Dell English

• 8 replies
Dell English
« on: October 30, 2007, 03:46:41 AM »
Hey guys! I back live from Beijing.  Can anyone offer opinions on Dell English?  They came into our TEFL section last week and did their little presentation which seemed professional but I also heard that in Beijing they wont supply work visas but business visas instead. Some of the other students are entertaining their offer but not I.

The things we touch have no permanence.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Dell English
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 04:09:25 AM »
If they don't offer residence permits, it doesn't matter whether they're otherwise OK or not. Walk away while the walkin's good. oooooooooo
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:29:33 AM »
I only heard about it in passing. But neither good nor bad. Keep looking and ask more questions!

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 04:36:27 AM »
They tried to sucker me in from Canada.  No visa just an F and shared accommodation and probation period and all the stupid stuff like that.  Told them/recruiter NO way.  Found my own job. I have heard negative stuff about them but nothing direct I could quote.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 09:45:16 AM »
Ugh. My preferences on shared apartments aside, no residence permit and probation periods are both deal-breakers. Don't even think about this one.

Kinda seeing a pattern between bad jobs, and cruising TEFL cert programs... ayayayayay
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 01:32:14 PM »
I don't want to totally defend my cert program but they were allowed to do their presentation and that was it.  This TEFL is definetely not pressuring us into recruitment anywhere and in fact are open to talking about their experiences at different schools.  But the big names come up because well they are big.  Dell has a new director Dr Sam someone er other, the last guy got fired.  They did change their pay structure to 80 kuai per hour with a 50 kuai per hour bonus if you complete the class and showup etc. Then there is a "bonus" pool which they lacked detail on but claimed someone in their Beijing school system was making 30,000 RMB/mo.  But I doubt that.

All the big schools will be doing presentations I'm sure but I'm not interested at all in any of them only as a last resort.  Most of the other students aren't interested either, I think maybe only 2 out of 8 are.

The things we touch have no permanence.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 12:02:51 AM »
Hey guys,
I've worked for dell for about a year and a half so I'll offer what insight I have.
Pros:
They always pay you. No bs there..
They leave you alone if you are doing your job well.
You can argue about your contract a significant amount
Cons:
The management is going through constant changes, so you never know if a guy (like Sam) will help you or be fired the next day. 
This is a chinese run company so random annoyances are common.
They can help you get a Z-visa if you're full-time, though you probably have to argue about it.
They WILL take advantage of you in anyway they can, argue specifics when you get hired and you'll be fine.

And please people.. For god sakes.. remember this is China.  If you don't argue about your job you are being had in some way.
It's possible to get 150 kuai an hour starting here if you have experience and or qualifications.

oh yeah.. "Sam" was fired and convicted of Fraud  bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 10:45:45 AM »
They always pay you. No bs there..
aoaoaoaoao

They tried to screw me out of 900 RMB.

Riz

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 04:22:34 PM »
One of my mate got screwed by Dell in Changsha last year.They had promised him to provide him Z visa which they are not authorized.Another friend of mine left teaching there part time because they had put him huge pictures on local buses to attract students.He asked them to remove them from there.He quit.They exploit foreigners.Beware!
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Short and funny quotes, Winston Churchill.