I Married...A Chinese!

• 8 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
I Married...A Chinese!
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:20:52 AM »
Please note that the Library is only for the posting of direct information. If you've gotten married in China, and just want to curse and rant, we have other places for that.

We can get into the intricacies of the legal process of getting married here, perhaps, but before even considering the process, there are some things that you should know about the Chinese laws regarding marriage.

1. When you get married, your spouse instantly gets 50% of the value of all your real assets. If you divorce later, this has to be settled up. If you don't have the cash, the court will expect you to sell the assets immediately. You also are entitled to half the value of your Chinese spouse's real assets. (Fortunately, I don't have any of these. My sweet cracker ass is the only real asset I possess. uuuuuuuuuu)

2. When you get married, the man gets full responsibility for the expenses of the woman. Whether he agreed to them or knew about them or not. (I honestly don't know if women are also liable for their husband's costs, or not. I don't think it comes up often. I'll try to find out...)

3. When you get married, your spouse has the right to live in your apartment, regardless of your wishes or the name on the lease. Your spouse can break into your apartment, chop up the landlord's furniture, and use it to build a bonfire for all your possessions...and you can't do a damn thing about it. You cannot eject or evict your spouse from your apartment regardless of circumstances. The only release from this is a finalized divorce.

Caveat amator.

More as I learn it from my swell divorce proceedings. llllllllll bibibibibi ananananan alalalalal apapapapap ssssssssss eeeeeeeeee
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Re: I Married...A Chinese!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 04:14:51 PM »
Raoul, as always, thanks for providing this vital (for some) information. I have NO intention of marrying anyone (from any nation) at this point in my life. Like you, my only ASSet is my sweet and sagging derriere!

Nevertheless, I have some additional questions regarding this topic…

When you state that the male spouse must assume full responsibility for the expenses of the woman, does this financial responsibility extend to her parents (and possible siblings)? My male students are always lamenting about how they are expected to provide financial support for not only their parents, but their present or future wife’s as well.

Also, what are the “benefits” (besides romance and companionship) when a foreigner marries a Chinese?

When I pose this question to others (foreigners and Chinese alike) I get the same roster of replies: less visa concerns; free cooking, and house cleaning. For me, these are feeble reasons for marriage in China.

Best wishes with your divorce proceedings. I’m sorry you must face these problems in addition to all the daily life and employment challenges of China.
"I wish my first spoken word was 'Quote' so I could make my last word 'Unquote'."
— Stephen Wright.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:12:30 PM »
Wikitravel has an article on this http://wikitravel.org/en/Marriage_in_China
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

NOYB

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 05:17:08 PM »
Nevertheless, I have some additional questions regarding this topic…

When you state that the male spouse must assume full responsibility for the expenses of the woman, does this financial responsibility extend to her parents (and possible siblings)? My male students are always lamenting about how they are expected to provide financial support for not only their parents, but their present or future wife’s as well.

Also, what are the “benefits” (besides romance and companionship) when a foreigner marries a Chinese?

When I pose this question to others (foreigners and Chinese alike) I get the same roster of replies: less visa concerns ...

The Chinese are legally obligated to support their parents, but I'm not sure this is extended to parents-in-law.  Still, if you don't, expect serious problems in your marital relationship.

The visa thing is a slight plus.  You can get a one-year, multiple entry "L" visa.  Not supposed to work on it, but who bothers paying attention to that? 

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 04:37:49 PM »

This would seem to go against what (little) I know about Chinese custom and a large reason that male children are desired. From what I know, when a girl is married she "leaves" her family and "becomes" part of the man's family. Traditionally, I think her obligations to her family end at that point - but I doubt this stands in the modern world - at least not from what I've experienced.

I agree with NOYB, expect problems if you're not willing to support them.
'God it's great to be alive. Takes the skin right off my hide, to think I'll have to give it all up someday.
Lost Laowai | The Humanaught blog

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 05:28:21 PM »
I have asked my students this question in class.  The girls all say they are both responsible for both sets of parents now.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 06:02:43 PM »
Makes sense - if offspring are responsible for parents than in a single child family, girls are responsible for their parents as well.

I figure that new wave will be retirement homes and nursing homes.  Mobility is higher in China now, employment opportunities are not centered around home location, both partners work more often than not.  That's where to sink your spare money,

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 12:01:48 PM »
NOYB -
The visa thing is a slight plus.  You can get a one-year, multiple entry "L" visa.  Not supposed to work on it, but who bothers paying attention to that?

Who would i speak to about this, i'm guessing my local PSB but i would like to find out a bit more first, where do you get all your information on this subject?
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

NOYB

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 12:57:25 PM »
NOYB -

Who would i speak to about this, i'm guessing my local PSB but i would like to find out a bit more first, where do you get all your information on this subject?

Your local PSB Entry & Exit Administration. 

This type of visa has been common knowledge for about two years now.  The only catch is that you usually must apply in the city where the Chinese spouse maintains hukou.