What are you listening to on your cd player/ mp san??

• 1187 replies

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Re: What are you listening to on your cd player/ mp san??
« Reply #360 on: April 14, 2010, 10:21:55 PM »

Slash's new Solo album!
vocals by Ian Asbury, Chris Cornell, Ozzy, Iggy Pop etc.... Been listening to this non-stop since i got it 2 days ago and it's found a spot in my TOP 5 albums of the past decade

great great great freaking Rock n Roll
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #361 on: May 14, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »
Weeds soundtracks.  bfbfbfbfbf
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #362 on: May 14, 2010, 11:13:59 PM »
Oh how awesome is Weeds... they're so dysfunctional!!! i love it.  ahahahahah
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #363 on: May 18, 2010, 06:57:32 PM »
Weeds is indeed very cool.  On spec I downloaded the pilot a few days ago, and now I'm halfway through season 4!  The music is super cool too.  It's not my usual kind of music, but it has so much coolth.  A few songs I've had on high rotation:

Hill Of Beans - Satan Lend Me A Dollar
Xocoyotzin Herrera - Anos y 4 Meses
One Thousand Tears of a Tarantula - Dengue Fever
The Dresden Dolls - Girl Anachronism

DeVotchKa - Head Honcho
Miss Li - Don't Try to Fool Me
State Radio - Keep Sake

And this one:

Great Lake Swimmers - Your Rocky Spine

Really like that last one.

Invictus

• "文武双全"
    • My Band @ MySpace
« Reply #364 on: May 19, 2010, 02:35:11 PM »
Right now I'm listening to Mike Patton's (dude from Faith No More) new solo album, Mondo Cane. He's taken a lot of classic Italopop tunes from the '60s and '70s and done them with full orchestral arrangement. But that's not the coolest part. Patton is a big fan of Italian horror and many of these songs are culled from famous composers' contributions to cult Italian horror films, like the theme from Mario Bava's Diabolik, composed by the awesome Ennio Morricone (he scored The Good, the Bad and the Ugly) as well as my favourite, Italian pop craftsman Nico Fidenco.

Not sure if YouTube is blocked everywhere in China but here's a link for your personal perusal:

Mike Patton - Deep Down

“就算杀了一个我,还有千千万万个我。“

« Reply #365 on: May 23, 2010, 10:04:51 PM »
Dengue Fever - Los Angeles psychedelic rock with Cambodian pop lyrics, sung in Khmer.  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Seeing Hands is an excellent song.

Invictus

• "文武双全"
    • My Band @ MySpace
« Reply #366 on: May 25, 2010, 12:26:45 PM »
Seeing Hands is an excellent song.

JESUS! WHAT. A. !@#$. SONG!!!

I love the pentatonic melody during the verses and then how it goes diatonic during the chorus. Absolutely beautiful.

If you like that song by Dengue Fever, I wonder how you'd find this one:

Godsmack - Voodoo @ tudou.com (not banned in China, I presume)

EDIT: Went through Dengue Fever's Venus on Earth album. Awesome. Cambodian pop with the best remnants of psychedelic '60s rock. My favourite songs are Seeing Hands, Woman in the Shoes and Oceans of Venus. Great rec!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:52:54 PM by Invictus »
“就算杀了一个我,还有千千万万个我。“

« Reply #367 on: May 25, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Godsmack - Voodoo @ tudou.com

Not bad.  Except I can understand the words.  ahahahahah

Venus on Earth is the Dengue Fever album I like best, too.  Apparently their earlier albums include a lot of 30+ year old Cambodian pop covers. So I went looking.

Currently loving:

Meta Oun Pong by Pan Ron

and quite a few from Ros Sereysothea:
Ros Sereysothea - Penh Jet Thai Bong Mouy (Ago Go) 2
Ros Sereysothea - Khernh Snaeh Khnyom Te
Ros Sereysothea - Jam 10 Kai Theit
Ros SereySothea - Brokenhearted Woman

There's a four CD set out there somewhere called Cambodian Rocks.

Invictus

• "文武双全"
    • My Band @ MySpace
« Reply #368 on: May 28, 2010, 05:15:22 AM »
I will check out your other recs but first I must get over Dengue Fever which seems to have given me, uh...fever. lol I've also passed the vid around to my friends and it's slowly going viral among us.

Here's something cool I found. A live TV performance of "Seeing Hands."

Seeing Hands @ VodPod (here's to hoping this site's unblocked)

Note how at 2:19 she sings the fast part of the verse in her lower register. It really threw me off at first!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:45:01 AM by Invictus »
“就算杀了一个我,还有千千万万个我。“

« Reply #369 on: May 28, 2010, 12:16:26 PM »
Maybe she's a smoker.  ahahahahah  It seems like in the live performances there's a few places where she's not doing all the difficult stuff they did in the studio.  I also wondered for a while too if that fast part of the verse wasn't the result of some studio effect that was too hard to do live.  And whether or not the bass player was a cokehead.

I've been working my way through Cambodian Rocks.  It's not bad, although it's a bit difficult to find something as striking as Dengue Fever.

Still really liking Meta Oun Pong.  (It's great, and not on Cambodian Rocks. mmmmmmmmmm)

Dengue Fever seem like such a cool band, though.  All of them dance like they were at a high school formal and every live video of them looks and sounds really fun.  Go them!  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Personal album favs:

Dengue Fever
22 Nights.
Pow Pow.

Escape From Dragon House
One Thousand Tears Of A Tarantula
Saran Wrap
Hummingbird

Venus on Earth
Seeing Hands
Sober Driver
Monsoon of Perfume
Integration
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 12:58:35 PM by Calach Pfeffer »

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #370 on: July 15, 2010, 07:49:27 PM »
Hmmm, gotta check out Dengue Fever...

Right now, though, it's Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark  and Blue  albums. Geez, what a wonderful and tragically under-appreciated artist... akakakakak
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #371 on: July 16, 2010, 01:00:29 AM »
I'm loving the Glee no. 1 album- will be buying the other 2 CD's at home in Oz next week. This show is the BOMB. Also even heard it being played a couple of times around Dongguan, so I know it's catching on!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #372 on: July 19, 2010, 10:37:30 PM »
Vampire weekend.  So far I like them- different sound.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #373 on: July 19, 2010, 11:57:09 PM »
I like concert music, but I am constantly searching for music to listen to while out running. Mahler just doesn't inspire me to run that extra km.

The trouble is that I'm so sick of the songs I have on my MP3 because they've been there for years. I'm so sick of listenng to old Dsstiny's Child, Justin Timberlake and Chemical Brothers tracks, and I seem to speand half my run clicking the next button.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tracks that put a little bit of rhythm in their run and fool their brain into thinking that their heels have wings on. Bear in mind that coolness is not a prerequisite. For some reason I love running to 'Einie Meanie' by Justin Bieber. The endorphins want what the endorphins want.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #374 on: July 20, 2010, 01:41:28 AM »
I am constantly searching for music to listen to while out running

I listen to Steve Boyett mixes when I run. http://www.djsteveboy.com/mixes.html

I use Podrunner: Intervals because I'm a newbie runner. http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html but he has some good hypnotic drones in Groove Electric that keep me in the zone when I can muster up the motivation/endurance for longer runs. http://www.djsteveboy.com/groovelectric.html

bebebebebe