner itself, but officially against the rules of certification, no?

And I kvote:

Important notes:

• To avoid potential conflicts of interest in mainland China, IELTS examiners are not permitted to be involved in any form of IELTS preparation course teaching or promotional activities
• As IELTS examining is a freelance opportunity, examiner applicants must ensure that they have a valid visa to work in mainland China.

There are other restrictions too.

One examiner slipped up and let a candidate leave with one of the handouts, a prompt for part two of the speaking test. He was immediately fired.

Interviews are recorded and some are re-marked for quality control. If your ratings are not accurate, or if they don't like something else (I was too informal and sometimes deviated from the script), they could fire you, but more often they just tell you that you need to re-train before you can examine again. Unlike the initial training, they do not charge for this, but you cover your own travel expenses.

You aren't allowed to tell anyone what score you think they might get. They state in training that this is a firing offense. This is actually a sensible restriction, since it is more-or-less impossible to be precise anyway. I've sort of skated by that one, telling a Chinese friend she definitely wouldn't get 5 or 8, but I wasn't sure where she'd be in between.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2009, 07:24:07 AM »
I don't know if I can get three years of glowing post-CELTA certification references.

When I signed up, in 2003 I think, references were not asked for.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2009, 08:06:08 PM »
Pahley, I am also friends with an IELTS examiner (was also working as a teacher in China but now moved back home, but still doing IELTS)- 1 exam period she went to the toilet during her break (she was assessing speaking) and accidently left the examining materials in the exam room. The room was locked, but apparently this is a BIG no no and she was banned for 6 months, then had to be re-assessed to be readmitted to examining. I imagine they have a HUGE list of rules to follow!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

old34

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »
So add the "kidneys of a camel" to the long list of BC requirements for IELTS examiners.  ahahahahah
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Monkey King

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 09:33:08 PM »
So add the "kidneys of a camel" to the long list of BC requirements for IELTS examiners.

Nah, just take the stuff in with you - you need something to read on the pot, right? Or, better yet, ask the candidate to sit in the next stall - two birds with one stone.