Somebody giving out my email?

• 6 replies

Monkey King

Somebody giving out my email?
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:02:11 PM »
They haven't actually hacked my account, they are just giving out the address.  I have changed password and security question as a precaution anyway.  I've also checked my online banking and credit card - nothing suspicious.

So far they have bought some electronic stuff (TVs etc), booked a holiday, and requested items from a professional soccer club for a charity auction (!).

It could be someone with a very similar email address, but I have a feeling it's fraud of some kind.

Should I be worried?  Is there anything else I can do?  Should I try to communicate with the stores/people involved?

Re: Somebody giving out my email?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »
weird, and i can imagine quite disquieting
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:27:47 PM »
It's hard to say.  Replying to the email itself could be the trap.  It could just be as simple as sending out a bunch of these for 10,000 addresses and then sell the list of the 1000 people who reply and say "that's not me" as valid addresses that have active users.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »
Yes it could be some sort of fishing (phishing?) thing.

Whenever I buy something on ebay or use Paypal I get a lot of emails saying something about how my package has been lost or there's a suspicious transaction or something of that sort. This could be something similar, where you reply and say "I didn't make that purchase" and all of a sudden they want all of your bank details to "confirm" or something like that. Or, as EL said, they are just seeing which addresses are actually valid and active.

Monkey King

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 07:57:12 PM »
I don't think it's phishing - these emails have come from well known UK companies and use verifiable corporate email addresses, each email has been very different - but you never know.  I'll just keep an eye on things, and I wont be giving out any personal info' anyway...

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 08:48:03 PM »
Weird.  wwwwwwwwww

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Please keep us updated.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 01:54:49 AM »
I don't think it's phishing - these emails have come from well known UK companies and use verifiable corporate email addresses, each email has been very different - but you never know.  I'll just keep an eye on things, and I wont be giving out any personal info' anyway...

Make sure the addresses match the corporate emails you can find on the website or the domain itself.  I've seen some spam from suspiciously similar domains that were just registered.  Sort of like getting something from admin at raoulschinasalooncontacts.com

Another possibility is that they are spamming those companies and using your email address instead of their own.  If so, enjoy the hate mail you'll be getting. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com