Shenzhen

• 5 replies
Shenzhen
« on: May 20, 2008, 09:23:23 PM »
Anyone been there? What did you think? Anything to recommend or avoid? Anywhere good to sleep?

Re: Shenzhen
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 10:42:43 PM »
I've been in Shenzhen almost 3 years. I don't exactly recommend it... I'm still here because of my wife and a really good job.

There is some good food--foreign and Chinese--all over the city. And, of course, tons of fake junk to buy... I now have a large collection of knock-off Olympic crap. Also some really nice bars, but they're extremely expensive.

And what kind of place are looking to stay? I think my friend stayed at Hai Wan Hotel (I'll check on the name) in Shekou--not too expensive and supposedly clean.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Monkey King

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 01:49:30 AM »
I stayed at a "Home Inn" (如家) when I was on my way to HK.  They are cheap, reliable and found everywhere in China, usually downtown.

BTW, I really liked Shenzhen - seemed pretty clean and modern, everyone was speaking relatively clear Mandarin, and not bothering the Laowai.  Found a pretty good bookshop too.  Mind you, this was during Spring Festival, when I assume half the population vacates the place.

icebear

• ????
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 02:02:07 AM »
Its one of the best places in China to skateboard. Beyond that, its culturally desolate and the social scene tends to range from 'bleak existence in a factory dorm' to 'wealthy laoban drinking tea and whiskey all night whilst playing dice'. The foreign scene wasn't really good when I lived down there, and most of the good bars are by the border and geared towards Hong Kong clientele - i.e. a bit expensive for China. Since moving away I've heard good things about Base Bar. Shopping wise, try Hua Qiang Bei (along the metro line, unsure of stop's name) for unlimited electronics stores. Try Louhu station (end of the metro, by Hong Kong border) for clothes, bags, watches, anything of the fake variety.

Besides MK, I've yet to meet anyone that is very fond of Shenzhen, particularly after staying for more than a few months. It is very much a migrants city, which robs it of much of the character most other Chinese cities can sell themselves on. But a lot of moneymakers, that's for sure.

Monkey King

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 05:06:28 AM »
Well, I only had a night there, and was excited to be en-route to Hong Kong...

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 05:10:52 AM »
Thanks guys. Im meeting a chinese friend down there. He recommended the Home Inn.

What did you think of it MK? Was it clean, safe and reliable? Those are the three things I care about when looking for a hotel. I dont care about kettle or shampoos, I just bring my own.

Monkey King

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 04:13:46 PM »
Definitely clean, safe and reliable - however, it's pretty basic, no cable TV or any other frills.  Does the job.

I've stayed in a few, and the quality is remarkably consistent around China.

Like someone said in the other thread, they can get get booked up fast.